Oxycodone vs. Oxycontin

baja212

Just had a vasectomy done today, the surgeon gave me Oxycontin for the pain.

Whats the diiference between Oxycodone and Oxyconytin?
Has anyone had an experience with either one of them?

The drugs themselves are the same. The preparations are different. Oxycontin contains more oxycodone than percocet, but it is also prepared as a "sustained release", or "time release". This means they can give a large dose, which will slowly be released over a period of time to maintain a steady concentration in the body.

Oxycodone hydrochloride is an opioid pain reliever. It is an active ingredient in many different prescription medications, including OxyContin. It is available by itself (such as in OxyContin or short-acting OxyIR) or in combination with other active ingredients (such as in Percocet).

While most oxycodone products are taken every four to six hours as needed for pain, there are also long-acting oxycodone medications designed to be taken only twice a day. These medications include OxyContin and generic versions of OxyContin. These extended-release medications are designed to release the medication slowly over a 12-hour period.

In some ways, "oxycodone" can be considered a generic name for OxyContin, as oxycodone is the active ingredient in the product. However, oxycodone is also the active ingredient in many other medications, so it is probably better to use a term such as "oxycodone extended release" to describe the generic versions of OxyContin.

I hope that helps

yes what he said^^^^

Ill add oxcycotin is just the active ingredient no aspirin(acetaminophen)so taking larger doses is easier on the liver.

warning highly addictive bro...

The drugs themselves are the same. The preparations are different. Oxycontin contains more oxycodone than percocet, but it is also prepared as a "sustained release", or "time release". This means they can give a large dose, which will slowly be released over a period of time to maintain a steady concentration in the body.

Oxycodone hydrochloride is an opioid pain reliever. It is an active ingredient in many different prescription medications, including OxyContin. It is available by itself (such as in OxyContin or short-acting OxyIR) or in combination with other active ingredients (such as in Percocet).

While most oxycodone products are taken every four to six hours as needed for pain, there are also long-acting oxycodone medications designed to be taken only twice a day. These medications include OxyContin and generic versions of OxyContin. These extended-release medications are designed to release the medication slowly over a 12-hour period.

In some ways, "oxycodone" can be considered a generic name for OxyContin, as oxycodone is the active ingredient in the product. However, oxycodone is also the active ingredient in many other medications, so it is probably better to use a term such as "oxycodone extended release" to describe the generic versions of OxyContin.

I hope that helps

Does Oxycontin relax you and give you that spacey feeling like Oxycodone?
I've taken Oxycodone before and that was exactly how I felt. BTW, It helps the pain as well!!

I hope that helps

I'm sure that living in Georgia has NOTHING to do with this knowledge!! LOL

this reply is late .....

but if you're really earnestly interested, ibuprofen 600mg (i.e., OTC Advil 200mg 3 tablets) 3 or 4 times daily for about 72 hours starting immediately after the procedure works as well or better than any oral opiate

..... and doesn't cause constipation or mess with your mood.

:)

p.s. my son-in-law says a little herb potentiates the analgesic effect of ibuprofen for post-op (including dental) pain

Last edited:
this reply is late .....

but if you're really earnestly interested, ibuprofen 600mg (i.e., OTC Advil 200mg 3 tablets) 3 or 4 times daily for about 72 hours starting immediately after the procedure works as well or better than any oral opiate

p.s. my son-in-law says a little herb potentiates the analgesic effect of ibuprofen for post-op (including dental) pain

Well that's all fine and good, but when I have an excuse (and the Dr's blessing) to take some opiates, the last thing I wanna do is go the OTC route. :DLOL:drooling:

SO NOT TRU!!!!

1 80mg oxycontin pill will have you more drowsy then 2000mg (6pill) oxycodone/hydrocodony or perocet!!!

this reply is late .....

oxycodone is packaged with tylenol, an example is percocet.

Oxycontin is the same drug without any tylenol. They are available in very high doses which are time release. Junkies chew them, or crush them and shoot or snort them to get the maximum effect.