Can't control my cholesterol. How bad is it really?

jtmarlin

I have a strange cholesterol issue. I don't understand my numbers. I have rock bottom triglycerides (56), chronically elevated LDL 160, normal HDL levels 40-60 depending on the gear I'm using and ultra low VLDL at 10. Total 207. They are nearly always this way.

My Apo A-1 (good) is 119 in range. My Apo B (bad) is 120 and it's chronically been there (90 or less is good). This number doesn't seem to change much no matter what gear. The main number that changes if I push gear is my HDL drops.

I don't know if I need a statin. Do any of you self medicate with stations? It seems odd that sources don't carry these. I had a great long term doctor but he left and my new doctor is a retard. I'm thinking of getting a remote "bodybuilding doctor" to treat me but just curious about the cholesterol.

I just replied to a similar thread. Please do homework on statins and cholesterol. IMO and IANAD, statins are useful for 1% of people who take them. I think Dr. William Davis (cardiologist) was the one that posted it.

My understanding is that LDL doesn't matter -- it's inflammation in your arteries that is the first step in LDL clogging them. Triglycerides are important because (I think), they correlate with ApoB.

Total Chol is a math function of HDL + LDL + 1/5 Trigs so it's totally worthless. Do you see why? It has good stuff + bad stuff to make a total. If the total is high, how do you know it's not from too much good stuff.. anyway stuff you can research.

(I haven't looked into ApoA and ApoB so don't have any education to share on those)

You can check your inflammation with a Sensitive CRP test.

Big Pharma is not your friend. Note: IANAD

I have a strange cholesterol issue. I don't understand my numbers. I have rock bottom triglycerides (56), chronically elevated LDL 160, normal HDL levels 40-60 depending on the gear I'm using and ultra low VLDL at 10. Total 207. They are nearly always this way.

My Apo A-1 (good) is 119 in range. My Apo B (bad) is 120 and it's chronically been there (90 or less is good). This number doesn't seem to change much no matter what gear. The main number that changes if I push gear is my HDL drops.

I don't know if I need a statin. Do any of you self medicate with stations? It seems odd that sources don't carry these. I had a great long term doctor but he left and my new doctor is a retard. I'm thinking of getting a remote "bodybuilding doctor" to treat me but just curious about the cholesterol.
Statins is a personal choice. I have had a less than desirable cholesterol profile most my life, it was actually worse when natural. I find the side effect profile of statins not worth it for me.

I've tried a lot of things over the years and what has worked best is increasing fiber through fruits, vegetables and taking psyllium fiber twice a day. Doing cardio all year and doing as much as I reasonably can time and energy wise. Making sure that most of my fat intake is through healthy fats like olive oil, quality animal fat, fish avocado, things like that and not bullshit processed oils. Supps like fish oil and multivitamin.

Hard to say what is helping the most, but my lipid profile is now in healthy range as a non natural, even on light blasts. Genetics give you the set point for lipids but you can move the needle with lifestyle choices.

Looking at how much longer a person that uses statins tends to live small studies point to a few days to 3 months. 2 Cardiologists i have talked say they have seen no studies about people having a longer life if they use a statin. The pluses and minuses should be considered when using them i think. There are down sides especially considering the dose.

Back