The BEST Filter Paper Membranes For Filtering Oils

What is The BEST Paper Filter Membrane to Use For Filtering Oils?

• MCE (Mixed Cellulose Esters)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cellulose acetate (CA) membranes

• Cellulose nitrate (CN) membranes

• Regenerated cellulose (RC) membranes

• Glass fiber filters

• Total voters
According to the chart PTFE is the only one compatible with everything. Thats why I use them.
Glad you've shared your experience. So how many times would you say that you've used PTFE & have you also ever tries the PVDF & Nylon filter membranes as well?

Glad you've shared your experience. So how many times would you say that you've used PTFE & have you also ever tries the PVDF & Nylon filter membranes as well?
I have probably used 70+ of the PTFE ones. I have used both PVDF and Nylon ones when I bought bottletops but now that I use a buchner I use the 90mm PTFE filters. No complaints and I use just BA, BB and Mig840 to make my stuff. I would say that PVDF or Nylon are decent filters I just went with PTFE because they covered everything.

I have probably used 70+ of the PTFE ones. I have used both PVDF and Nylon ones when I bought bottletops but now that I use a buchner I use the 90mm PTFE filters. No complaints and I use just BA, BB and Mig840 to make my stuff. I would say that PVDF or Nylon are decent filters I just went with PTFE because they covered everything.
I was thinking about trying the Buchner Funnel too, but a lot of guys were saying it's too slow. Do you use a lid on top of your Buchner to create better suction and is it pretty easy to keep the Buchner sterilized?

My buchner is faster than a bottle top for sure. No lid on top as once I start the pump and pour the mix in it thats all the vacuum you will need. I have the porcelain type with multiple holes in it that sits on top of a 1000mL receiver flask. It's easy to clean and sterilize.

My buchner is faster than a bottle top for sure. No lid on top as once I start the pump and pour the mix in it thats all the vacuum you will need. I have the porcelain type with multiple holes in it that sits on top of a 1000mL receiver flask. It's easy to clean and sterilize.
Awesome info that you've shared here!

Also, could you elaborate a little on your sterilization process? Through your experience, which way do you feel is best for making sure no microbial life is in the final brew? For example, are you also using a pressure cooker, and if so, what are your current steps? Thanks again.

Awesome info that you've shared here!

Also, could you elaborate a little on your sterilization process? Through your experience, which way do you feel is best for making sure no microbial life is in the final brew? For example, are you also using a pressure cooker, and if so, what are your current steps? Thanks again.
Bro I noticed you are gonna get the same buchner set-up I am planning to buy what procedure are you planning on using to transfer the finished product from the flask to the pre sterilized vials. I am thinking of doing everything in a DIY glove box because I don't have space for a clean room nor money for a flow hood.

Aside from @aceroids last questions. Some things I want to ask as well.

1. Do you sterilize the membrane filters wrapped in foil first in a pressure cooker before using?

2. What method do you use to transfer filtered oil from flask to pre sterilized vials.

3. What type of pump do you use and how strong? I was thinking of getting a 1/4hp pump.