Sterile filters vs non-sterile

• Thread starter Deleted member 134759
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 134759

I was wondering what everyone’s opinion on this was. It seems very difficult to source PVDF, PTFE, or nylon sterile bottle top filter’s without the plastic housing that leeches from BA/BB.

Does anyone use non-sterile bottle top filters?

I imagine with such a shortage, A large amount of sources are using non-sterile. As most don’t seem to use peristaltic filters as they again have a shortage of sterile ones.

Have you ever attempted that or heard anyone successful with that?
No never I know the procedure but lack the uv sterilization equipment. I never needed something more than syringe filters though, my usual brews are in the 80-100ml per compound per session and that's 4 compounds once every 1 year at most or even longer

I would advise against it unless you can sterilize then via uv sterilization
I think you may be mistaken.

Sterilization for filters and syringes is done with gas, UV would not penetrate the entire filter only gas would.

If we want to be specific gamma irradiation with cobalt 60 is used in the medical field for sterilization purposes.

I was wondering what everyone’s opinion on this was. It seems very difficult to source PVDF, PTFE, or nylon sterile bottle top filter’s without the plastic housing that leeches from BA/BB.

I imagine with such a shortage, A large amount of sources are using non-sterile. As most don’t seem to use peristaltic filters as they again have a shortage of sterile ones.
I can save you a lot of time aggravation and money by just buying a glass filtration system just like this one that has a pore plate on the bottom of the funnel and not a fritted disk. Then all you need to do is replace your filters and don't have to worry about any solvents dissolving any plastic or anything like save you a lot of money in the long run even in The 1st couple of times you brew.

Deschem 500ml,24/40,Suction Filtration Device,47mm Buchner Funnel & Glass Flask https://a.co/d/fRNsCOr

Let me know if you got any questions always willing to help.

I can save you a lot of time aggravation and money by just buying a glass filtration system just like this one that has a pore plate on the bottom of the funnel and not a fritted disk. Then all you need to do is replace your filters and don't have to worry about any solvents dissolving any plastic or anything like save you a lot of money in the long run even in The 1st couple of times you brew.

Deschem 500ml,24/40,Suction Filtration Device,47mm Buchner Funnel & Glass Flask https://a.co/d/fRNsCOr

How are you keeping oil sterile to fill vials?

Eg how do you keep it sterile from flask to media bottle for bottletop dispenser.

Shouldn't be a problem. You're taking a bigger risk than getting a sterile one, so are you when you homebrew.

UG labs do all kinds of shit. Most produce to make money so you really have to trust them.

Eg how do you keep it sterile from flask to media bottle for bottletop dispenser.
If you're talking about bottle top filters those are usually already sterile. Media flask you have to sterilize yourself in autoclave.
Bottle top dispenser should be taken apart washed and then put all the parts in autoclave pouches and sterilized in autoclave.

Pain in the ass to get those buchner funnels clean. It used to be hard to find sterile filters for those kind of filters.
Another problem is that it can seep from the sides and go under the filter.
I do not recommend this buchner funnel if you want sterile gear.

I don't know about bottle filters but I've used non-sterile syringe filters for all of my batches. I've filtered litres of solutions with them and neither me nor anyone who bought from me had any issues at the injection sites.

If you're talking about bottle top filters those are usually already sterile. Media flask you have to sterilize yourself in autoclave.
Bottle top dispenser should be taken apart washed and then put all the parts in autoclave pouches and sterilized in autoclave.
I mean the flask the oil is filtered to, how are you maintaining sterilisation from that flask to vial, bottle top dispenser will not attach and will need to attach to media bottle.

Flask > media bottle (sterilised ofc) for bottle top dispensing into vials.

From flask to media bottle there is no way transfer without exposing to open air.

Totally get you on that one. That's why I never went for bottle top filters. I want to minimize exposure to air and potential contamination. I hope someone more experienced might have a solution. It would save me a lot of time to filter like that but I'd never save time if it means risking contamination.
I wouldn't sell to my buyers nothing that I wouldn't inject myself.

Pain in the ass to get those buchner funnels clean. It used to be hard to find sterile filters for those kind of filters.
Another problem is that it can seep from the sides and go under the filter.
I do not recommend this buchner funnel if you want sterile gear.
I'll start with this one 1st. Meaning this comment. So if you're talking about porcelain yes I agree with you hard to clean And somewhat hard if you We don't know the tricks to the trade but if we're talking about glass filter follow with a poor plate on the bottom which I think I attached a link to one in this thread if not I will it's not All too clean or have the filter stick. Get yourself It's so good Bottom cleaning brushes from Amazon some dial dish soap And watch the hell out of it in hot water until you get it clean. Then drop it in some Distilled water pull it out and spray it with 99% I should trouble alcohol or dip it in either one I like to spray mine personally shake it off put it in the oven at 350°F for 45 minutes, And that part is done.

Before I go on OP please do not overthink the process like a lot of people do.

Make sure you soak your filter in BA. Personally I drop my name right when I start mixing my raw and solvents. That way the filter becomes activated and also becomes soft and sticky. Now won't you have your filtration system set up like the one I posted or will post. As soon as you're ready to filter drop your filter in and right before you pour the oil in you turn on your vacuum filter which will suck the filter to the bottom of the glass filter funnel leaving no room or space for any oil to run down between the filter and the glass. That's that. Done it this way for 8 years 10' of thousands of bottles never had someone getting infection or anything else.

Deschem 500ml,24/40,Suction Filtration Device,47mm Buchner Funnel & Glass Flask https://a.co/d/4JNZR3T

Totally get you on that one. That's why I never went for bottle top filters. I want to minimize exposure to air and potential contamination. I hope someone more experienced might have a solution. It would save me a lot of time to filter like that but I'd never save time if it means risking contamination.
I wouldn't sell to my buyers nothing that I wouldn't inject myself.

Unless you're filtering in a dirty ass room which in my case I have a air scrubber that shows me when it's 99% particle free but you don't even need that.. as long as it's not filthy and it's clean with no dust and stuff like that if The oil Comes in contact with the air for a few seconds it will not become contaminated and no one will get an infection. Again don't overthink it. No matter how you do it personally I do it with a bottle top dispenser. If the vial is still open for a few seconds it's OK nobody's getting an infection like that. Now if you don't have a bottle top dispenser another way you could do it after you're done filtering is pull your filter funnel out and wrap the top of the filtering flask with tinfoil and then pour from the side arm of the filtering flask were you hook your vacuum hose straight into the vial. You would be surprised how easy that is.

Is simple unscrew the Is GL45 cap Is from the media bottle And pour directly from the filtering flask into the media bottle and attach bottle top dispenser. As long as you don't have a filthy Area that you're working in with dust particles floating around and stuff like that you will not have a problem