• ATTENTION New Members: Please take a few moments to introduce yourself, show your commitment to harm reduction, and chat with the community in the "New Member Introduction" subforum. This will help unlock access to additional forum features and privileges.

Steroids and fungal overgrowth

BigOldBastard

Is anyone had any experience with fungal overgrowth while on cycle or otherwise? Seems like the literature indicates that steroids will accelerate/ exacerbate fungal and yeast infections in the body. Has anyone had this happen? Any solutions? Thanks in advance

Is anyone had any experience with fungal overgrowth while on cycle or otherwise? Seems like the literature indicates that steroids will accelerate/ exacerbate fungal and yeast infections in the body. Has anyone had this happen? Any solutions? Thanks in advance

Steroids are immunosuppressive and if your immune system isn't solid to begin with, you can have all sorts of issues down the line; increased urinary tract infections, oral and gut microbiome dissbosios and yes including fungal issues.

You can test your immune system while off and while on cycle; starting with cheap tests like immunoglobulins, igG subclasses and ending with lymphocytes T activation and lymphocytes T and B differentiation, among other things, but those should give you a good picture.

I guess the next logical question would be: What do you use to boost your immune system? Obviously I can look this up and determine what other people use, but I was wondering if there is a certain protocol you adhere to while on cycle/ off. Thanks

I guess the next logical question would be: What do you use to boost your immune system? Obviously I can look this up and determine what other people use, but I was wondering if there is a certain protocol you adhere to while on cycle/ off. Thanks
You are getting corticosteroids confused with anabolic steroids.

It's not the same.

Steroids are immunosuppressive and if your immune system isn't solid to begin with, you can have all sorts of issues down the line; increased urinary tract infections, oral and gut microbiome dissbosios and yes including fungal issues.

You can test your immune system while off and while on cycle; starting with cheap tests like immunoglobulins, igG subclasses and ending with lymphocytes T activation and lymphocytes T and B differentiation, among other things, but those should give you a good picture.
This is interesting because I rarely ever get sick. Usually I get sick once every 5-7 years and it's from something I've never had before. For me, at least, I believe it strengthens my immune system. Either that or I'm so used to pushing my body in the gym that I don't notice any symptoms.

This is interesting because I rarely ever get sick. Usually I get sick once every 5-7 years and it's from something I've never had before. For me, at least, I believe it strengthens my immune system. Either that or I'm so used to pushing my body in the gym that I don't notice any symptoms.

Aas are immunosuppressive, if you don't get sick at all, it doesn't mean they are enhancing your immune system, rather, that they aren't suppressing it enough for it to be detrimental for your innate or adaptive immunity. Not getting sick at all actually can also mean overtraining or a chronic stress response. You want to get sick time to time, a cold here or there ...

Me, who's got immune issues as is, even a common cold can take more then a month to clear on aas. It's rather unpleasant. And not to mention UTI's and even chit like dandruff, never had it before in my life until I started aas.

There's a lot of factors on how one responds to aas, mostly it's genetics, but also current health status plays a role, for instance IBS can worsen your immune system ...

You are getting corticosteroids confused with anabolic steroids.

It's not the same.
No, it's not only corticosteroids that can cause a fungal growth, it's anabolics as well. This is especially true when estrogen levels are higher when not using an AI. The result is an environment where fungus/ yeast grows very well, especially given a suppressed immune system because of anabolic steroid use.

No, it's not only corticosteroids that can cause a fungal growth, it's anabolics as well. This is especially true when estrogen levels are higher when not using an AI. The result is an environment where fungus/ yeast grows very well, especially given a suppressed immune system because of anabolic steroid use.
Any literature?

or are you drawing this from estrogen in women and yeast infections?

oh, I guess I am not too worried about overgrowth of fungus in my vagina.

I do not have one.

you are drawing a long conclusion from this.

You make it sound like that our estrogen would be 200+ which it wont be.

find me one with consistency of fungal infections among anabolic steroid users that are not case reports
Wait...you don't have a vagina?? My bad, just seemed like you did.

Wait...you don't have a vagina?? My bad, just seemed like you did.

Good response. You are only finding case reports. I can find the same shit on people with nothing wrong with them.

This discussion is pointless, because you are talking out of your ass

Last edited:
Good response. You are only finding case reports. I can find the same shit on people with nothing wrong with them.

This discussion is pointless, because you are talking out of your ass
You're talking out of your vagina again. There's obviously a link between fungal growth and AAS use. Plus it's a discussion, which means it's open "to discuss" the subject.

It hasn't been studied much. Wasn't looking for a medical school review here, anecdotes regarding personal experience will work just fine. The relationship between AAS and fungal infections hasn't been studied much, but I believe there might be something there. This is called a hypothesis. I agree that both papers don't show a clear link between AAS and fungal growth. It has yet to be studied in depth. So, bring on the anecdotes and personal stories, or as we call them here at medical school: data points.