MESO-Rx Exclusive Peter Bond on anabolic steroids hepatotoxicity and what you can do about it

Millard

Elite
Staff member
10+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
@PeterBond's latest article explores the hepatotoxicity of anabolic steroids, how damaging steroids are to the liver, and what can be done about it.

So the biochemical markers of liver damage (ASAT, ALAT, GGT) increase with some steroids but does this mean the liver is actually being damaged?

Take a look at this article to learn more about this widely-reported side effect.

If I may add, I have a history of gallstones in my family. I currently also have them, which was confirmed by an MRI and an ultrasound. It was deemed that I passed some of them as some sort of duct from the gallbladder measured in at just under 2mm when it should be one and this was what my doctor said leads them to say that I passed at least some of them. I had mildly yellow eyes and very mildly yellow skin, at this time my bilirubin was 33, November 2018, the hospital doctor said it’s not overly worrisome at the moment but they insist I need the gallbladder removed.

Now, for my bilirubin, when blasting 500mg of testosterone E per week (previous run, last November) my bilirubin was 14 with alt of 65 accompanied by mildly yellow eyes and almost no skin discolouration. And here is where it gets odd, when I was cruising on 175mg test U (This july just gone) a week my bilirubin was 41 with Alt of 44. I had no yellow eyes, no skin discolouration. The only thing I can add from anecdotal experience, is TUDCA use. I take a 750mg Tudca pill in the morning, every morning. And after somewhere between 6-8 weeks I was able to tolerate high fat foods. Something I eat sparingly now, but I do have the option.

If it adds any additional Educational information, I’m 33, 6” 2’, 117kg estimates range from 12%-15% body fat.

this..always keep an eye on creatinine kidneys don't heal
Depends, there are numerous reversible conditions in which the GFR drops (i.e. creatinine levels increase).

Liver is fine what can be done to assist kidneys with compounds like tren or stress from water retention?
Hypertension should be treated accordingly, preferably with angiontensin receptor blockers, ACE inhibitors or thiazide-like diuretics, see:

Have you also read this article?

Best is to monitor it with urine analysis and cystatin C measurements over time. Nevertheless, kidney damage seems rare. There are only a small number of cases in the literature and our national outpatient clinic for AAS users has seen hundreds of AAS users, without clinical signs of kidney damage in any of them. Only small, but reversible, increases of creatinine levels and new or progressive proteinuria have been seen during AAS use.

@PeterBond

What's your opinion on the efficacy of calcium channel blockers when it comes to preventing damage caused by high blood pressure from AAS? Are they just as good as ACE inhibitors, ARBS, etc?

My doc currently has me on Amlodipine Besylate, 5mg daily.

Last edited:
@PeterBond

What's your opinion on the efficacy of calcium channel blockers when it comes to preventing damage caused by high blood pressure from AAS? Are they just as good as ACE inhibitors, ARBS, etc?
I would hope that they would be selective in smooth cardiac muscle and not skeletal muscle.

@PeterBond

My doc currently has me on Amlodipine Besylate, 5mg daily.
ARBs and ACE inhibitors are favored over calcium antagonists in patients with heart failure with reduced ejection farction, but otherwise they're as efficacious in reducing blood pressure and have very similar effects on clinical endpoints such as mortality and major cardiovascular events. So in brief: yes, that's perfectly fine (assuming you tolerate them well).

Depends, there are numerous reversible conditions in which the GFR drops (i.e. creatinine levels increase).

Hypertension should be treated accordingly, preferably with angiontensin receptor blockers, ACE inhibitors or thiazide-like diuretics, see:

Have you also read this article?

Best is to monitor it with urine analysis and cystatin C measurements over time. Nevertheless, kidney damage seems rare. There are only a small number of cases in the literature and our national outpatient clinic for AAS users has seen hundreds of AAS users, without clinical signs of kidney damage in any of them. Only small, but reversible, increases of creatinine levels and new or progressive proteinuria have been seen during AAS use.
I guess my concern is from what I observed in my body and from what I read online led me to believe I had several signs of advanced kidney disease but since going off completely for a month and starting over I feel perfectly fine. I definitely was eating like shit and retaining a ton of water. I think I learned my lesson. I've read both articles you wrote thank you very much.

Question is a BP reading of 133/68 worrisome in your opinion? That's the worst BP reading I ever had which was maybe 2 months ago now.

If that was your worst BP reading, no, not really. The averages over longer periods of time are of most interest.

Cool.

I have a question I just received medical coverage thru the state and I wanted to get bloodwork any idea who I need to talk to and when I do what do I say exactly? I'm assuming I do not want to admit to steroid use?

Why not just pay out of pocket for your own bloods? Sites like privatemdlabs let you do your own panel and/or individual tests. Results straight to your email, keeps anything suspicious off insurance too. Guess bloodwork is actually only available by dr orders in some states/countries.