Any Muay Thai fighters here? Need stretch advice

Hayes88

To handle the stress I have been turning more and more towards MT and away from the gym, and
so far it's working tremendously well. Not just for the intense humbling experience, but the quick
bro feeling you get with those around you - men and women.

However, I am getting injuries each time which renders training day after high risk (injuries).
One wrong kick and foot is gone 2-3 days.
Or hipflexors get overworked and I cannot kick at all.

I think I big reason to why I cannot follow the training as well as I want is because I've only been
in the gym, I am stiff as F. So what they state is easy, I cannot do, and if I can do it I cannot do
it while holding balance.
How important is hard stretch in MT and how often should I do it?
Trainer tried helping me stretch today and I literally got tears lol... I rather be beat up than stretch,
hurts way less.

Hey mate

I did over 20 years Kickboxing and Karate, stretching is important yes, especially if you do martial arts. Static stretching to prevent injuries (e.g. at the beginning of a training session) and dynamic stretching during or shortly after training. However, I have to say that I got my high kicks so high through these kicks and not through the stretching itself. Stretch my hips 2-3 times a week, hamstrings....max 15min. That's all you need. Injuries with kicks etc. you only get as a beginner in MuayThai, kickboxing etc. with time there are more sprains, bruises. Logically, things like “wrong kicks you described” should no longer exist.

Hey mate

I did over 20 years Kickboxing and Karate, stretching is important yes, especially if you do martial arts. Static stretching to prevent injuries (e.g. at the beginning of a training session) and dynamic stretching during or shortly after training. However, I have to say that I got my high kicks so high through these kicks and not through the stretching itself. Stretch my hips 2-3 times a week, hamstrings....max 15min. That's all you need. Injuries with kicks etc. you only get as a beginner in MuayThai, kickboxing etc. with time there are more sprains, bruises. Logically, things like “wrong kicks you described” should no longer exist.

Oh come on 1 wrong kick and the guy can’t walk for week? Your bones are weak have not hardened and nerves are too sensitive, and u think u can do muy Thai for fun? Lmao
I have friends that are pro fighters been in belator pride ect. A good friend of mine beat the 4th or 5th Muay Thai guy in the world I won’t name drop. He said the banana tree might work but he usto chill watching a movie or something while hitting his shins or rolling them with a baseball bat lol.

Those kids start at 5 years old.

Hey mate

So the more u stretch out the more explosive tension you loose , I remember from foot ball with ridicules 20 30 min stretches before a game or practice. I think Louie Simmons says the same thing. I need to be a little too loose but not fully loose stretched out. Then all the tension is gone. The tension u need for power

Hey mate

Great answer and info, thank you! Will follow this advice.

The guy who trained me yesterday was a big boy, and not in muscles. But he was great, and impressively flexible and explosive.

Even my hernia and shoulder has improved. Limping today, but still makes me want to go back and learn more.

Love it that you put this here, Laclark.
Louie, bless him.
Deffo not a yoga bunny, lol.
He is like: there you are, wasting time stretching, when you are weak to begin with. You are stretching whaaaaaaat?

Fine, but also one must recognise sport specific skills and requirements.
Like, a martial artist will need to achieve a superior flexibility than an nfl player.
Stating the obvious, but just to say different things, depending on the scenario.
His point remains valid, though: address your functional weaknesses, otherwise stretching will do sod all.
For Louie, it was all about a heavy bar and posterior chain.
Easier said than done. Lol.

I hope El Senor Youknowwho doesn't see me writing about his hero Mr Simmons, in case this is just a load of rubbish and so this would be the time I finally end up on his shit list.
Hasta la vista.

Back