Metformin Containing Cancer Causing Agents

Ophydian

I do not touch the stuff but I've seen others talking about it on here and thought this needed to be shared.

A diabetes drug has been recalled because it contains high levels of cancer-causing agent - CNN

A widely-used diabetes drug has been recalled after manufacturers found it contained unacceptably high levels of a cancer-causing contaminant.

Indian pharmaceutical company Marksans Pharma Limited is recalling metformin hydrochloride extended-release tablets because their levels of NDMA, a "probable human carcinogen," were higher than the acceptable daily intake limit of 96 nanograms per day, according to a recall published this week by the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA).
Metformin tablets are used to treat type 2 diabetes and are designed to lower glucose levels.
The recall applies to metformin tablets between 500 mg and 750 mg, sold under the brand name Time-Cap Labs, Inc.

The recall expands an earlier recall of the same product from this summer. But it's just one of several metformin products that have been found to contain NDMA in the last year. Seven other pharmaceutical companies have issued recalls for metformin hydrochloride extended-release tablets due to their carcinogenic contents.
The FDA is still investigating where NDMA comes from and how it ends up in metformin products. Most levels found in medications are generally low and fall within the FDA's accepted daily intake, but recently recalled medications exceed that. Marksans Pharma Limited, India, however, did not reveal how much NDMA its recalled products contained.
The recall applies to the following products, which can be identified by their National Drug Code numbers listed below (National Drug Codes can be used to search and identify products online through the FDA). The tablets are either embossed with 101 or 102 on one side and are plain on the other.

Metformin Hydrochloride Extended-Release Tablets, USP 500mg:
90 counts: 49483-623-09
100 counts: 49483-623-01
500 counts: 49483-623-50
1000 counts: 49483-623-10

Metformin Hydrochloride Extended-Release Tablets, USP 750mg:
100 counts: 49483-624-01[\quote]

India . . .

It's probably more than just the metformin they are producing.

All of our pharma is produced in China and some in India. Cheaper.

India . . .

No this afflicted all of North America in some of the brands supply, however I believe this is a few months old this news. Thanks for sharing anyways.

India . . .

Yep. My telmisartan from the pharmacy is exactly the same as the ones I ordered from India, made by Glenmark India. The only difference is the stamp on the tabs and the blister pack is a little different.

Which is hilarious, because it's $36 for 30 days after insurance at the pharmacy, and it's $35 for 90 days from India. 20201007_212409.jpg

Metformin itself does nothing to cause cancer, Marksans Pharma Limited has recalled their specific brand of Metformin because it was contaminated with a cancer causing agent that isn't normally present in Metformin.

Please don't spread the misinformation that Metformin causes cancer, lol. It's quite an amazing substance.

Nobody in this thread spread any misinformation, Live_Evil.
The name of the thread is "Metformin containing cancer causing agents", and the OP didn't specify anything, but simply posted a link. An impatient individual would just think, "Welp, guess metformin is off the table." without even clicking the link.

The name of the thread is "Metformin containing cancer causing agents", and the OP didn't specify anything, but simply posted a link.

They were contaminated with possible cancer causing carcinogens.

So TECHNICALLY some Metformin tabs contained cancer causing agents.. at that time.

They were contaminated with possible cancer causing carcinogens.

So TECHNICALLY some Metformin tabs contained cancer causing agents.. at that time.
For sure, but only that actual brand, and a specific batch at that. Not metformin as a whole, which is what the OP implied.

For sure, but only that actual brand, and a specific batch at that. Not metformin as a whole, which is what the OP implied.

I wish I could find it
But it was actually quite a few brands
I actually created a thread regarding this topic when it first hit the news a year or so ago

I wish I could find it
But it was actually quite a few brands
I actually created a thread regarding this topic when it first hit the news a year or so ago
Ah okay, thanks for the info. Well, my dumbass just clicked on the thread as it was recommended to me while reading through the other metformin thread, and I didn't even look at the dates here, lol.

Everybody is being too nice and actually reading and trying to understand what other folks wrote. This is improper internet etiquette. We need to start calling each other names and impugning intelligence claiming that posters are pussies and live in their Mom's basement.

Ah okay, thanks for the info. Well, my dumbass just clicked on the thread as it was recommended to me while reading through the other metformin thread, and I didn't even look at the dates here, lol.

This was regarding the original concern.

https://www.valisure.com/blog/valisure-news/study-of-crowdsourced-metformin-tablets-from-individuals-reveals-widespread-ndma-contamination/

I think I posted it around a year ago

either way it's been resolved now, but not the first time Metformin has been pote totally conta.ined by cancer causing carcinogens

Only ER tablets have been recalled so... Just use the IR one and don't have to worry of possible future recall :)