Deadlift #'s and your methods

Discussion in 'Training Forum' started by CAswole, Jun 20, 2016.

1. RodgerThat

RodgerThat Member

Unfortunately just shirtless :(

DonQKong, RandallNowan and insaiyan93 like this.
  2. RandallNowan

RandallNowan Member AnabolicLab.com Supporter

Ha! My compression shorts showing the full testicular atrophied package! And my belly :(

DonQKong likes this.
  3. RandallNowan

I am aching severely today. Just got cramp in my hands and forearms from five minutes' writing!

ickyrica likes this.
  4. ickyrica

ickyrica Member AnabolicLab.com Supporter

I'd puke here and there after a crossfit wod.

5. RandallNowan

Sets of heavy deadlifts often have me vomiting about 5 minutes later.

ickyrica likes this.
  6. DonQKong

DonQKong Member

I've seen the ladies in his gym giggle and faint around him for less. When we lift them up to chuck them out the window, there's always this wet, sticky, shrimp-smelling pond under their bums ...

He's got it that Randall, he's got da moves :cool:

Anyways, 2 weeks into pct, and I pulled 175kg clean, straps and belt this morning, 5/3/1. Did another 30 reps in the 110-135kg space. My PR is 180kg, so no question I feel good !

RandallNowan likes this.
  7. technik

technik Member

How is everyone's upper body angled, relative to the floor, at the start of the pull?

I was reading some articles from Mark Rippetoe and have tried to adjust my form based on what he recommends. I had initially been starting with my hips somewhat low and the bar usually came up a little in front of my legs and this felt pretty much fine, although a lot of weight was on the balls of my feet and my heels not so much.

So now I've been trying to start with my hips up, chest up, and keep the bar over the center of my feet and in contact with my legs the whole way up. This seems to be more difficult and I definitely feel like my lats are working harder but I can't tell if my back is straight enough.

I'm starting the pull with my upper body pretty much parallel to the floor but for me it seems like it would be better if my hips were a bit lower so my upper body was a little bit more upright.

Thoughts?

8. Perrin Aybara

Perrin Aybara Member

My back angle is about 45 degrees. Parallel to the floor is no good.

CAswole and technik like this.
  9. RodgerThat

RodgerThat Member

There is no one back angle that makes the perfect deadlift. It all depends on your body's proportions and how you pull. If you have longer arms you can be more vertical you should use rippitoe as a guide but then take videos of yourself to see if there's any hitches or spots where it doesn't move smoothly that's when you should be making changes

technik likes this.
  10. RandallNowan

Chest up, sit back, slight rock back, stand up... Gorilla pose, I often call it.
    Make sure all the "strain" is taken and all the slack is out of the bar before you begin the lift itself.

technik likes this.
  11. DonQKong

DonQKong Member

I used to be very flexible and the first months of deadlifting, I did them pretty much straight legged . Hit the first plateu, worked on form and found my sweet spot is if I bend the knees 30 degrees to give the bar some pop off the ground. Those 30 degrees, maybe a bit less, puts me slightly more horizontal than a gorilla.

Does anyone roll the shoulders forward and down to make the travel distance for the bar less?

technik likes this.
  12. RandallNowan

I've recently heard that shoulders forward is the way to go... I'm deffo a shoulders back kind of a guy, though.

13. RodgerThat

RodgerThat Member

Don't roll your shoulders down to decrease bar travel distance that is a very advanced powerlifting technique and honestly most of us here aren't crush those kinds of numbers everyone should be maintaining a tight thoracic hold by engaging the lats and using your rhomboid a and traps to keep your shoulders back and your shoulder blades tight. This not only will give you a better chance to avoid injury but will activate more muscle during the pull giving the thicker back everyone desires. If you are going toe to toe with rubbish then hell yes gain that .75 of an inch and drop your shoulders otherwise there isn't a point.

RandallNowan likes this.
  14. technik

technik Member

Thanks for the advice. I did video myself today and it wasn't terrible but I felt like my lower back was rounding a bit. I think I'll drop my hips a little and keep adjusting. Like Perrin, about 45 degrees was feeling pretty good for me but then I started playing with it.

15. DonQKong

DonQKong Member

You started playing with it in the gym? We get thrown out of the gym for doing that over here - is it a 'bro' gym?

16. DonQKong

DonQKong Member

Checked again and I roll my shoulders forward keeping a straight spine. I must have picked it up last summer. My set up list literally goes "put your shoulders in your front pocket".

I don't know if it making me stronger or weaker, but it "feels right". Also see the point of muscle activation, which probably is less wit my shoulders in "my front pocket".

DQ

17. technik

technik Member

lol well, as it so happens, my gym is in my basement so... ;)

DonQKong likes this.
  18. Cleant1

Cleant1 Member

I haven't yet been able to pin my deadlift form down. Everything feels bad, everything is hard - lol. But, I'm of the mentality that if its comfortable, you're not doing it right.

Squat are gold on the other hand, I destroy squats.

19. DonQKong

DonQKong Member

That's fucked up, I was the other way around. My squat hurt, felt bad, rattle, unbalanced, just couldn't get the fucker nailed.

Then one day, boom, it all came together and I added 45 kg / 105 lbs on my squat overnight. I felt like caaaammming in the gym.

- Arnold

RandallNowan likes this.
  20. technik

technik Member

I think my form is finally coming together for squats, which in my previous lifting era were severely neglected. I'm about to head over to the skwaat thread so I can feel bad about myself lol

This deadlift thread was already pretty humbling