foil does not seal and because of very high movement of air I promise shit gets in there, maybe not 100% of the time... but your right if actually seal it forsure would be helpful! but as always dry heat does not sterilize as well as steam because of transfer of heat, aswell as ovens temp drops unlike PC which is also part of why its sterile. there is a very good reason even in LABRATORIES SOP is steam as even expensive ovens just dont work as well. this is not your home oven with cheese splattered on the walls and evaporating grease circulating around. the second a bit of fresh air enters a vial you need to restart the timing. tinfoil is simply not a reliable seal in with moving air. can u get away with it? prob, just for 100$ u can get a PC and know with 100% its actually sterile and is the smartest safest way. to me its a big difference between prob ok and 100% ok. ESP when you dont have a flow hood and are not familiar in sterile technique as all adds up, every shortcut adds more risk and thats just reality. we can look to GMP manufacturing even, shit happens even with high standards and oversite SOPs etc and not in a bathtub. hear about those people dying and loosing eyes from eyedrops recently? shit happens. better tek=less chance it happens.

have you ever done any work in microbiology? poured any agar plates? may be surprised the shit that rains down, esp if happen to screw up % of bacteriostatic agents and store for several months.. there is a reason PCT places sell antibiotics and its not cause guys are getting infections from pharma grade sterile gear that has been handled properly.

do what you like, but for a harm reduction forum should not be promoting short cuts.

we have science and is repeatable that u sterilize in a home PC(why u do canning in a PC and not an oven), ever seen any CFU testing done on stuff "sterilized" in a home oven? so not only logic but EVIDENCE is why you need a PC if want 100% sterile.. otherwise its just bro science. literally 100$ or even less can provide 100% sterile..

Last edited:
foil does not seal and because of very high movement of air I promise shit gets in there, maybe not 100% of the time... but your right if actually seal it forsure would be helpful! but as always dry heat does not sterilize as well as steam because of transfer of heat, aswell as ovens temp drops unlike PC which is also part of why its sterile. there is a very good reason even in LABRATORIES SOP is steam as even expensive ovens just dont work as well. this is not your home oven with cheese splattered on the walls and evaporating grease circulating around. the second a bit of fresh air enters a vial you need to restart the timing. tinfoil is simply not a reliable seal in with moving air. can u get away with it? prob, just for 100$ u can get a PC and know with 100% its actually sterile and is the smartest safest way. to me its a big difference between prob ok and 100% ok. ESP when you dont have a flow hood and are not familiar in sterile technique as all adds up, every shortcut adds more risk and thats just reality. we can look to GMP manufacturing even, shit happens even with high standards and oversite SOPs etc and not in a bathtub. hear about those people dying and loosing eyes from eyedrops recently? shit happens. better tek=less chance it happens.

have you ever done any work in microbiology? poured any agar plates?

do what you like, but for a harm reduction forum should not be promoting short cuts.
So, is the part about using the oven useless? Can I just use the pressure cooker in the sterilization process?

if want to be certain you have sterile things ya you want PC.. you can clean and dry and place in a jar or turkey bag to keep moisture off.

while yes possible in oven its not BEST to ensure clean and sterile.

clean, rinse, iso rinse, distilled water rinse, dry, PC... work infront of laminar flow hood or still air box (as at least prevent shit from raining into vials) with proper tech u can be 100% sterile in a SAB but of course laminar flow hood Is best... yes you inject air into vial but LESS germs in there is always best. I like leaving syringe cover on when pull air into syringe even ;) no evidence but makes sense, less you breath on the needle and bacteria/virus at least have to overcome a little gravity and tiny bit of clean air inside the cover at least, splitting hairs a bit though..