Fbi Director Raises Concerns About Smartphone-security Plans

Yeah, how dare anyone own a mobile phone that can't be searched by the government! :rolleyes:

FBI Director James Comey on Thursday said he is concerned about moves by Apple Inc. and Google Inc. to market phones that can't be searched by law enforcement, saying agency officials have engaged in discussions with both companies.

"What concerns me about this is companies marketing something expressly to allow people to place themselves beyond the law," Mr. Comey said in a briefing with reporters.

The Federal Bureau of Investigation director said he wants to understand the technology better, adding that "it may be time" for a national conversation about whether "we doing things that no longer make sense, that are no longer consistent with our commitment that we are a country of law where no one is beyond the law."

An Apple spokeswoman declined to comment on whether the iPhone maker is in talks with the FBI and pointed to Apple Chief Executive Tim Cook's recent comments on data protection.

"People have a right to privacy," Mr. Cook said in an interview this month with Charlie Rose. "And I think that's going to be a very key topic over the next year or so."

"What concerns me about this is companies marketing something expressly to allow people to place themselves beyond the law," Mr. Comey said in a briefing with reporters.

"People have a right to privacy,"

So the right to privacy is beyond the law? Is there anything left that's beyond the law?