Obesity & AAS

Michael Scally MD

Doctor of Medicine
10+ Year Member
The administration of AAS to increase muscle mass and strength is commonly found in treatment of chronic diseases. This includes HIV+, cancer, chronic renal failure, and others. As I demonstrate in the book, “Anabolic Steroids - A Question of Muscle: Human Subject Abuses in Anabolic Steroid Research,” the research supporting this treatment does not include the period after stopping AAS. I recognized this and sought to develop a treatment for anabolic steroid induced hypogonadism. After successfully developing a treatment, I began to develop programs aimed at individuals with chronic disease that would promote positive body composition changes but without the attendant hypogonadism after stopping AAS.

The following is an example of one such patient. The initial (baseline) lab and body composition testing are done prior to initiation of AAS. [Note: The CBC changes on recheck were normal. For obvious reasons, I am not including the AAS schedule.] The final lab and body composition testing are upon the conclusion of the AIH protocol. AAS administration is for 12 weeks followed by the AIH protocol. The diet and exercise are tailored to the patient. The HPTA suffers no suppression. Significantly, the body composition changes include an increase in lean body mass from 62.3 to 71.4 kg (+9.1); a decrease in body fat from 22.1 to 14.4 kg (-7.7); a slight increase in total body weight from 88.1 to 89.5 kg (+1.4). Overall, these changes reflect a decrease in body fat from 26.2% to 16.7% (-9.5%).

CD-5.gif CD-6.gif CD-1.gif CD-7.gif CD-3.gif

Last edited:
The initial (baseline) lab and body composition testing are done prior to initiation of AAS. The final lab and body composition testing are upon the conclusion of the AIH protocol. AAS administration is for 12 weeks followed by the AIH protocol. The identical AAS schedule is used for both patients. In this case study, the body composition scan available is prior to the AIH protocol upon conclusion of AAS administration. As above, the diet and exercise are tailored to the patient.

The body composition changes include an increase in lean body mass from 59.5 to 63.4 kg (+3.9); a decrease in body fat from 32.3 to 24.9 kg (-7.4); a decrease in total body weight from 94.8 to 91.5 kg (-4.3). Overall, these changes reflect a decrease in body fat from 35.2% to 28.2% (-7.0%).

rb_dexa(before)-1.gif rb_dexa(after)-2.gif

Last edited:
Interesting!! When I used to read MM2000, I recall a doctor who went by Dr. X and would write about being HIV+ and the use of steroids. I believe his real name was Michael Dullnig, M.D.. I always found the articles very intriguing. Unfortunately, he started therapy when his T-cells were very low <10 and even though he was making great progress he came down with retinitis ( I believe) and I think he took his own life after that...

Last edited by a moderator:
Back