Stoppers on new sterile vials breaking already...

Brucie

So I filtered 90ml finished UGL test e into two 50ml sterile vials with a 0.2um Whatman syringe filter, I did pierce the stoppers with an 18g for that but I never draw with an 18g.

After the fourth draw with a 21g I saw a piece of stopper in my syringe, thank god I inspected it. Was annoyed at having to toss it. Next draw was successful but both times the hole seemed to stay longer than usual, usually the rubber closes up pretty quick after removing the needle.

After I pinned that I was inspecting the vial and I located another piece of rubber stopper in there. I contacted the retailer where I got the vials (not Med Lab) and they basically told me too bad use a smaller needle.

I've been using 20g in my 10ml UGL vials for a while without any problems. Is this just a luck of the draw (pun intended) thing? If the vials are old stock are they more prone to breaking? Is there anything I can do to prevent this in the future?

Since I already filtered this stuff with a 0.2um filter will a .45um be sufficient to refilter with just to get the rubber stopper bit(s) out? Are Med Lab Supply's vials less likely to cause this issue?

I ignored the numerous posts on here about using a caulking gun to help push through the filter, I did it all by hand so I'm rather annoyed at the prospect of having to re-filter due to a shitty rubber stopper on a brand new vial...

Thanks in advance.

Since I already filtered this stuff with a 0.2um filter will a .45um be sufficient to refilter with just to get the rubber stopper bit(s) out? Are Med Lab Supply's vials less likely to cause this issue?
Yeah a .45 will be fine to removed the stopper particles .

If the vials are old stock are they more prone to breaking? Is there anything I can do to prevent this in the future?
Yeah rubber stoppers can dry out and get brittle after awhile . Best bet is use a bigger supplier that moves alot of stock so you don't end up buying something thats been sitting in a warehouse for ever , and even then shit happens and youll get defective stock once in a while . Medlabsupply and gear both have great customer service, I wouldnt bother going anywhere else .... well unless you somehow got the proper paperwork to buy directly from Thermo Fisher or Wheaton or some shit lol

Last edited:
So I filtered 90ml finished UGL test e into two 50ml sterile vials with a 0.2um Whatman syringe filter, I did pierce the stoppers with an 18g for that but I never draw with an 18g.

After the fourth draw with a 21g I saw a piece of stopper in my syringe, thank god I inspected it. Was annoyed at having to toss it. Next draw was successful but both times the hole seemed to stay longer than usual, usually the rubber closes up pretty quick after removing the needle.

After I pinned that I was inspecting the vial and I located another piece of rubber stopper in there. I contacted the retailer where I got the vials (not Med Lab) and they basically told me too bad use a smaller needle.

I've been using 20g in my 10ml UGL vials for a while without any problems. Is this just a luck of the draw (pun intended) thing? If the vials are old stock are they more prone to breaking? Is there anything I can do to prevent this in the future?

I ignored the numerous posts on here about using a caulking gun to help push through the filter, I did it all by hand so I'm rather annoyed at the prospect of having to re-filter due to a shitty rubber stopper on a brand new vial...

Thanks in advance.
Back in the day when I used sterile vials I’d never use 18 to filter. Always option 20g bro cuz the harpoon 18 does way too much damage. Like already stated .45 is good brotha. Good luck

Thanks in advance.
50 ml vials mean too many draws on the same stopper, so either:

1 Get 10 ml vials the next time.
2 Buy better quality vials
3 use the 50 ml vials you have but only fill them with a few ml, and discard after use.

Where did you get the vials? The stopper should be able to hold up to an 18 gauge without issue. Are you drawing from the same spot each time or moving it?

Where did you get the vials? The stopper should be able to hold up to an 18 gauge without issue. Are you drawing from the same spot each time or moving it?

Sorry for some reason I wasnt getting alerts on this topic. The vials are from GPZ. The stopper that caused problems was pierced with an 18g for filling, then a 21g to pull from. On the third pull was when I found a piece of stopper in the syringe, then on the fourth a piece in the bottle. I do rotate locations.

I had some spare 3/8" 25g pins that I never used to inject with because I felt they were too short. I tried drawing with them from my other 50ml and its really not that much slower. The rubber on the second vial seems noticeably softer as well, whereas the first one felt hard. I guess I just got a bad vial.

I have since ordered some 20ml's and a filter from Medlab. Will a piece of stopper floating in the oil for an extended period of time contaminate the oil in any way? It's been in there for a few weeks now I guess.

Sorry for some reason I wasnt getting alerts on this topic. The vials are from GPZ. The stopper that caused problems was pierced with an 18g for filling, then a 21g to pull from. On the third pull was when I found a piece of stopper in the syringe, then on the fourth a piece in the bottle. I do rotate locations.

I had some spare 3/8" 25g pins that I never used to inject with because I felt they were too short. I tried drawing with them from my other 50ml and its really not that much slower. The rubber on the second vial seems noticeably softer as well, whereas the first one felt hard. I guess I just got a bad vial.

I have since ordered some 20ml's and a filter from Medlab. Will a piece of stopper floating in the oil for an extended period of time contaminate the oil in any way? It's been in there for a few weeks now I guess.
Your good as long as the oil isnt eo

Thanks in advance.
This happens a lot with presterilized vials for me. I bought some silicone stoppers and just swap out the stoppers or if u use the grey butyl stopper just go very very slow.