Wiping down equipment...yay or nay?

Do you guys wipe down the equipment at your gym?

Is there a rule about it?

I guess I'm kinda oblivious to this because I've had a homegym so long.

Today I went to a public gym, bought a one day membership. Guy said nothing to me about any rules, just showed me where shit is.

I noticed everyone was wiping down the equipment after they use it. I didn't wipe down a single thing because I wanted to see if anyone said anything to me to judge how seriously they take it. Some chubby mom asked why i wasn't, I just shrugged and walked away. She left me alone after that.

Wasn't sure how seriously people take this. Because at my old gym years ago literally nobody wiped anything, wasn't sure if it's because of sweat or covid they started this wiping shit down practice.

Gym signs say to wiper before and after. Get fucked. I dont sweat through my clothes BUT if i did, i would wipe the sweat off when done. no problem.

I wipe my shit off when im done.

its just common courtesy imo.

Im not going to be bothered or get pissed off if someone doesnt wipe off their equipment, its just what i do

In a public gym you're not the only member. Everyone pays the same price for the same privileges, typically. So do unto others as you want done to you. Do you want to lay down on a bench that's covered in someone else's sweat? Me neither, so if you sweat on the shit, wipe it down. You aren't being paid to be a cleaner, so you're not responsible to act like one. Apply a little common sense please.

The fact that the question needs to be asked speaks to where we are as a society.

So yes, the rule is to be respectful but not a tool.

Do you guys wipe down the equipment at your gym?

Is there a rule about it?

I guess I'm kinda oblivious to this because I've had a homegym so long.

Today I went to a public gym, bought a one day membership. Guy said nothing to me about any rules, just showed me where shit is.

I noticed everyone was wiping down the equipment after they use it. I didn't wipe down a single thing because I wanted to see if anyone said anything to me to judge how seriously they take it. Some chubby mom asked why i wasn't, I just shrugged and walked away. She left me alone after that.

Wasn't sure how seriously people take this. Because at my old gym years ago literally nobody wiped anything, wasn't sure if it's because of sweat or covid they started this wiping shit down practice.
I knew someone who got staph infection, he suspects he got it from sweaty equipments since some members are mma fighters too.

Busted bacne and zits is also rampant in my gym, since there’s the usual meat heads like us and teenagers.

Plus, hygiene and such lol.

I wipe the equipment down when I'm done. Only takes like 5 seconds, not even an inconvenience really.

It's just common courtesy

this mfer is back hey dude lol! how ya been!! I am sure everyone thinks i don't BUT BUT until recently i have started too do it. Mainly because i see nasty mfer scratching their dirty dicks or dirty camel toes then touching equipment or rubbing their snotty fucking noses then lifting lol. So I do wipe it down before and after. lmfao just saying idk where the fuck these nasty fucks have been but looking at them i wouldn't let them use my nasty ass bathroom lmfao :D lol they look like the type to piss on the floor and wipe it with their fucking socks lol.. So yes wipe it down please :D

I knew someone who got staph infection, he suspects he got it from sweaty equipments since some members are mma fighters too.

Busted bacne and zits is also rampant in my gym, since there’s the usual meat heads like us and teenagers.

Plus, hygiene and such lol.
Someone got staph from the gym? is there mats there like wrestling mats? but i could see this idk dont most staffed gyms pay their lazy ass employees to clean shit at least most gyms i go to do.

Someone got staph from the gym? is there mats there like wrestling mats? but i could see this idk dont most staffed gyms pay their lazy ass employees to clean shit at least most gyms i go to do.
Yep, people should do their jobs but you know how it is. He doesn’t know where else he could’ve gotten it since he doesn’t share anything else with other people except gym equipments and benches.

I like wiping equipment down for 3 reasons..
1. I don't think it's polite to get my sweat all over something and walk away with out cleaning it. I clean up after myself no matter what the subject is.
2. I'm being respectful to the person using it after me.
3. I take pride in my gyms equipment and feel by taking care of it, it will be here in good condition for me to use for many years. It's not my equipment, I'm paying to use it therefore I should treat it as if it was my own.

It's more a personal way of doing things for me. I don't care if ppl do or don't wipe their machines. I do. Sometimes I carry a towel I will lay on a bench or brace.

I was raised very strict. If I didn't take good care of my toys or anything like that, I had them taken away lol. That now at 36 makes me take extra care of things in general..

Has anyone ever seen someone at their local gym abusing a cable machine or plate loaded machine and kinda get pissed off? It's a real petpeve of mine.. I will confront them nicely lol
I just get bothered my someone beating on equipment for the fuck of it..

Last edited:
It takes so little effort to do it, even if you're opposed who fucking cares. If you can scarf down 5000 calories a day on a bulk and train hard you can wipe a fucking piece of equipment down.

It takes so little effort to do it, even if you're opposed who fucking cares. If you can scarf down 5000 calories a day on a bulk and train hard you can wipe a fucking piece of equipment down.
WOAH! WOAH! Attacking someone's calorie intake is like not allowed these days (insert your pronouns please) LMFAO! but no i do agree with you

I do, I think it's kinda classy to see someone wiping down equipment and being respectful. Plus I bet the women dig it

If there's no cute girls around, I don't bother

Oh certainly YES! I don't want to sit on a bench where some fat smelly ass was just a bit before. That OCD kickin' in!

I have a membership to two gyms.
One near my work, is full of peeps who
don't wipe down their equipment(gross AF),
don't put weights back(lazy),
don't remove their outdoor footwear when they come workout(sand and grit everywhere),
don't shower(I can smell you from 10' away),
don't know the meaning of personal space(no, you can't squeeze between the squat decks to get a plate WHILE I'M SQUATTING YOU MUPPET)
and generally don't give a shiit.
I attribute this to so many of them being fresh off the boat. There are signs everywhere, and the manager is pretty much at her wits end chasing after peeps to be respectful. Really dislike working out there some days, but its close, cheap and has great equipment.

Then there's the other gym I hit up on my way home. It's clean, weights are orderly, there is a general sense of mutual respect among the regulars and everyone wipes down their equipment.

Which gym would you prefer?