High Hematocrit - The life of a RBC

Hello Gentlemen!
I come to you as I have stumbled upon something which I cannot understand.

A brief background of my situation.

I have been on Nebido for about 8 months in which I may or may not have taken a short blast of some illegal AAS which shot my RBC count to the 55% hct range. Let's say call last day of my presumed blast is day 1 of Month 1. Nebido dose/frequency is 1g/12 weeks, I continue Nebido only. I discontinue the nebido around Month 16 and get no TRT whatsoever. Now I am sitting almost 24 months since last presumed blast and I still have high HCT in the 53% range.

I speak to my Endo and he says it is because of the Nebido. Endo not knowing about my blast however the blast should not be relevant anymore.

I do not understand why my HCT is still high considering I haven't gotten a single Nebido shot in about 8 month and while on the Nebido my T levels should be normal and yielding a regular HCT count.

RBC live for about 120 days and any RBCs that were generated from my Nebido or my blast 2 years ago should be long gone.

Does anybody have any thoughts or input into this? Is there some mechanism that I do not know about? That testosterone or other AAS can somehow upregulate RBC production for a longer period of time or something to that effect? My endo is clueless as is the hematologist.

Thank you
Have you had your erthropoiten checked? What is ur reticuloycte count? From what you're describing it sounds like you may have thrown off your endogenous thyroid hormone production which is impacting your RBC production. This is not my field of speciality though. An endocrinologist should be able to assess and any decent Pcp (primary care physician).

Hi buddy - can i ask what at home tester have you got? I was looking at some online myself the other day, but they all had mixed reviews on accuracy, so i didn't get one. Also, why do you think lab results in the uk can be off for hct? I'm also in the uk, and i use medichecks for my bloodwork. My last blood draw had hct at 0.511 (51.1%) and hgb at 171 g/L. Not that high (at the moment), but if there's an at home tester and i knew the results would be accurate, i'd be interested in getting one.
It's actually a certain lab at Medichecks that I've found problematic. If you export your results as a PDF, it shows the lab used and anything using Eurofins County Pathology Ltd has always been way off, at least in my case.

They use them for the bulk of TRT tests but thankfully not the Sports Hormone Blood Test, which goes to Inuvi, who are, in my experience, very reliable.

EDIT: Sorry forgot to add the home tester - FORA 6 with the HCT strips. Works great for me and always bang on what my bloods come back with.

Re: HCT home check. not sure why ya'll think you can check HCT at home with a finger prick test like its blood glucose levels. HCT is checked via centrifuging, where the blood components are spun and separated apart. A home kit as yall describe, cannot emulate this process. It's just marketing and trying to get your money. Sure, the numbers may have aligned with a few tests you got in your lab, but that amounts to the same random-chance effect seen in any dataset. It means nothing. Replicate that 1000 times in a controlled randomized study.

Re: HCT home check. not sure why ya'll think you can check HCT at home with a finger prick test like its blood glucose levels. HCT is checked via centrifuging, where the blood components are spun and separated apart. A home kit as yall describe, cannot emulate this process. It's just marketing and trying to get your money. Sure, the numbers may have aligned with a few tests you got in your lab, but that amounts to the same random-chance effect seen in any dataset. It means nothing. Replicate that 1000 times in a controlled randomized study.
1703012484903.png
Fora 6 has an R² value against the lab test venous values of 0.9853 which indicates a very strong fit.

Correlation does NOT imply causation. This just means there is an association. Sample
size? Replication? It is super easy to run stats to get the result you want.
Also, this is an Excel graph format. You would never print this in a study. So this is amateur stuff. You can tell its an Excel graph because it gives you the slope formula and the r^2. No stats program or python (i.e. the methodologies one uses for studies give you this in this format). But Excel does.

Last edited:
Correlation does NOT imply causation. This just means there is an association. Sample
size? Replication? It is super easy to run stats to get the result you want.
Also, this is an Excel graph format. You would never print this in a study. So this is amateur stuff. You can tell its an Excel graph because it gives you the slope formula and the r^2. No stats program or python (i.e. the methodologies one uses for studies give you this in this format). But Excel does.
Here's the full study. GD82 Clinical Study Report (BG, 3in1-ACS045, ACS051).pdf

n = 160

I'm sure it's not a perfect study but in my experience, it has been accurate three times in a row when taken just before a blood draw.

thanks for the study. You sure this is what you're talking about? First thing it says in the abstract is its testing BGL (blood glucose levels)...

thanks for the study. You sure this is what you're talking about? First thing it says in the abstract is its testing BGL (blood glucose levels)...
You want to look at Figure 72-73 The regression of capillary hematocrit (n=160).

Other relevant info (text isn't copied perfectly from the PDF):

Comparison method of hematocrit measurement

Test results of the hematocrit measurement were compared with the measurement obtained with the Sysmex Xseriesanalyzer. The Sysmex X series is an automated hematology analyzer for in-vitro diagnostic use in screening patient populations found in clinical laboratories. The Sysmex X series uses a specific control material, the e-Checkcontrol.

Accuracy evaluation for blood glucose meters collected a fresh blood sample from participants' finger sticks in the clinical testing.Subjects also agreed to provide a fresh blood sample for hematocrit measurement, and duplicate reference glucose tests were performed using a Cobasanalyzer. Sixteen blood glucose meters were included in the clinical testing along with three reagent lots of test strips. All reagent system units for a sample shall be taken from the same vial. Health care professionals obtained a capillary blood sample was tested immediately used six different devices, and approximately 200μl of additional blood was collected into heparinized micro-collection tube duplicate reference glucose tests were performed using the Cobas analyzer at each trial site.

I hear you say all other relevant information as if the study objective is not relevant when in fact that is one of the primary factors of relevance.
".study objectives:
This study was conducted to evaluate the system accuracy and reliability of glucose monitoring devices in clinical and laboratory studies. The study was conducted on blood glucose meters to verify proper functioning prior was available for health providers and patients in the clinical."

I do not know your business. And it is not my business. I am just trying to save you from being ripped off. I am a biomedical researcher. However, I work in the cell biology/protein area for novel biotherapeutic targets, which is why I said this is not my specialty. What I can speak to is the scientific method, study design, and how to decipher a study and real-world application. Any ancillary findings outside of the study objective are just that. They have not been tested for themselves with the same scrutiny, gone through the same methods, etc. Therefore, they are not results. They are simply opinions and "areas for further research." Which is why studies have that as a section.

If you think this is evidence for HCT measurement and you want to spend your money this way, by all means. You do you

It's actually a certain lab at Medichecks that I've found problematic. If you export your results as a PDF, it shows the lab used and anything using Eurofins County Pathology Ltd has always been way off, at least in my case.

They use them for the bulk of TRT tests but thankfully not the Sports Hormone Blood Test, which goes to Inuvi, who are, in my experience, very reliable.

EDIT: Sorry forgot to add the home tester - FORA 6 with the HCT strips. Works great for me and always bang on what my bloods come back with.

Brilliant, thanks for that! I didn't know it showed the lab when exporting the file as a pdf, i'll have a go at that and find out - cheers.

Lol, yep, lab was Eurofins. I'll say this though - their lipids panel was accurate. I had a test through the docs for that a few days before, and those results were almost identical. I'll have a gander at the home tester you recommended, cheers for that

Now that's interesting - my last blood test results (Advanced trt, lab used Eurofins) was showing my hormones quite a lot higher than the same test 6 months before. Same test - but the one before was done at Inuvi Labs. So you might be on to something there. I'm guessing that's why the ranges were different on a lot of the tests. That's quite annoying actually that they don't stick to one lab

Grapefruit seed extract

Ingestion of grapefruit lowers elevated hematocrits in human subjects​

This study was based on in vitro observations that naringin isolated from grapefruit induced red cell aggregation and evidence that clumped red cells are removed from the circulation by phagocytosis. The effect on hematocrits of adding grapefruit to the daily diet was determined using 36 human subjects (12 F, 24 M) over a 42-day study. The hematocrits ranged from 36.5 to 55.8% at the start and 38.8% to 49.2% at the end of the study. There was a differential effect on the hematocrit. The largest decreases occurred at the highest hematocrits and the effect decreased on the intermediate hematocrits; however, the low hematocrits increased. There was no significant difference between ingesting 1/2 or 1 grapefruit per day but a decrease in hematocrit due to ingestion of grapefruit was statistically significant at the p less than 0.01 level.

Back