• ATTENTION New Members: Please take a few moments to introduce yourself, show your commitment to harm reduction, and chat with the community in the "New Member Introduction" subforum. This will help unlock access to additional forum features and privileges.

Counting macros

Ironlyfe80

For those of you who track macros, do you use uncooked weight or cooked weight? For example, I cook 16 oz chicken, but ends up being 12 oz cooked, which number do you count?

For those of you who track macros, do you use uncooked weight or cooked weight? For example, I cook 16 oz chicken, but ends up being 12 oz cooked, which number do you count?
I use cooked weight... online it says use raw... I've heard both ways... with meats (protein source).... if you worry about the small things you will hate counting macros...after a while u can almost eye it... since meat loses weight when u cook it... i end up with some extra protein... if you are competition dieting.. it may matter..most things I measure out dry because most macros on containers are dry...oatmeal, rice, etc

Why count macros uncooked? It just doesn’t make sense to me because the measurements will always change after it’s cooked. Please educate me!

The macros on the side of the oatmeal box are for oats uncooked. Same goes for rice. You can obviously find the cooked macros for those foods but what's listed on the original packaging is uncooked. Rice and oats absorb lots of water during the cooking process so 1 cup of uncooked rice is a totally different mass and volume than 1 cup of cooked rice is.

The volume and weight difference between a cup of raw oats and cooked oats is quite substantial.

Hell ya, that’s why I like to measure once it’s cooked to get an accurate measurement. I need to know what I’m eating, not necessarily what I’m cooking. Rice normally triples in size while meat normally loses 1/4 of its weight. Please tell me if my thinking is off.

Hell ya, that’s why I like to measure once it’s cooked to get an accurate measurement. I need to know what I’m eating, not necessarily what I’m cooking. Rice normally triples in size while meat normally loses 1/4 of its weight. Please tell me if my thinking is off.

You're not wrong but with rice, like I mentioned in the last post, the macros on the bag are for rice uncooked.

Why count macros uncooked? It just doesn’t make sense to me because the measurements will always change after it’s cooked. Please educate me!

I think he means how it's measured on the label for the most part. Chicken, for example, will list it's nutritional value uncooked.

The macros on the side of the oatmeal box are for oats uncooked. Same goes for rice. You can obviously find the cooked macros for those foods but what's listed on the original packaging is uncooked. Rice and oats absorb lots of water during the cooking process so 1 cup of uncooked rice is a totally different mass and volume than 1 cup of cooked rice is.

I can understand how that can throw off measurements. I use MyFitnessPal and try to make sure I use the cooked option, but it can probably still give false information since the label only tells you uncooked.

If I’m real honest, I know with meat I like to measure cooked because my fatass likes to make sure I don’t miss out on that 1/4 that’s dropped after being cooked.:eek:

I eat 1 cup of raw oats blended into my shakes. Therefore I eat 90g or 1 cup of oats.
No more no less!:)

I need to try it, I’ve read about so many people blending oats into their shakes but I never have.

Sounds good with some protein, milk, and fruit.

I need to try it, I’ve read about so many people blending oats into their shakes but I never have.

Sounds good with some protein, milk, and fruit.
Ahh, your learning homie.
If you eat a cup of cooked oats you’ll feel bloated and sick.