Home gym costs vs Gym membership convince!?

bigrobbie

AnabolicLab.com Supporter
10+ Year Member
So you think maybe you are ready to convert your extra space into a home gym. I know you don't hate your gym but maybe the grass is greener or something like that.

I prefer a gym setting but for arguments sake let's lay out just a couple pros vs cons in the event there may still be some fence sitters.

Local gym:

Pro- there is always a spotter and equipment as far as one can see!

Con- for reasons that still perplex me, there always seems to be a Space Mountain size line for the bench press stations; look, bench is important but geez! Does the entire membership demographic under 35 have to wait like they're in line for a porta-potty at a music festival!

Home gym:

Pros- you can be as messy as hell and not have to worry bout small talk!

Cons- It's easy to say you'll just workout later! You may be interrupted with family stuff!

I am assuming that anyone wanting to make a home gym should be well versed in resistance training. Just for safety you have to understand that and form...

I think prior to commiting to this adventure it is a very good idea to buy some basic equipment ie: 110# barbell set, a few dumbbells, a chin bar and maybe a cheap bench. Take a couple months and see if you enjoy working out at home.

You will either enjoy the privacy or simply despise it! If ya hate it then you are saving yourself time and money. If you like it, you know for sure you should go for it! It's either your cup of tea or it isn't so just be honest with yourself.

We've decided that the folks who want to keep with the local gym will do just that....so now we're going to address the home gym heros and try to give some perspective on this project. First thing I recommend is as easy as it gets. Make a list to help with planning, focus and practicality.

The List:

1) Determine how much space (sq. footage) you have.

2) Decide on an ergonomic floor plan-you will use this plan again when equipment selections are made.

3) Set a budget for equipping your gym, then find trusted dealer(s) and finally, make a call on what / how much to buy to begin the process of furnishing (for lack of a better term).

Here is the grey area: I want to suggest starter equipment but without knowing your space and budget I'll just have to guess-ta-mate on this. Here goes:

Let's say you have chosen to get the following-

1) Dumbbell racks stocked with pairs in the 10-100 #'s- side note here, please don't buy adjustable bells. The extra money you'll spend buying fixed olympic dumbbells is well worth it! Cost estimate including dumbbell rack system=$700-$900

2) Olympic barbell set. Standard 300# set as you can add more plates later. Most include the following... 1 bar weighing 45#'s; 2 plates @45#'s; 2 @ 35#'s; 2 @ 25#'s; 2 @ 10#'s; and generally 4 plates @ 5#'s and 2 @ 2.5#'s. Also unless you want to be a YouTube viral video or the topic of your local EMT's "wtf" conversations remember the clips. I prefer spring clips. Estimated cost should be in the $100-$300 range. (If you buy used it's much less).

3) You're always important barbell bench is a must...To save space as well as money I would go with a multi function bench. An incline, decline, flat bench with rear dip bar and squat rack is the BMW of in home equipment. Estimated cost $200-$500. Again used is a money saver!

In my opinion guys and gals, this is a solid start. Remember there are endless ways to spend money stocking your gym...but start conservative, please...

Lastly, we need to understand that building a home gym is about ease of access, being in your own space. It is not to save money! It won't!

Finally, even though you are comfortable working out at home, DO NOT COMPROMISE SAFETY! USE THE SAFE GUARDS ON YOUR EQUIPMENT IF YOU ARE WITHOUT A SPOTTER!

There ya have it...another sub par post by your pal bigrobbie! Start the disagreement, JK! Enjoy!

Pros- you can be as messy as hell and not have to worry bout small talk!

True, but I learned the hard way that I should pick up my shit after backing away froma rattlesnake in my home gym. Fell over my still loaded DL weight and went ass over teakettle while the rattlesnake and my dog took turns laughing at me.

I could easily spend well over $3000 on bars alone. FML.
Fuck! I felt bad dropping $300 for my B&R bar!

I have to say though that spending the cash for a basic home set-up is hands down the best use of health-care money I have ever managed.

True, but I learned the hard way that I should pick up my shit after backing away froma rattlesnake in my home gym. Fell over my still loaded DL weight and went ass over teakettle while the rattlesnake and my dog took turns laughing at me.

I just told my dog and I'm sorry but she chuckled too!

No but an Oly bar, Texas power bar, deadlift bar, SSB bar, cambered bar, buffalo bar, and the list goes on lol
I like a Snickers bar!

Seriously, I'm only factoring in 265 lbs in plates.

I like a Snickers bar!

Seriously, I'm only factoring in 265 lbs in plates.

I've had 2 snickers bars today :)

That's why I said I could easily spend more lol. I know it's more than most would want or need but each bar serves a purpose in my training. I just wish I could afford them all

I had Powerblock db's a couple yrs after they first came out. Actually they weren't bad. If you don't have the space they are really worth it.

U-90-stand-CU.jpg

I would think $500 is minimum for basic/safe power bar

Nah, plenty of perfectly safe 600+ lb load bars out there for less than $500.

Now guys shooting for 900+ or something? Yeah, I would say they should go for that last 10% of performance for 200% higher price but I am not ever going to be that guy:)

Nah, plenty of perfectly safe 600+ lb load bars out there for less than $500.

Now guys shooting for 900+ or something? Yeah, I would say they should go for that last 10% of performance for 200% higher price but I am not ever going to be that guy:)
I will never be that guy either, but there is a difference between an olympic bar and a power bar. Just because it has a high poundage rating does not make it safe or comfortable to use.

but there is a difference between an olympic bar and a power bar.

For sure... That said, if I ever become strong enough for those differences to matter. I will not feel bad about the need to purchase a more specialized bar.

Wouldn't it be nice if you could just purchase the bar and automatically be strong enough to need it.

I would charge way more for that bar than Eleiko does for theirs that still leaves me as weak an pathetic as I was before I took out a second mortgage to pay for it.

Interesting read. Its always been a dream of mine to make a little home gym. But money is the issue. If I ever do get the money though id like to go all in. Spend a couple grand and make it really nice. Kind of my man version of decorating.
Power rack
Dumbells 10 - 150
Adjustable bench
Cable with attachments
Treadmill
Some mirrors
Tvs
Mats

Home gyms are great, ive invested over 15k on my gym. Nothing better than walking into your own gym and traini g what ever the fuck u want. If u wana superset then u superset, if u wana run the rack then u run the rack, i have 400kg of plate weight aswell. Me and my girlfriend love it. I also have a leg press/hack squat and leg extension/leg curl

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 80
Home gyms are great, ive invested over 15k on my gym. Nothing better than walking into your own gym and traini g what ever the fuck u want. If u wana superset then u superset, if u wana run the rack then u run the rack, i have 400kg of plate weight aswell. Me and my girlfriend love it. I also have a leg press/hack squat and leg extension/leg curl

That looks really good. Im jealous. Did you get everything at once or build it up slowly?

That looks really good. Im jealous. Did you get everything at once or build it up slowly?

Started off with a bench, bar, squat rack and 100kg of plates, then got dumbbells, then about 6 months later i said fuck it and told the missus to get the car out of the garage/shed as there will be no room for it lol and yeh i just splashed 13k straight up on 5 station cable machine, leg press and leg extension/leg curl

Sad thing is i work away so i only get to use this once every 5 weeks lol but its all there for when i come home for good :)