Easy Vial Sterilization Technique

666bym

Hey guys,

I plan on getting into homebrewing and since it can be a pain in the ass to source high quality pre-sterilized vials, I thought of an alternative technique using a very easy process and a pressure cooker. Basically I took some concepts I've been applying when growing magic mushrooms.

Here's the technique:
  1. Prepare the Vials and Stoppers:
    • Clean the vials and rubber stoppers with tap water and dish soap.
    • Rinse thoroughly with distilled water.
    • Dry them in an oven at a low temperature (approximately 80°C or 175°F) for about 20 minutes, and allow them to cool completely. We don't want any water/ humidity left in the vials.
  2. Cap and Crimp the Vials:
    • Insert a rubber stopper into each vial and crimp it securely so that the vial is sealed but empty.
  3. Prepare for Sterilization:
    • Insert a sterile syringe needle through the rubber stopper of each vial. The needle should be large enough to allow for air exchange without leaving a huge hole in the stopper
    • Cover the needle opening with micropore tape to prevent contamination when removing the vials from the pressure cooker. The micropore tape will allow for air exchange but will prevent for contamination to enter when removing the vials from the PC. Again, I borrowed this concept from mycology and it works. Essentially attaching a syringe filter to the needle would give you the same effect but using micropore tape is more cost effective.
  4. Setup for Sterilization:
    • Place the crimped and needle-inserted vials into a suitable container or basket that can withstand high temperatures and pressure.
    • Arrange the container or basket inside the pressure cooker, ensuring there is adequate space around the vials for steam to circulate.
  5. Sterilization Process:
    • Add water to the bottom of the pressure cooker and close it.
    • Heat the pressure cooker on high until steam begins to escape from the valve.
    • Once steam is escaping, place the weight on the pressure cooker and increase the pressure to at least 15 psi (preferably 18 psi).
    • Maintain this pressure for 45 minutes to ensure thorough sterilization of the vials.
  6. Post-Sterilization:
    • Allow the pressure cooker to cool down completely before opening it. This will prevent the risk of contamination from steam or hot surfaces.
    • Carefully remove the container or basket with the vials from the pressure cooker, ensuring you maintain a sterile environment.
  7. Final Steps:
    • Once the vials are cool, carefully remove the needle from each vial.
    • Store the sterilized vials in a clean, dry place until needed.

This should make sterilization a shit ton easier for many people. Let me know what you think, feedback is appreciated.

10-15 years back, everyone sterilize vials with that technique. I don't know how it disappear now. I do that also, but I sterilize vials and stoppers separately. Then I put stoppers in iso alcohol after sterilization and use it directly from there as iso evaporate very fast and fill vials immediately after sterilization. Also I always use sterilization indicator tape.

For 25 years now I've just used a iso 70% wash and rack dry and never had an issue. Sometimes I'll pressure cook labware after a year or two of use then back to ISO baths

For 25 years now I've just used a iso 70% wash and rack dry and never had an issue. Sometimes I'll pressure cook labware after a year or two of use then back to ISO baths
Yeah I know that may work just fine. But like many others, I would rather play it safe and go fully sterile. Just a personal preference since I have seen with mushrooms how far the tiniest amount of contamination can go. I know not the same here because of BA/BB, but still..

Sponsors