Sterile filters vs non-sterile

• Thread starter Deleted member 134759
  • Start date
I mean the flask the oil is filtered to, how are you maintaining sterilisation from that flask to vial, bottle top dispenser will not attach and will need to attach to media bottle.

Flask > media bottle (sterilised ofc) for bottle top dispensing into vials.

From flask to media bottle there is no way transfer without exposing to open air.
When filtering to a gl45 media bottle, I solve this issue by using a septa cap on the bottle and drawing out of the bottle with a syringe into a sterile, sealed vial.

You can find them on Amazon for like 20$.

I hope to start Home brewing in the future and this is all so fascinating to me. Don’t understand most of whats being said but I still find it very awesome to read. Thanks for having this conversation.

Unless you're filtering in a dirty ass room which in my case I have a air scrubber that shows me when it's 99% particle free but you don't even need that.. as long as it's not filthy and it's clean with no dust and stuff like that if The oil Comes in contact with the air for a few seconds it will not become contaminated and no one will get an infection. Again don't overthink it. No matter how you do it personally I do it with a bottle top dispenser. If the vial is still open for a few seconds it's OK nobody's getting an infection like that. Now if you don't have a bottle top dispenser another way you could do it after you're done filtering is pull your filter funnel out and wrap the top of the filtering flask with tinfoil and then pour from the side arm of the filtering flask were you hook your vacuum hose straight into the vial. You would be surprised how easy that is.
I have a device with HEPA filter and I literally do my batch right next to it only when its indicator is in blue colour (mean that the air is as pure as it can be) but I still fear contamination and I overthink everything when it comes to making stuff someone will inject.

When filtering to a gl45 media bottle, I solve this issue by using a septa cap on the bottle and drawing out of the bottle with a syringe into a sterile, sealed vial.

You can find them on Amazon for like 20$.
I’ve done this in the past and it worked perfectly. The septa caps I replaced each 100ml batch though because I was concerned about the 20g needle putting holes in it and getting into my sterile vials.

I’ve done this in the past and it worked perfectly. The septa caps I replaced each 100ml batch though because I was concerned about the 20g needle putting holes in it and getting into my sterile vials.
I pull out of the media bottle with a 60ml syringe a fill multiple vials from that. I’ve sterilized and reused the sepa membrane a couple times before replacing on a 250ml bottle. Seems to have worked for me well, no issues so far.

I have a device with HEPA filter and I literally do my batch right next to it only when its indicator is in blue colour (mean that the air is as pure as it can be) but I still fear contamination and I overthink everything when it comes to making stuff someone will inject.
Brother like I said before as long as you have a clean work area, and it sounds to me like considering you have a hepa filter right next to where you're working it's a clean work area. Therefore if the oil touches the air for 30 seconds nobody's getting an infection ( As long as all your other steps are done properly. Meaning Is washing and steralization of your vials and Stoppers). I say this with confidence. If you wanna know why I guess you can pm me But it sounds to me like you have nothing to worry about.

Are these septa tops solicone or rubber?

I pull out of the media bottle with a 60ml syringe a fill multiple vials from that. I’ve sterilized and reused the sepa membrane a couple times before replacing on a 250ml bottle. Seems to have worked for me well, no issues so far.
You can do it this way. It's just a very slow process but it does work.

Question though. You said you reused the sepa membrane a couple of times is it a silicone septa stopper for the top of the bottle or is it a filter membrane?

Make sure you soak your filter in BA. Personally I drop my name right when I start mixing my raw and solvents. That way the filter becomes activated and also becomes soft and sticky. Now won't you have your filtration system set up like the one I posted or will post. As soon as you're ready to filter drop your filter in and right before you pour the oil in you turn on your vacuum filter which will suck the filter to the bottom of the glass filter funnel leaving no room or space for any oil to run down between the filter and the glass. That's that. Done it this way for 8 years 10' of thousands of bottles never had someone getting infection or anything else

Do you just soak it in a small cup of BA for a few minutes? or do you place it in the funnel and then add a bit of BA on top of the filter to wet it and discard whatever comes through