Advice for a Layoff

99people99

Hey guys,

I have not had a deload/layoff since I can remember (~5-6 years), recently I popped something in my chest, forearm and both knees are sore to the touch. It has been around 2 months and they have not gotten better. I half ass do back, arms and legs because of the pain. Would it be beneficially to do a 1-2 week layoff to let everything heal? Or it is smarter to keep getting blood in the muscles with lighter pump sets.

I train 3 days on 1 off, hit each muscle every 8 days. I am seeing amazing results.

I am also on 4 iu hgh ed / 500 mg test

If it has been 5 years of nonstop training, you should take at least 1-2 weeks off. Maybe even another 1-2 weeks of moderate training when you get back. Go for some walks, do a little hiking, whatever keeps you active without stressing your body. It's not rest and recovery if you're not resting and recovering.

For me personally, it feels like torture during deloads because I have no other hobbies. But once I get back to the gym I feel fresh. Definitely worth it to catch up on sleep too.

If it has been 5 years of nonstop training, you should take at least 1-2 weeks off. Maybe even another 1-2 weeks of moderate training when you get back. Go for some walks, do a little hiking, whatever keeps you active without stressing your body. It's not rest and recovery if you're not resting and recovering.

For me personally, it feels like torture during deloads because I have no other hobbies. But once I get back to the gym I feel fresh. Definitely worth it to catch up on

I love lifting so I understand where you are coming from. It is so hard for me to accept not lifting for a week or two. It is such a mood booster. But if this is the only way for my body to heal I will force myself

When i would get to beat up to really train. I would change movements, do more isolation exercises, work on form, do rehab exercises etc. Till things healed up well enough. 1-2 weeks is really not going to heal many long term issues. Tendons take longer then that to regenerate. All depends on where you want to be next year or several years down the road.

I train the same frequency as you but I deload every 4-6 weeks. Granted I'm a 43yo ex competitor so that may be too frequent for you. Even when I see my strength progressing and I'm feeling great, taking a light week, or even a week off for a vacation it regularly surprises me how big of a boost that rest providers. I understand the psychological aspect of it, I'm on a deload week right now and the last two sessions I had got away from me and I really got after it. When you take time off, don't just loaf around, keep your momentum up by doing some active rest. Go on a walk or hike or hit the pool. It's not as satisfying as crushing it in the gym but it's good for you.

I train the same frequency as you but I deload every 4-6 weeks. Granted I'm a 43yo ex competitor so that may be too frequent for you. Even when I see my strength progressing and I'm feeling great, taking a light week, or even a week off for a vacation it regularly surprises me how big of a boost that rest providers. I understand the psychological aspect of it, I'm on a deload week right now and the last two sessions I had got away from me and I really got after it. When you take time off, don't just loaf around, keep your momentum up by doing some active rest. Go on a walk or hike or hit the pool. It's not as satisfying as crushing it in the gym but it's good for you.
How do you deload. Usually I train 9-12 sets total, 3-4 sets to failure (with forced reps) per muscle.
When i would get to beat up to really train. I would change movements, do more isolation exercises, work on form, do rehab exercises etc. Till things healed up well enough. 1-2 weeks is really not going to heal many long term issues. Tendons take longer then that to regenerate. All depends on where you want to be next year or several years down the road.
I want to lift my whole life. So what do you think would be the best for this? Taking a longer period off until all injuries stop hurting?

How do you deload. Usually I train 9-12 sets total, 3-4 sets to failure (with forced reps) per muscle.

I want to lift my whole life. So what do you think would be the best for this? Taking a longer period off until all injuries stop hurting?
I started lifting in 1974. I don't train tendons that hurt. Or i train them so i am not hurting them. I do what i can. /and if i can't then i focus on what i can do. I am in it for the long term. I have never taken any time off from training. Other then a week after surgery or for a vacation. Can you do 1 high high rep set for the injured areas without pain. Then there is an option for keeping training. There are many ways around working out.

Last edited:

I don't have a strict definition of a deload, I kind of just play it by ear. If I'm tired, my connective tissue hurts, or I'm just burnt out, I'll go as easy as 40-50% of normal weight. And leave a lot in the tank, just going through the motions and working on ROM. And that 40-50% is pretty light as I typically stay in the higher rep ranges anyway 15-20 on almost everything and I don't remember the last time I went below 8.
But sometimes I get into a session where I'm supposed to deload but I feel super strong and I'm just in the groove. In that case I'll push it and then reevaluate on the next exercise.

As I've gotten older I've put more attention into technique and trying to focus on getting as much out of as little weight as possible. I suspect that's probably the best for your joints. Learning how to be really strict and maximize the suffering per lb of weight lifted. I've started to emulate Eric Janicki's lifting style.

Of course, take all of this with a grain of salt. I'm also in a perpetual debate with myself on whether or not I'm using injuries and fatigue as an excuse to be a bitch. The human body is pretty incredible when it comes to adaptation.

For a good deload paradigm - Good rule of thumb is if you're trying to get rid of systemic fatigue - then do half the volume and keep the intensity/weight (I.e., half sets and half reps).

If its due to local and joint stress and fatigue - then half the weight as well in addition to the volume.

I would definitely think about taking a deload followed by a complete week off.
You wont loose muscle, especially if enhanced cutting the volume for such a short period

After that amount of time without a deload + the injuries you are talking about, I would START with 2 complete weeks off from training. Come back, see how you feel and decide from there. I bet, as long as your injuries heal, you will be AMAZED with how strong and fresh you feel. I have always hated every break I have taken over the years (as I, too, am addicted to iron) but always come back better and really don't miss a beat after only a few weeks.

Breaks/Rest are part of the game. This is probably the most challenging aspect of all for many BB/lifters but it is a critical mental aspect that must be mastered to realize top potential.