Wiping down equipment...yay or nay?

Oh certainly YES! I don't want to sit on a bench where some fat smelly ass was just a bit before. That OCD kickin' in!
It dosent make u wana get down there an smell it? Get some on that mustache? Lmao.

I know I'm OCD like a mother. If something looks iffy I'll whipe er down before and after.

I lift at home but once in a while I'll go to the gym with the guys.

And yes you can get staph or ring worm probably all kinds of crap, from gym equipment it's not just wrestlers or mma guys.

It dosent make u wana get down there an smell it? Get some on that mustache? Lmao.

I know I'm OCD like a mother. If something looks iffy I'll whipe er down before and after.

I lift at home but once in a while I'll go to the gym with the guys.

And yes you can get staph or ring worm probably all kinds of crap, from gym equipment it's not just wrestlers or mma guys.
Absolutely and I've called out people who are a sweaty mess who forget to wipe down the equipment they last used.

Absolutely and I've called out people who are a sweaty mess who forget to wipe down the equipment they last used.
Yes sir, ima sweaty bastard my self especially on certain compounds even more so, I usually work out in a hoodie for that reason only and if I do strip down to a tank top I put a towel down, i don't like to be dirty and the feeling of slipping and sliding around aswell. hell I sleep on a towel at night.

I think I know u? Lol
Every gym has one of u and needs one , the jacked older timer that takes zero crap, and gets a kick out of out lifting the younger dudes.

Yes sir, ima sweaty bastard my self especially on certain compounds even more so, I usually work out in a hoodie for that reason only and if I do strip down to a tank top I put a towel down, i don't like to be dirty and the feeling of slipping and sliding around aswell. hell I sleep on a towel at night.

I think I know u? Lol
Every gym has one of u and needs one , the jacked older timer that takes zero crap, and gets a kick out of out lifting the younger dudes.
Oh yes the young whippersnappers try my patience and I give them the mean mug death stare they run away lol. Yeah I'm one old curmudgeon indeed!

Honestly I do but only because I don't wanna be judged for not doing it. I wish the etiquette around this was to wipe beforehand if you give a shit because then I could just not worry about it. My gym is at the office though so only a few people use it all day, not a huge issue.

Honestly I do but only because I don't wanna be judged for not doing it. I wish the etiquette around this was to wipe beforehand if you give a shit because then I could just not worry about it. My gym is at the office though so only a few people use it all day, not a huge issue.
I've said it before I'll do it before and after, out of respect for my self and others. Why not? My gym has paper towels and disinfecting spray bottles every 40 feet lol.

The last thing on my mind is being judged. Theres only 1 being who can do that. Anyone els I'd be happy to talk about it with in the parking lot

In 40 years at gyms i have only wiped up my sweat if there is any. And i can't say i have gotten ill from people not doing it. Between all the chemicals in the products and the pollution that is caused to make them i tend to wonder how much good comes from those products or if it is just a placebo effect and helps business make more money.

Can confirm. I forgot to wipe down a piece of equipment one time, and the next thing I know MindlessWork was putting me in a headlock. Definitely not making that mistake again

In a public gym you're not the only member. Everyone pays the same price for the same privileges, typically. So do unto others as you want done to you. Do you want to lay down on a bench that's covered in someone else's sweat? Me neither, so if you sweat on the shit, wipe it down. You aren't being paid to be a cleaner, so you're not responsible to act like one. Apply a little common sense please.

The fact that the question needs to be asked speaks to where we are as a society.

So yes, the rule is to be respectful but not a tool.
Agree, 100%

I wipe my shit off when im done.

its just common courtesy imo.

Im not going to be bothered or get pissed off if someone doesnt wipe off their equipment, its just what i do
How about the ones that put a million plates on the leg press and then leave it all there.... I turn up and spend ages taking it all off, or say sod it and then end up not using the machine. I think it's just as bad and inconsiderate as leaving dirty equipment.

How about the ones that put a million plates on the leg press and then leave it all there.... I turn up and spend ages taking it all off, or say sod it and then end up not using the machine. I think it's just as bad and inconsiderate as leaving dirty equipment.
I purposely disperse all plates equally to all plate racks once done with plates, as some people put them all to the closet one, which is absurd. I also feel like an ass putting 8 plates on both sides, 16 plates total.

I purposely disperse all plates equally to all plate racks once done with plates, as some people put them all to the closet one, which is absurd. I also feel like an ass putting 8 plates on both sides, 16 plates total.
You have just become my favourite person of the week. Legend

Also, the ocd you display in your very specific plates arrangement is awesome

Im not going to be bothered or get pissed off if someone doesnt wipe off their equipment, its just what i do

Agree but like @Jabroni_Meathead said, I'm not rushing to sterilize every thing I touch in the gym. If I get sweat all over a piece of equipment, sure, I'll wipe it down, but that rarely happens.

*I sweat plenty but it's outside while doing cardio so no harm no foul. Not so much if in the gym.

I was hazed at a young age by gyms that required you have a towel. If you forgot to bring one that day, you had to buy a shitty dish towel for a few bucks or go home.

*this was long pre-pandemic. Germophobia has increased a lot since then but this is mostly about sitting on a machine covered in someone else's sweat, which is still kinda gross.

I was hazed at a young age by gyms that required you have a towel. If you forgot to bring one that day, you had to buy a shitty dish towel for a few bucks or go home.

*this was long pre-pandemic. Germophobia has increased a lot since then but this is mostly about sitting on a machine covered in someone else's sweat, which is still kinda gross.
Australia was the same for me. Towel was required or you were not allowed to work out. HOWEVER, stank ass BO was acceptable and the gyms I went to were stink filled boxes of BO because aussies thought axe spray was a deodorant.

In Europe, towels are required too from what I hear. I work out on military bases so its not required.