Telegram: 2 seriously smart brothers, billionaires, hiding in UAE. Governments want to snatch them (and got lucky, last week). Telegram is Web3.0, soo

Type-IIx

Telegram’s tech is sooooooooo far ahead of Western companies, like Instagram, WhatsApp, and/or Facebook, that it poses an EXISTENTIAL risk to these companies.

More for less.

They have a cryptocurrency, the first I’ve become interested in since Bitcoin in 2010:

It’s called TON, the Telegram Open Network.

It’s not exchanged on many Western exchanges yet, but I am so sure this one is going to become indispensable in Web3.0 that I will just mention it here. My ONLY interest in this cryptocurrency is passive, indirect. But I am so sure that, despite the recent arrest of this MOGUL, that this ecosystem is the future.

Just as the social movements that shaped history are in hindsight inevitable, I believe strongly this case, here, is analogous.

They will eventually hand over the keys. Everyone does.

The only future for someone that needs/wants to be truly independent and out of reach is open source software with e2e encryption preferably backed by something like Tor and cryptocurrencies that are in self custody.

ANYTHING that is controlled by a central authority is doomed to be forever controlled

They will eventually hand over the keys. Everyone does.

The only future for someone that needs/wants to be truly independent and out of reach is open source software with e2e encryption preferably backed by something like Tor and cryptocurrencies that are in self custody.

ANYTHING that is controlled by a central authority is doomed to be forever controlled
TBH, I don’t care! And that’s the norm. If they hand over the keys, business will flourish

If they hand over the keys, the very foundation they built their business around, anonymity and privacy will be gone, so will their business.
I knew it was a facade from day 0. You cannot physically get onto TG without using a hardware cell. Should have been indicia enough they were compromised by someone… Soviet honeypot.

And still, it’s more private, secure, AND functional than Instagram!

I knew it was a facade from day 0. You cannot physically get onto TG without using a hardware cell. Should have been indicia enough they were compromised by someone… Soviet honeypot.

And still, it’s more private, secure, AND functional than Instagram!
They require that because you can get a burner and/or buy their anonymous numbers from them. The later is very lucrative.

If one truly wants anonymous and private communication there is Session

They require that because you can get a burner and/or buy their anonymous numbers from them. The later is very lucrative.

If one truly wants anonymous and private communication there is Session
Sure, “anonymous.”

Signal is private/secure… and totally lacking the functionality of TG.. that, like I said, is on a totally different level vs IG, etc.

The more functionality a communication programming has the less private it is. If someone wants social media level communication it's never gonna be private
"Social" and "private" don't go very well together. The more social people are, the more they reveal about themselves, the more data points they provide. Any attempt at anonymity/pseudonymity eventually fails with increasing social media engagement. Maybe actively and regularly providing misinformation could help. But not really based on all the 250lb lean muscular multi-millionaires with 9-inch dicks who still somehow find a way to disclose too many real personal data points.

I support privacy tech. But human error will do most people in. Anonymity is exhausting.

but necessary when you want any chance of being even remotely uncontrolled and free. Freedom with no cost, is a lie
True. Everyone wants privacy but no one really wants to work hard for it. Yet they will download all the secure apps, VPNs, etc..

Just like Ronnie says "everybody wants to be a bodybuilder, but nobody wants to lift no heavy-ass weights." Yet they will use crazy ass dosages of AAS.

Sometimes there are no substitutes.

Yes exactly, and additionally sometimes it is also the other party who doesn't wants to play along. For example, you can take all these measures to have a higher level of privacy, but lets say that you share a picture with someone on a privacy focused chat platform.

But then, the other person that you share it with has all these cloud syncing apps that automatically sync their picture gallery to a cloud platform. At that point it doesn't matter that you've used a private app to transfer it because it will end up in some non-private cloud in the end.

An argument could be made for not sending pictures at all, but then you'd also have to be careful about having your picture taken in public, and it gets to be very exhausting and somewhat anti-social.

I wonder if "since 2018" is coincidental to Telegram being blocked in Russia.
They Kremlin wanted backdoor access, so all communication in their country can be accessible to Russian security services.
Durov always denied he gave concessions, which is obviously not true and maybe it was further established when they got banned there a couple of years afterwards.

The Russian regime was using Telegram anyway (e.g. during Covid) and I doubt they would have done so, had the system been as impenetrable and out of their control as advertised.
It was never secure messaging anyway, unless one selected a specific option within its settings.
The French incident just cemented it and made it all public.
Cute how the Russians took a stand against Durov's arrest.

When he got held in France, the media was all a flutter with talk of freedom of speech and censorship.
It's fair enough, as are considerations of private communication being violated.

I do want private communication to be so.
But, practically, I find this ambivalence where anything that goes on online should be blindly allowed because it is private, things that irl would never be accepted in a civil society, just because the system is supposed to be impenetrable, for everyone's sake.
Should there be an unaccountable laissez-fair attitude when it comes to online behaviour, that we are willing to accept?
Should a line be drawn?
Can you establish boundaries with no moderation and scrutiny, of any kind?

It's quite funny how Telegram's owner has chosen the UAE, that bastion of liberalism, human rights and free speech oasis as one of his countries of residence.
Just run away from the Russians and find a more enlightened place to call home.
Oh yes, he also has a French passport. Just in case.

Back