Do most people buy pre sterile syringe filters?

Para_33

Do you buy sealed/sterile syringe filters ? Or do most people sterilize the syringe filter by heat, or running benzyl alcohol through it, or some other method ?

Do you buy sealed/sterile syringe filters ? Or do most people sterilize the syringe filter by heat, or running benzyl alcohol through it, or some other method ?
You can’t sterilize syringe filter in your own just so you know, you need specialized machinery which can only be found in medical facilities.

So yeah, homebrewers use pre sterilized syringe filters.

You can’t sterilize syringe filter in your own just so you know, you need specialized machinery which can only be found in medical facilities.

So yeah, homebrewers use pre sterilized syringe filters.
Ok thank you. I was asking because in the homebrew bible sticky- under “non sterile filters “ it’s mentioned that a few ml of BA can be run through the filter, then allowed to sit for several minutes.

Do you disagree with this info? Or am I misunderstanding something and missing part of the picture ?

Ok thank you. I was asking because in the homebrew bible sticky- under “non sterile filters “ it’s mentioned that a few ml of BA can be run through the filter, then allowed to sit for several minutes.

Do you disagree with this info? Or am I misunderstanding something and missing part of the picture ?
In the past we did shit that we shouldn't. Times have moved on, presterilized filters are abundant

It might be sterile afterwards and it might not, but nobody can give you a definitive answer. You’ll have to do your own controlled testing through a lab to verify this, or you can simply take your chances like many people do and use non-sterile filters or run ba through it first, or buy pre-sterilized filters like most of us do.

I personally would not risk it, you won’t gain anything substantial from it. Just stick to pre sterilized and be done with it.

If you already purchased the non sterile, treat it as a newbie loss, a small cost of learning.

It might be sterile afterwards and it might not, but nobody can give you a definitive answer. You’ll have to do your own controlled testing through a lab to verify this, or you can simply take your chances like many people do and use non-sterile filters or run ba through it first, or buy pre-sterilized filters like most of us do.
Got it. I’m going with sterile but wanted to get it straight if some people do risk it. Thanks

I personally would not risk it, you won’t gain anything substantial from it. Just stick to pre sterilized and be done with it.

If you already purchased the non sterile, treat it as a newbie loss, a small cost of learning.
I got sterile filters. Thanks. Just wanted to double check.

I would assume the BA process was advised if you are in a bind, but the availability of sterilized filters is so high, there is no reason to not use sterilzied

What happens if you are right (or whoever wrote this BA trick) and Im wrong? I just buy sterile filters and lose maybe 2$ of each.

What happens if I am right and you are wrong?
Nasty fucking infections or just developing some anti immune disease by continously injecting stuff you shouldnt in your body. Big chance? No.

Basic logic guys. Risk vs reward.

A little bit of custom beef up would be good, people are homebrewing shit who shouldnt even use anything. Its not cool that 80 IQ people can just order hundreds of grams of raws.