Impact of Opioid/Non-Opioid Pain Medications on Serum/Plasma Free Testosterone & Free Estradiol

Michael Scally MD

Doctor of Medicine
10+ Year Member
An Exploratory Study Evaluating the Impact of Opioid and Non-Opioid Pain Medications on Serum/Plasma Free Testosterone and Free Estradiol Concentrations

Chronic use of opioid medications has been reported to cause altered sexual function. It is not known if non-opioid pain medications have similar effects. Assessment of this effect through the measurement of concentrations of free hormones is limited.

Positivity of opioid medications (hydrocodone, oxycodone, morphine, methadone, tramadol and fentanyl) and non-opioid pain medications (gabapentin or pregabalin) in human serum and plasma samples from adult men and women were evaluated for association with concentrations of free testosterone (fTe) and free estradiol (fE2) measured using equilibrium dialysis-liquid chromatography-tandem mass spectrometry methods.

Lower concentrations of fTe (p = 0.0253) were observed in samples positive for the hydrocodone, oxycodone and morphine group compared to age matched controls. The presence of methadone, tramadol, fentanyl and pregabalin had no effect on fTe.

When compared with age-matched controls, women between 48-55 years of age showed reduced fE2 concentrations in samples positive for tramadol, fentanyl and gabapentin (p = 0.0243, 0.0045 and 0.0050, respectively).

Particular opioid medications such as methadone, tramadol or fentanyl and non-opioid medications such as pregabalin or gabapentin may offer advantages over opioid medications for treating pain with fewer endocrinologic side effects.

Measurement of free hormones in pain medication users could be important in determining their association with sexual function.

Ray JA, Kushnir MM, Meikle AW, Sindt JE, Strathmann FG. An Exploratory Study Evaluating The Impact Of Opioid And Non-Opioid Pain Medications On Serum/Plasma Free Testosterone And Free Estradiol Concentrations. Drug Test Anal. An Exploratory Study Evaluating The Impact Of Opioid And Non‐Opioid Pain Medications On Serum/Plasma Free Testosterone And Free Estradiol Concentrations

N.S.A.I.D. = EQUALS =

Non-Opioid-Writing, Sad-ass, Asshole, Incompetent, Doc-Fux-headz....

AKA - Dr. Jim....

LOL

Epsom salt bath and magnesium spray help me big time I have the odd T3 with codeine my problem is I build tolerance fast so I just stay away from downers period , deca has helped me I think it is a great tool

Ya know... I am SOO Passionately Disturbed (P-Dis'd) about the whole opioid conundrum these days I completely omitted the value of the first part of the post.

What got my attention again was the remark about "altered sex function). I DO recall wondering if my wood was becomming associated with opioid use.. I believe it was/did...

I'd almost like to see this full article as incredibly it APPEARS innocent and objective in motive... For once...

An Exploratory Study Evaluating the Impact of Opioid and Non-Opioid Pain Medications on Serum/Plasma Free Testosterone and Free Estradiol Concentrations

Chronic use of opioid medications has been reported to cause altered sexual function. It is not known if non-opioid pain medications have similar effects. Assessment of this effect through the measurement of concentrations of free hormones is limited.

Positivity of opioid medications (hydrocodone, oxycodone, morphine, methadone, tramadol and fentanyl) and non-opioid pain medications (gabapentin or pregabalin) in human serum and plasma samples from adult men and women were evaluated for association with concentrations of free testosterone (fTe) and free estradiol (fE2) measured using equilibrium dialysis-liquid chromatography-tandem mass spectrometry methods.

Lower concentrations of fTe (p = 0.0253) were observed in samples positive for the hydrocodone, oxycodone and morphine group compared to age matched controls. The presence of methadone, tramadol, fentanyl and pregabalin had no effect on fTe.

When compared with age-matched controls, women between 48-55 years of age showed reduced fE2 concentrations in samples positive for tramadol, fentanyl and gabapentin (p = 0.0243, 0.0045 and 0.0050, respectively).

Particular opioid medications such as methadone, tramadol or fentanyl and non-opioid medications such as pregabalin or gabapentin may offer advantages over opioid medications for treating pain with fewer endocrinologic side effects.

Measurement of free hormones in pain medication users could be important in determining their association with sexual function.

Ray JA, Kushnir MM, Meikle AW, Sindt JE, Strathmann FG. An Exploratory Study Evaluating The Impact Of Opioid And Non-Opioid Pain Medications On Serum/Plasma Free Testosterone And Free Estradiol Concentrations. Drug Test Anal. An Exploratory Study Evaluating The Impact Of Opioid And Non‐Opioid Pain Medications On Serum/Plasma Free Testosterone And Free Estradiol Concentrations

No I don't think with opioid modulation. However, thats probably why I saw (once a long while back) the Junk-heads at an ADHD forum advising that "Eye drops" would give some extra kick to Amphetamines. If this particular one restores beta function, that would be the case. They never specified though so I just assumed they were referring to Visine to increase amphet action so I never pursued... As I recall, I just dont think they really understand how OPIOIDS play into sex hormones...?!? Or "Libido issues"...

I also find interesting the potential PCT application...

"Because Ketotifen has the ability to stimulate the appetite, it has been studied for use with wasting conditions. In the most commonly referenced study examining this property, 22 AIDS patients who were administered Ketotifen and Oxymetholone, 18 gained an average of 11.4 pounds after just under 4 weeks (1). Further research proved Ketotifen to be a TNF-alpha blocker. TNF-alpha lowers testosterone and IGF-1 levels immensely (2,3) while strenuous exercise raises TNF-alpha levels (4). TNF-alpha has also been found to inhibit the muscle’s ability to uptake glucose, (which is known as insulin resistance). It has recently been discovered that hypogonadism and low testosterone are also associated with elevated TNF-alpha (5).

This would seem to indicate a potential use for Ketotifen in Post-Cycle Therapy."

Feel free to correct me if I missed....
:)
In the context you are talking about, could KETOTIFEN play an important role?

Last edited:
No I don't think with opioid modulation. However, thats probably why I saw (once a long while back) the Junk-heads at an ADHD forum advising that "Eye drops" would give some extra kick to Amphetamines. If this particular one restores beta function, that would be the case. They never specified though so I just assumed they were referring to Visine to increase amphet action so I never pursued... As I recall, I just dont think they really understand how OPIOIDS play into sex hormones...?!? Or "Libido issues"...

I also find interesting the potential PCT application...

"Because Ketotifen has the ability to stimulate the appetite, it has been studied for use with wasting conditions. In the most commonly referenced study examining this property, 22 AIDS patients who were administered Ketotifen and Oxymetholone, 18 gained an average of 11.4 pounds after just under 4 weeks (1). Further research proved Ketotifen to be a TNF-alpha blocker. TNF-alpha lowers testosterone and IGF-1 levels immensely (2,3) while strenuous exercise raises TNF-alpha levels (4). TNF-alpha has also been found to inhibit the muscle’s ability to uptake glucose, (which is known as insulin resistance). It has recently been discovered that hypogonadism and low testosterone are also associated with elevated TNF-alpha (5).

This would seem to indicate a potential use for Ketotifen in Post-Cycle Therapy."

Feel free to correct me if I missed....
:)

My GOD,thanks bud.

I dont used that shit. Just the spaniard reads and yeah the spaniards guys intake the ketotifen in PCT.

Thanks again

In any case, doctor, I think that if the opiods exist from the antiquity it must be for something.

I mean that it is something very classic of the capitalist world, trying to escape from all that which is estrogenized.

And by the way, once again, marijuana estrogens, which is not a bad thing, we go users smoke to get the estrogenic effect of relaxation and thus enjoy more sex.

Does it seem to be an implicit guilt-related line, or am I wrong? Dr.Scally?