Oil loss using syringe/needles;

OmL

Right now I’m usin Excel syringes, drawing with a 25g and injecting with a 27g.

I draw to the 1ml line. I take a tiny bit of air to empty the needle, change the needle over and then get rid of the air. I loose a minuscule amount of gear, literally the tiniest bit I can imagine just as it pops out from the needle tip.

Tonight I did my 8th injection from this supposed 10 ml vial and it is now empty. This would mean that for every 8 injections, that 2ml gets wasted. Or 0.25ml per pin gets wasted. This equates to a loss of 20%, right? This really doesn’t seem right to me. I’m 100% confident in my injection technique, and so is my wife (works in the relevent Industry to even do it for me usually). I don’t want to name the source, but I genuinely am beginning to think that perhaps they fill their vials to 9ml. As loosing 0.125ml per syringe use seems possible to me.

Does anyone have any input? Or experiences? Trying to get insulin pins in My home country is harder than sourcing gear and ancillary medications themselves.

Highly likely the shortage was simply from an underfilled vial. You probably don't need to be nearly as concerned about air clearance though. Just swap the needles and don't get wrapped up in it. You aren't injecting into a vein and you are never going to have a problematic volume of air even if you were.

I draw to the 1ml line. I take a tiny bit of air to empty the needle, change the needle over and then get rid of the air. I loose a minuscule amount of gear, literally the tiniest bit I can imagine just as it pops out from the needle tip.

Tonight I did my 8th injection from this supposed 10 ml vial and it is now empty. This would mean that for every 8 injections, that 2ml gets wasted. Or 0.25ml per pin gets wasted. This equates to a loss of 20%, right? This really doesn’t seem right to me. I’m 100% confident in my injection technique, and so is my wife (works in the relevent Industry to even do it for me usually). I don’t want to name the source, but I genuinely am beginning to think that perhaps they fill their vials to 9ml. As loosing 0.125ml per syringe use seems possible to me.

Does anyone have any input? Or experiences? Trying to get insulin pins in My home country is harder than sourcing gear and ancillary medications themselves.
There’s no need to clear the air bubble out. It takes a surprisingly large amount of air into a vein to cause an embolism. And you’re doing IM not IV. I leave a 0.5 ml bubble on purpose to clear the oil out of the needle base, in fact.

Some loss is normal, but 20% likely means an underfilled vial unless you’re drawing and injecting like an absolute Neanderthal.

You typically lose .1ml that gets stuck in the plastic tip. So I’d say your vial was under filled a ML

This bald beard guy loves this - talks about it all day long

This is the first time I ever commented on underfilled vials.

What’s your explanation since you want to be so helpful?

Edit: oops nevermind, I looked at your post history. You don’t contribute anything of note. Except you actually order from steroidify. Lol. How’s that going?

Last edited:
Are you accounting for oil lossed inside the tips? I think that in itself is close to 0.1ml, which is factored in on the syringe. If you look the first notch should be raised from the edge of the barrel/syringe.

OCD

If the next vial is the same, I’ll bring up the topic again and I’ll name them. I’ll keep another log and I’ll share it next time.

Pre load a couple syringes and boom you'll know how many mls is in the vial.