• ATTENTION New Members: Please take a few moments to introduce yourself, show your commitment to harm reduction, and chat with the community in the "New Member Introduction" subforum. This will help unlock access to additional forum features and privileges.

time travel?

jefft77 said:
If traveling into the past is possible then why hasn’t the future visited us?

I think that travelling into the past is impossible but seeing the past is possible.

I’ve heard that many of the stars that you see at night don’t even exist anymore but we still are receiving the light from them that takes thousands of light years to get to earth. So I guess we see into the past when we look into the sky at night.

I’ve also heard If you were able to get to a star millions of light years away instantly and have a powerful telescope in theory that if you looked at the earth you would see dinosaurs roaming. It wouldn’t be what is really happening but you would just be receiving the image that has been traveling at the speed of light for millions of years and it’s finally getting to the star.

I believe if you could travel at a speed much faster than the speed of light then stop instantly that you would see the past happening in front of your eyes but it would just be an image and not actually happening.

I think Travelling and seeing into the future is impossible. If you travel at high speeds then time dilation takes affect and you slow down but that just means that your body and everything traveling at that speed slows down while everything else that is not moving at your speed continues on at a regular pace. So when you stop traveling you are in the present and not the future. It’s just that you haven’t aged nearly as much as the rest of the world so it appears to be the future. Make any sense?
Just my thoughts
Jeff

But this is not possible.

i liked stephen kings look at going back in time ... if you went back in time the air would be stale no people no energy or anything, due to the fact that since it already happened, there is nothing there but say a bldg, no people because they no longer exist in that particular frame ... hence it already passed. I think the movie was, "the langoliers" thought that was an interesting way to think about it.

Phreezer said:
IIRC they transported an electron particle across their lab.. I don't believe they sent it back in time.. I could be wrong but I think this is more related to "Transport" technology.

Molecular transportation. Anyone ever read the book timeline?

Get real! Time travel is fiction and does not exist sir.... unless you are Superman or Green Lantern.

Have a nice day
K-

dolfe1 said:
Curious who here believes in time travel and if so what are your beliefs?

Last edited by a moderator:
KTCKSports said:
Get real! Time travel is fiction and does not exist sir.... unless you are Superman or Green Lantern.

Have a nice day
Kevin

So Superman and Green Lantern exist? Just joking. I know what ya mean Kevin but we're just throwing around some ideas and thoughts. Who knows what the future holds?

Last edited:
I believe in Superman and the Green Lantern. No matter what, they live!

jefft77 said:
So Superman and Green Lantern exist? Just joking. I know what ya mean Kevin but we're just throwing around some ideas and thoughts.

Facts-

Lasers powerful enough to cut through 4" thick pieces of steel exist.

We have mapped the human genome and can clone humans.

Cyborgs exist.....pacemakers, prosthetic devices equipped with hydraulics etc, those who are equipped with such devices are human-machine hybrids.

Robots exist....and Honda made a damn fine one not to mention the neat stuff that comes out of the AI lab at MIT.

Hypersonic travel is a reality.....actually, hypersonic travel has been a reality for almost 2 decades.

We have had airplanes that skirted the boundaries of space for over 30 years....what the latest and greatest high altitude craft are capable of is beyond me though from my experience at Lockheed's Skunkworks in Palmdale, what can be conceived can be achieved.

We have drones capable of surveilling their subjects silently ...and they are also capable of killing them.

We have packaged integrated circuits down to near single micron process levels.

We can transmit and receive information with lasers.

So I ask you, what do the next 30 years hold? Bear in mind, we were using transistor tubes up until about 25 years ago, we have increased computing power millionfold if not greater in the past 2 and a half decades.......whats next? R2D2 and C3pO are a reality, we have a 'spaceship' known as the shuttle and numerous other designs on the books such as the Venture Star...which should be flying within a year or so if I am not mistaken....single stage to orbit and return.... literally a spaceship. And mind you, we have made material in space that we cannot make on earth....a really simple one that comes to mind is foamed aluminum.....and an international space station is under construction, literally something that can, at some point, become a manufacturing and final assembly point for space craft.....we have probes, we have comm satellites, we can even transmit power through air via microwave - essentially a death ray though a laser or particle weapon is probably far more efficient.......

so my question is, what happens when we develop a material that will absorb the flux from a sustained nuclear reaction? Imagine being able to take a mass of plutonium to a near critical state and hold it there, harnessing all of its energy.....what can you do with gigawatts of power ? Imagine being able to harness enough power to run an entire state in a single reactor......consider that we have already developed superconducting materials which have virtually no impedance at absolute zero....near perpetual motion....so to think that we could generate and control enough power to morph the fabric of space-time is not too outlandish in my book. It will probably be lifetimes from now but I would suspect that we make huge leaps in science within the next few decades.....

And now we know why I believe the human genius to be divine.

Either way, time is a concept. It is not a tangible. You can bend steel. You can bend plastic. You can't bend a thought. Time is a thought; a concept; a product of human ingenuity.

Grizzly said:

Either way, time is a concept. It is not a tangible. You can bend steel. You can bend plastic. You can't bend a thought. Time is a thought; a concept; a product of human ingenuity.

Grizzly do you know anything about black holes?

Grizzly said:

Where did you get the idea that time is a thought? Without time, there would be virtually nothing. Nearly all of physics relies on time directly or indirectly, there is nothing conceptual about it. I guess you could have statics but you certainly could not have motion without time....whether on an atomic scale or macro. Certainly, without time, there would be no life.

Our conception of time is mostly what I was referring to. An atom doesn't think/work in second increments. It just does what it does without partitioning.

Dolfe- nope, don't know too much about them.

Grizzly said:
Our conception of time is mostly what I was referring to. An atom doesn't think/work in second increments. It just does what it does without partitioning.

Dolfe- nope, don't know too much about them.

Actually they do. Frequency and time are contingent upon each other. Atoms oscillate at given frequencies. the speed of an electron is constant, etc.

Grizz, I have some good titles at home that I will post later tonight. However, I recall "Black Holes and Baby Universes" by Hawking as being a stellar work on black holes and space-time fabric ..Kip Thorne published a pretty good read too though I forgot the title.

uh

Uh, I Have nothing to contribute, but I guess i just contributed by stateing I had nothing to contribute...... My head hurts now... Personally, I dont believe you can rewind life or time like a video tape.... In my opinion, whats done is done. I dont have the vocabulary to explain why I feel this way....... Personally, I wouldnt want to go back anyways,,, The mistakes Ive made are what have made me who I am today... I know the point of this thread is "do you think it is possible" not "would you" but when I think about the possibility of time travel,,, the first thing I think is,,,,, "Hell no I wouldnt do it"
..... That would completely negate all the kegals Ive done in the past 6 months.... :D

yeah but you could go back and start doing kegels 12 months ago and be 6 months ahead
Ian Smith said:
Uh, I Have nothing to contribute, but I guess i just contributed by stateing I had nothing to contribute...... My head hurts now... Personally, I dont believe you can rewind life or time like a video tape.... In my opinion, whats done is done. I dont have the vocabulary to explain why I feel this way....... Personally, I wouldnt want to go back anyways,,, The mistakes Ive made are what have made me who I am today... I know the point of this thread is "do you think it is possible" not "would you" but when I think about the possibility of time travel,,, the first thing I think is,,,,, "Hell no I wouldnt do it"
..... That would completely negate all the kegals Ive done in the past 6 months.... :D