SHBG low ; what can it indicate ?

chip douglas

My latest SHBG was :

SHBG 17 ( 10 - 73 )

But I have low Total T, therefore what can this low SHBG can reveal in terms of relationship to other hormones such as Estrogens and insulin ?

Excellent question. I have similar SHBG results. I sit right on the bottom of the range, even under it.

chip douglas said:
My latest SHBG was :

SHBG 17 ( 10 - 73 )

But I have low Total T, therefore what can this low SHBG can reveal in terms of relationship to other hormones such as Estrogens and insulin ?
How are your adrenals and thyroid, there is a connection.

JanSz said:
How are your adrenals and thyroid, there is a connection.

My thyroid so far as test results are concerned looks fine. My adrenals....well, I had low urinary Cortisol.

In 8:30 hours from now, I'm having a Cortrosyn test.

chip douglas said:
My latest SHBG was :

SHBG 17 ( 10 - 73 )

SHBG is reduced by: high insulin (insulin resistance/diabetes), low thyroid, high testosterone, high DHEA, high growth hormone, low estrogens, low progesterone, high dihydrotestosterone

SHBG is increased by: low insulin, high thyroid, high estrogens, high progesterone, low testosterone, low DHEA, low growth hormone, low Dihydrotestosterone.

Low SHBG increases Free Testosterone.
High SHBG reduces Fress Testosterone

The hormone with the strongest effect on SHBG is insulin.

Low SHBG is most often strongly correlated with diabetes or insulin resistance.

High androgen levels such as the use of supraphysiologic doses of testosterone can also drive SHBG down.

Most cases of insulin resistance/type II diabetes start with hypothyrodism (low thyroid hormone levels). Treating thyroid hormone deficiency can prevent the development of insulin resistance and diabetes. Once the horse is out of the barn - and diabetes type II is present, increasing thyroid hormone alone may not always reverse insulin resistance since other hormone imbalances may occur to perpetuate insulin resistance (e.g. testosterone deficiency or adrenal fatigue - which in turn worsens conversion of T4 to T3, etc.) or end-organ damage may occur which may be irreversible. Insulin resistance itself can worsen thyroid function - thus causing a positive feedback loop or death spiral - by causing loss of zinc and iodine and by causing nervous system damage. This is where the relationships between hormone systems and nutrition become highly intricate and undoing problems can become complex.

marianco said:
SHBG is reduced by: high insulin (insulin resistance/diabetes), low thyroid, high testosterone, high DHEA, high growth hormone, low estrogens, low progesterone, high dihydrotestosterone

SHBG is increased by: low insulin, high thyroid, high estrogens, high progesterone, low testosterone, low DHEA, low growth hormone, low Dihydrotestosterone.

Low SHBG increases Free Testosterone.
High SHBG reduces Fress Testosterone

The hormone with the strongest effect on SHBG is insulin.

Low SHBG is most often strongly correlated with diabetes or insulin resistance.

High androgen levels such as the use of supraphysiologic doses of testosterone can also drive SHBG down.

Most cases of insulin resistance/type II diabetes start with hypothyrodism (low thyroid hormone levels). Treating thyroid hormone deficiency can prevent the development of insulin resistance and diabetes. Once the horse is out of the barn - and diabetes type II is present, increasing thyroid hormone alone may not always reverse insulin resistance since other hormone imbalances may occur to perpetuate insulin resistance (e.g. testosterone deficiency or adrenal fatigue - which in turn worsens conversion of T4 to T3, etc.) or end-organ damage may occur which may be irreversible. Insulin resistance itself can worsen thyroid function - thus causing a positive feedback loop or death spiral - by causing loss of zinc and iodine and by causing nervous system damage. This is where the relationships between hormone systems and nutrition become highly intricate and undoing problems can become complex.

Hi Marianco,

Thanks for the clear reply to my initial query. My Dihydrotestosterone is high normal at :

Dihydrotestosterone : 1 599 pmol/L ( Ref. range [men age 20-49] : 217 - 1650)

Bioavailable T was : Bioavailable Testosterone 7.0 ( 2.0-14.0) nmol/L

E2 was : Estradiol-17B 93 men : 42-151 pmol/L

and SHBG : SHBG 17 ( 10 - 73 )

I'm going for a Cortrosyn trial in less than an hour this morning. Plus, last week I another whole hormone, chemistry, urinalysis performed, so should be getting a lot of test results in about a week from now with fresh readings. I can tell you with confidence that the only symptom that persists is the low sex drive, all else is now fine.

Marianco, what you have written really sounds familiar to my situation.

Is there anything that can be done about insulin resistance? I eat well, train regularly, and am of a healthy bodyweight. I've found taking r-ala has improved my well being significantly. Is there anything else that can be done?

eeso said:
Marianco, what you have written really sounds familiar to my situation.

Is there anything that can be done about insulin resistance? I eat well, train regularly, and am of a healthy bodyweight. I've found taking r-ala has improved my well being significantly. Is there anything else that can be done?

For inuslin resistance chromium, vandium, zinc, magneisum defieincy have been associated.
Gynemma may be of help as well. Its an indian herb that has been used for 1000 of years known as the sugar destroyer. Chip this goes right back to your elevated homocysetine levels and insulin resistance. See the vicious cycle?

Last edited:
hardasnails1973 said:
For inuslin resistance chromium, vandium, zinc, magneisum defieincy have been associated.
Gynemma may be of help as well. Its an indian herb that has been used for 1000 of years known as the sugar destroyer. Chip this goes right back to your elevated homocysetine levels and insulin resistance. See the vicious cycle?

Yep, from what Marianco said, insulin is what has the most impact on lowering SHBG. There's also my DHT which can lower it, which is high normal as you could see. My testosterone is also low. Now would it be correct to think that insulin can lower LH ?

That being said, i know that if I take fish oil now, I'll be horny later on this evening. Now what does fish oil alter that makes it work that fast on me ?

I know that fish oil has some effect on both serotonin and dopamine, and on NO. It also has effects on HDL/LDL and triglycerides.

Since fish oil helps a lot in restoring my sex drive, doesn't this reveal something through it's effect ?

chip douglas said:
Yep, from what Marianco said, insulin is what has the most impact on lowering SHBG. There's also my DHT which can lower it, which is high normal as you could see. My testosterone is also low. Now would it be correct to think that insulin can lower LH ?

That being said, i know that if I take fish oil now, I'll be horny later on this evening. Now what does fish oil alter that makes it work that fast on me ?

I know that fish oil has some effect on both serotonin and dopamine, and on NO. It also has effects on HDL/LDL and triglycerides.

Since fish oil helps a lot in restoring my sex drive, doesn't this reveal something through it's effect ?
Your DHT and E2 are the problem my SHBG is 22 but my Total T is up in the upper 1/3 of my labs range. And I keep my E2 down between 15 to 20 lower SHBG is much better the higer.

chip douglas said:

Also need to look at acetylcholine as neurotransmitter which plays major impact in sexual drive.
Probably why you respond to the egg yolks so good the choline driving the acteylcholine

hardasnails1973 said:
Also need to look at acetylcholine as neurotransmitter which plays major impact in sexual drive.
Probably why you respond to the egg yolks so good the choline driving the acteylcholine

Isn't it Dopamine that plays a major role in sex drive ?

You're right though Ach does play a role, but i thought it was more in the erection department through cGMP and NO.......in the cascade reaction.

Would you have any source for a link between Ach and sex drive by any chance :) ?

chip douglas said:
Isn't it Dopamine that plays a major role in sex drive ?

You're right though Ach does play a role, but i thought it was more in the erection department through cGMP and NO.......in the cascade reaction.

Would you have any source for a link between Ach and sex drive by any chance :) ?

acetyl carniteine , Choline and B5 raise up acteyl choline. i am low in both LOL so that tells that story LOL I am low on acteyl groups which can be supplied with apple cide vinegar.

For what it's worth, I have taken Galanthamine, Aricept and Exelon which all increase Ach and they never changed libido. Trust me, I would have noticed first thing in the morning and again that evening if not sooner.

After the finding of low free-t, I was prescribed Androgel or Testim. Spontaneous erections occured briefly following treatment onset after being absent for many years. That passed quickly, followed by diminished sexual function/satisfaction despite good testosterone levels (both total and free-t) and satisfactory E2.

I think this is a complicated matter and folks should not draw hasty conclusions based on isolated experiences that others report.

Cide vinegar... well I tried that once. It wrecks havoc with diabetes because of the sugar. That is not the best way to raise Ach if you know that is an issue.

BTW, can anyone point me to the balanced equation for t, free t, albumin, shbc and all that? I saw it a while back but I can't find it now.

hardasnails1973 said:

do you have more info about Gynemma ?

i have also same problem high inusline low shbg 14

my doc wants to start with metformine if a herb can do the same i want the herb.

Back