Dirts Brew log

I think it depends on compound , purity , temperature and membrane being use but just my therory. Nylon is a protein binding membrane so I think that us why it is so slow sometimes

I think it depends on compound , purity , temperature and membrane being use but just my therory. Nylon is a protein binding membrane so I think that us why it is so slow sometimes
when you use pvdf filter do you put the BA after filtering? As if I remember right BA and Pvdf are not compatiblke

when you use pvdf filter do you put the BA after filtering? As if I remember right BA and Pvdf are not compatiblke
Marginal.. I wouldn't use pvdf with anything over 18-20 % bb.. and really probably won't use them.. I bought a shitload of them when I started out.. millipore.. I had a time with the few I used. I mean. I made sine gear with them and used the gear but may have been the reason one of my batches turned out cloudy... I just stick to nylon... I looked into the ptfe ottletops that dude posted a while back but aliexpress does not give me the option... haven't contacted Ted KS-TEK and asked about it as I still have plenty nylons.. I use ptfe syringe filters though plenty of data on them being the best!

Marginal.. I wouldn't use pvdf with anything over 18-20 % bb.. and really probably won't use them.. I bought a shitload of them when I started out.. millipore.. I had a time with the few I used. I mean. I made sine gear with them and used the gear but may have been the reason one of my batches turned out cloudy... I just stick to nylon... I looked into the ptfe ottletops that dude posted a while back but aliexpress does not give me the option... haven't contacted Ted KS-TEK and asked about it as I still have plenty nylons.. I use ptfe syringe filters though plenty of data on them being the best!
yeah I use PTFE syringe filters, I have found nylon bottle top at a very good prices and yeah there is the ks-tek option of ptfe bottle top too even so it's more expensive for me than the nylon bottle top I have access here in europe (maybe, still trying to figure it out how to buy it).

I'm probably gonna stick to syringe filters for a while anyway, it seems quite quick the filtration if you change the filter every 50ml, the pain in the ass is sucking up the oil and setting up everything, bottle top is more set (quickly) and forget.

How do you guys get the oil out of the bottle top filters without exposing it to the air?
what do you mean? The bottle top filters is open to the air, you drop the oil inside and have it run through the filter using suction from the vacuum pump.

It then drip down into a sterile media bottle that when the filtration is done will be sealed with a sterile cap of course. If you want to go the extra mile the cap will be one with hole and a silicone/ptfe septa so that after capping it you can draw from the media bottle using a syringe and a needle and without any air contamination.

Is this needed? depends. If you just unscrew the media bottle sealed with a normal cap and quickly suck the oil out probably no contamination will happen anyway but why risk it :)

How do you guys get the oil out of the bottle top filters without exposing it to the air?
You mean out of the media bottle that it is filtered into without exposing it to air... right? I use open top caps with a silicone insert so the media bottle is just like a big vial...however at the moment everything i transfer to sterile vials get filtered again through syringe filters at this point (so all the gear is double filtered) so I di not mind ope. Air when I redraw.. just the way I do it.. if by si.e chance I decide to cap my own vials I will do thi gs different but at the level I brew all the extra equipment is not feasible.

Yeah I meant out of the receiver bottle. I've done the silicone septa screwed onto the glass media bottle before but I'm not entirely confident about sterilizing everything myself, didn't get any infections or anything but I'm only making enough for myself so I think syringe filters are better for my needs.

Yeah I meant out of the receiver bottle. I've done the silicone septa screwed onto the glass media bottle before but I'm not entirely confident about sterilizing everything myself, didn't get any infections or anything but I'm only making enough for myself so I think syringe filters are better for my needs.
stick to syringe filters, no need to sterilize equipment, even so if you get a small oven heat dry sterilization is very simple. just crank the oven to 170c for 1h or 160c for 2h and everything will be sterilized. Be careful that the materials of the thing you sterilizing are able to handle those temperature xD

So some samples I sent in for sterility test yesterday are like this:
Sample #2 DE filtered bottletop and syringe

Sample #2 TRE filtered bottletop then drwn into syringe and directly into sterile vial.

Sample#3 TNE syringe filter only

So we shall see .. I have a feeling ing all will come back sterile..

Back