Reconstitution of QSC NAD+

gburdell

Big Time Noob here, with a question about reconstituting NAD+ purchased from QSC about a month ago. I'd post in the QSC UGL thread where there's been some discussion of this, but again, I'm a Big Time Noob. My apologies for the length of this post, if I'd had more time I would have written something shorter.

The QSC NAD+ came as a kit of 140mg vials, physically bigger than what I'm used to for HGH or peptides, same height, but larger diameter. I reconstituted seven vials with 1.4ml of BAC per vial to make 7ml of a 100mg/ml solution of which I injected 1ml IM to the lateral thigh. It hurt like a mofo, worse than test PIP. A rash presented at the injection site within a couple of hours. Pain lasted for almost a week, with walking being especially painful. Obviously this wasn't fun, but it was also out of character from anything I'd experienced with QSC product -- everything else worked well.

Looking at the QSC forum, it's clear that it wasn't just me, most everyone had a similar or worse reaction, with some having fevers. If I weren't so stubborn -- and maybe stupid, I would have trashed it all right there, but I didn't.
I filtered the remaining 6ml of solution through a 22μm filter, and then tried injecting that. It seems that that stopped the rash, and reduced the PIP a bit, but it was still there. Forgive the pun, but this was not a good solution.

Reading along in the QSC thread, @gettinginshape tested his similar solution for pH with strips and was seeing something between 3-4. This got me thinking that the PIP may be related to the acidity.

I tested my solution and saw 2.5 on a cheapo Amazon pH meter; per Google, NAD+ doesn't survive long in a very acidic solution, so I pitched what I had. Using my new-found Broscience degree, and despite my failing of chemistry in college, I expect that as pH is logarithmic, that diluting with water won't result in a volume of solution that will be able to be reasonably injected, at least short of taking on a liter of saline with each dose.

Experimentally, I came up with reconstituting a 140mg vial with 1ml of BAC and 400μl of 8.4% NaOH buffer solution resulting in the 100mg/ml solution I was looking for, but at a much more reasonable pH of 6.5. I injected 1ml of this new solution a few hours ago without any discomfort.

My questions are regarding my Broscience here -- was my thinking generally sound? Anything I should be thinking/doing differently? It seems to work, and unless NaOH damages the NAD+, I believe I've found a reasonable solution -- any thoughts from the more experienced among you?

Separate but related, is acidity an issue with peptides and related injectables? I don't have a ton of experience, but have injected a lot of peptides and similar and never had any reaction anything like this. Do other NAD+ suppliers maybe pre-buffer their NAD+ before lypholyzing it?

Did a little bit more research into this myself (injection site reaction that I had seemed very typical of an acidic product, which is why I tested the pH of the reconstituted solution). I went ahead and did a few additional tests of a couple of substances that I've got reconstituted currently and nothing indicated too far off neutral pH. I have a few things I plan to reconstitute in the coming days so I'll probably test those for the sake of curiosity as well.

Based on some preliminary searching, NAD+ is claimed to be a basic rather than acidic compound according to this source:

I need to spend some time revisiting all of the chemistry that I haven't touched in about 15 years, but if the above is accurate it raises more questions than answers to me as to what exactly is contained in the NAD+ vials from QSC. Kind of wishing I'd kept a vial to send out for testing.

I'd love to see an ingredient list for one of the compounded products...

@gettinginshape - thanks for the additional info. I wish I'd held back on a vial too, would have loved to have sent one in for testing.

Now that I can post in the big boy QSC thread, I'm going to take this convo back there where there was some other interest.

When I brew anything I buffer it with baking soda get the ph above 7. That said, others in the qsc thread reported far abnormal reactions to these vials. I believe them to be contaminated. Severe reactions with fevers from nearly every user report. I recommend throwing them in the trash tbh.

All in all, they’re still a great sourc e

@Date_Mike, I hear ya, and you're certainly right, but I didn't have the contamination-related effects at all. Once buffered, all seems fine. So fuck it.
If I get some tested by @janoshik will contaminants be noted, or just purity?

When I brew anything I buffer it with baking soda get the ph above 7. That said, others in the qsc thread reported far abnormal reactions to these vials. I believe them to be contaminated. Severe reactions with fevers from nearly every user report. I recommend throwing them in the trash tbh.

New to adjusting ph of peptides and injectables. Do you make a solution using baking soda and distilled/purified water then add to the peptide drop by drop until the desired ph is achieved? Then I'd assume it is ran through a .22 filter?

New to adjusting ph of peptides and injectables. Do you make a solution using baking soda and distilled/purified water then add to the peptide drop by drop until the desired ph is achieved? Then I'd assume it is ran through a .22 filter?
Thus far, I've just purchased 8.4% NaOH online, done some Googling to get a reasonable starting place, and gone from there. We don't need to be exact, just want a neutralish pH, so 6.5 to neutral or so.

As I get more into this, I'm becoming more confident that we can just be careful and make our own NaOH solution and filter it as you suggest. Same as the BAC water I'm making.

@Date_Mike, I hear ya, and you're certainly right, but I didn't have the contamination-related effects at all. Once buffered, all seems fine. So fuck it.
If I get some tested by @janoshik will contaminants be noted, or just purity?
Some absolutely gnarly buffer reactions. Everyone is different but when I’ve injected a acidic substances, it doesn’t affect me THAT bad

For whatever it's worth, injection site only reaction for me. Very in line with other too-acidic injections i've experienced previously.

I will never advocate ingesting untested substances (Although, in a shining light of hypocrisy...clearly, I have myself), and in fact would strongly recommend against doing so with this product with all of the questions and reactions around it.

I ended up buying another 140mgx10 kit and 50g of raw of NAD+ from QSC. As I kind of expected, when I separately prepared some of each at 100mg/ml with BAC water, the pH came out almost identically -- 2.4 for the lyophilized stuff, and 2.3 for the raw. Buffering with 110ul of 8.4% NaOH per ml brought the pH of each up to the low 6s. I dosed 100mg (1ml) this morning IM, and feel nothing amiss.

I'm confident now that there was nothing "wrong" with the lyophilized stuff that was causing us problems, except that it needs to be buffered.

That said, @QSC, I don't think I've seen another lyophilized product from anyone that needed anything more than reconstitution with BAC water. Do you have other products like this? I'd think that buffer could be added to the vials along with the lyophilizate, no?

I fully expect to have to do some research and come up with a recipe when dealing with raws, but not with vials -- but I could be totally wrong on this.

GPB

My (limited, bro science) understanding is that dramatic shifts in pH can happen during the lyophilization process, something about insufficient drying of solutes in one of the steps...

Unless handled correctly in another step that can denature the proteins, but if it's not turning into goo when reconstituted (like the bad AOD everyone's been selling) then it's probably still effective.

That said, something this acidic could (has) seriously hurt people if they don't know to reconstitute this batch differently. Any it's also just a huge quality control failure

@Qingdao Sigma Chemicals what say you here?

My (limited, bro science) understanding is that dramatic shifts in pH can happen during the lyophilization process, something about insufficient drying of solutes in one of the steps...

Unless handled correctly in another step that can denature the proteins, but if it's not turning into goo when reconstituted (like the bad AOD everyone's been selling) then it's probably still effective.

That said, something this acidic could (has) seriously hurt people if they don't know to reconstitute this batch differently. Any it's also just a huge quality control failure

@Qingdao Sigma Chemicals what say you here?
I don't think it was anything due to the lyophilization process, as both NAD+ from the vials and raw powder came out to a a pH of 2.3 once reconstituted.

Oh yes, lol, you're right. That's why I only have an Associates in Bro Science.

Welp. The last part of what I said stands: big QC and safety issue, however it happened...

Based on their lack of response here is that once they sell off what they have of the lyophilized stuff, that they won't bother making another batch.

They recently lowered the price dramatically. Maybe sell off what they have? They should bin it and start over, really.

Buffering seems like a decent idea, but how do we know we aren't destroying what's in there?
Typical buffer solutions like PBS are recommended by. most actual peptide manufacturers, check MedChemExpress for recommended reconstitution methods. That being said, i think OP mentioned using NaOH so Im not sure where or which specific chemical reaction that can ignite with any given peptide, let alone NAD. Curious if @gburdell noticed any change in efficacy using your method? Also curious how you came up with the stock solution ratios you did?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-10-18 at 1.18.29 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-10-18 at 1.18.29 PM.png
    171.2 KB · Views: 29
Typical buffer solutions like PBS are recommended by. most actual peptide manufacturers, check MedChemExpress for recommended reconstitution methods. That being said, i think OP mentioned using NaOH so Im not sure where or which specific chemical reaction that can ignite with any given peptide, let alone NAD. Curious if @gburdell noticed any change in efficacy using your method? Also curious how you came up with the stock solution ratios you did?
Firstly, I realize that I misspoke earlier -- I used 8.4% sodium bicarb, not hydroxide. This Sigma-Aldrich doc linked below states that solutions can be made from either.

In any event, it seems that this stuff doesn't have much of any shelf life once reconstituted. You'd need to reconstitute it as needed, which is maybe why there's such a relatively small amount in each vial -- pretty much one healthy dose.

I later got some NAD+ raw from QSC, and saw almost the exact same pH when I put it into solution. I just don't think they buffered the lyophilizate at all, and probably didn't realize that they needed to.

https://www.sigmaaldrich.com/deepweb/assets/sigmaaldrich/product/documents/668/557/n8285pis.pdf