Feasibility of Male Hormonal Contraception

Michael Scally MD

Doctor of Medicine
10+ Year Member
Oduwole OO, Huhtaniemi IT. Feasibility of Male Hormonal Contraception: Lessons from Clinical Trials and Animal Experiments. Curr Mol Pharmacol. http://benthamscience.com/journal/abstracts.php?journalID=cmp&articleID=128013

The general interest in the availability of male contraceptives is on the increase across different cultures and ethnic backgrounds, due in part to the fact that men are now willing more than ever, to share the responsibility of family planning.

Despite the expression of interest and tremendous advances in research however, a modern male hormonal contraceptive method has remained an elusive goal.

Testosterone (T) alone, or in combination with a progestin currently provides the most promising lead to male hormonal contraception. The principle relies on enhanced negative feedback of exogenous T to suppress gonadotropins, thereby blocking the endocrine stimulus for the process of spermatogenesis.

A serious drawback is the inconsistent suppression among men of different ethnic backgrounds. This has increased the quest for development to include other nonhormonal methods.

In reality many obstacles still have to be overcome before an acceptable method is available. In this review, we highlight recent developments in male hormonal contraceptives methods.

Based on our recent findings from animal experiment, we shed light on why the method is not achieving the intended results, and suggest possible ways forward.

Fig. (1). The hypothalamic-pituitary-gonadal axis, with feedback loops of endogenous sex steroids (left) and site of inhibitory actions of contraceptive hormones (right). Hyp = hypothalamus; Pit = pituitary gland.

HPTA-FERTILITY.gif

Fig. (2). Depiction of the 100-fold higher level of T in the human testis in comparison with the serum level of the hormone. The comparison of the antigonadotropic steroid without androgenic effect and with add-back T effect are also as indicated. For contraceptive efficacy, the testicular T levels must decrease below the threshold required to maintain spermatogenesis. If the antigonadotrpic treatment is devoid of T, then an add-back dose will be necessary to provide the required levels for the maintenance of the extragonadal effects. Legend: T = Testis; S = Serum.

HPTA-FERTILITY.gif Threshold.gif

Male Hormonal Contraception: Looking Back and Moving Forward
[For Full-Text Email mike.scally@asih.net (Include Title)]

Despite numerous contraceptive options available to women, approximately half of all pregnancies in the United States and worldwide are unplanned.

Women and men support the development of reversible male contraception strategies, but none have been brought to market.

Herein we review the physiologic basis for male hormonal contraception, the history of male hormonal contraception development, currents agents in development as well as the potential risks and benefits of male hormonal contraception for men.

Roth MY, Page ST, Bremner WJ. Male hormonal contraception: looking back and moving forward. Andrology. http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/andr.12110/abstract

Physiologic Mechanism of Male Hormonal Contraception

(A) Normal positive stimulation from the hypothalamus and pituitary which stimulate testosterone production and spermatogenesis, with thick black lines representing the negative feedback loop.

(B) Change in the feedback loop by exogenous androgens, with or without progestins, causing persistent negative feedback and suppression of hormone release from the hypothalamus and pituitary glands.

Male-hormonal-contraception.gif

this means absolute shit... What does Bentham Science do for you? I see you are getting these articles from a source. It seems they are reliable. Do you post these with reason? Or constantly find random articles for the public? Do you read them? Are they peer reviewed?

this means absolute shit... What does Bentham Science do for you? I see you are getting these articles from a source. It seems they are reliable. Do you post these with reason? Or constantly find random articles for the public? Do you read them? Are they peer reviewed?
Email him for the article, read it and then answer your own questions! :D

How is it pure shit? It's an explanation and model of the HPTA and negative feedback. Do you disagree with anything written?

Email him for the article, read it and then answer your own questions! :D

How is it pure shit? It's an explanation and model of the HPTA and negative feedback. Do you disagree with anything written?

I see what the article is saying, I believe that many people won't understand anything about the article because many people are dumb. It's just a tough read which is what I meant by shit. I was also curious on where he got this information. If he works for this company or just found a peer reviewed online journal and grabbed info from there. I actually did answer some of my question after going through the link(which i didn't know you can do. I didn't think of emailing. But thats what I mean. Many people can use this info just not take the time to get it "all". But i guess there missing out.

I feel he copies and pastes these articles all the time. Just a bunch of scientific ramble. Not trying to crap on him. I am CURIOUS!

I feel he copies and pastes these articles all the time. Just a bunch of scientific ramble. Not trying to crap on him. I am CURIOUS!
Haha well that's the bittersweet nature of Scally! "Here you go! You guys figure it out if this shit is right or wrong!" He will show you the light but he will not help you choose!

Most of the articles he posts I interpret as "look what the scientists are trying to do or here is a potential use for a drug."

Back