• ATTENTION New Members: Please take a few moments to introduce yourself, show your commitment to harm reduction, and chat with the community in the "New Member Introduction" subforum. This will help unlock access to additional forum features and privileges.

Bromocriptine during TRT

ievb4fun

During recent blood work, my doctor ordered a Serum Prolactin test. The results were 13.1 ng/mL (3-19 reference). So the results were on the medium-high side, which made me wonder what prolactin is and what it does. Much to my dismay, it is largely responsible for lactating, in other words making milk !!! From what I read there is no good reason for this hormone in males. Having Tanner Stage III gyno since puberty, I'm a little sensitive to issues like this. Futher research shows that bromocriptine (used for Parkinsons and endo disorders) is a common treatment solution option for prolactinomas (tumors that increase prolactin release). Bromocriptine also seems to reduce bodyweight and improve glucose tolerance in obese subjects. Wow, now this seems to be a nice drug to include in our arsenal.

Swale, do you see benefit or harm from including this drug in TRT therapy?

ievb4fun said:
During recent blood work, my doctor ordered a Serum Prolactin test. The results were 13.1 ng/mL (3-19 reference). So the results were on the medium-high side, which made me wonder what prolactin is and what it does. Much to my dismay, it is largely responsible for lactating, in other words making milk !!! From what I read there is no good reason for this hormone in males. Having Tanner Stage III gyno since puberty, I'm a little sensitive to issues like this. Futher research shows that bromocriptine (used for Parkinsons and endo disorders) is a common treatment solution option for prolactinomas (tumors that increase prolactin release). Bromocriptine also seems to reduce bodyweight and improve glucose tolerance in obese subjects. Wow, now this seems to be a nice drug to include in our arsenal.

Swale, do you see benefit or harm from including this drug in TRT therapy?

Lyle who seems to stay in the nutrition section is "the bromo man" try your question over there

Your PRL is nicely mid-range. There is absolutley no reason to alter it, especially with a medication with the nasty sides bromo does.

Prolactin is present in your body for reasons. It is an integral player in the hormonal milieu which allows you to maintain life in a changing environment. Lowering it too much, for instance, compromises your immune system.