Glass filtration setup or bottle top?

alfanot

New to using anything other than syringe filters.

I bought glass media bottles and Nalgene Bottle Top filters (Nalgene™ Rapid-Flow™ Sterile Single Use Vacuum Filter Units) (0.2um Nylon) however it seems to really slow down after 100ml and it starts cracking and I am certain it is letting oil get pass the filter part as there is some particles in the bottle. I am using an electric pump and I never get it higher than 10psi yet it still cracks. Again, I am NOT using the plastic media bottle it comes with. Am I retarded or are these bottle top filters just shit? Using just GSO, BA, BB. No EO or G.

Alternatively I am considering going to a glass setup like this: https://www.amazon.com/stonylab-Filtration-Apparatus-Borosilicate-Filtering/dp/B08QD7SX35/
I could not find anything if the built in glass filter will be any issue with BA or BB. I would be using PVDF filter paper with it which I assume will sit on top of the built in glass filter.

What should I do?

New to using anything other than syringe filters.

I bought glass media bottles and Nalgene Bottle Top filters (Nalgene™ Rapid-Flow™ Sterile Single Use Vacuum Filter Units) (0.2um Nylon) however it seems to really slow down after 100ml and it starts cracking and I am certain it is letting oil get pass the filter part as there is some particles in the bottle. I am using an electric pump and I never get it higher than 10psi yet it still cracks. Again, I am NOT using the plastic media bottle it comes with. Am I retarded or are these bottle top filters just shit? Using just GSO, BA, BB. No EO or G.

Alternatively I am considering going to a glass setup like this: https://www.amazon.com/stonylab-Filtration-Apparatus-Borosilicate-Filtering/dp/B08QD7SX35/
I could not find anything if the built in glass filter will be any issue with BA or BB. I would be using PVDF filter paper with it which I assume will sit on top of the built in glass filter.

What should I do?
0.2um is a little tougher on initial that could be the main reason. I would add extra filter pads to compensate or get .45um in future for first round. Could also be user error make sure you pump valve is flush work no more than 1-2 minute increments should have some results at 5psi otherwise something is wrong. Lastly they could have been left out in bad conditions if the plastic seems more rigid/ brittle than usual.

@Jet Labs can chime in if he wants he has far better knowledge about those things.

I brew for personal use only and use bottletops or syringe filters when filtering exotics

Try to get the 1000ml bottle top, PVDF or PTFE, they have wider membrane (90mm) and should filter faster.

The peristaltic pump and capsule filter are a great option, but if you don't own a lab maybe it's overkill.

I use 2,5 inch PTFE capsule, and they have very high flow rate, up to 10L according to manufacturer.

Try to get the 1000ml bottle top, PVDF or PTFE, they have wider membrane (90mm) and should filter faster.

The peristaltic pump and capsule filter are a great option, but if you don't own a lab maybe it's overkill.

I use 2,5 inch PTFE capsule, and they have very high flow rate, up to 10L according to manufacturer.
Is PTFE cool to use with BB & BA?

This is exactly what you want. Should cost you about $275

https://www.crpump.com/en/20170627/100.html
What exact specification of peristaltic pump and Polycap AS filter would be best ? Can you provide exact specification which can efficiently filter lot of oil at once?

Thank you in Advance

@Bigguy81 @H&M

If it's between Nylon & PTFE, what do you guys prefer? which is the best? TIA
Honestly brother it should be between PVDF and PTFE. Not nylon and PVDF. Nylon filter suck. It would literally take you 45 minutes to filter 200mL and the filter will probably be clogged after that.

I've used these myself and they are good PVDF membranes. Just make sure if you buy PVDF they are hydrophobic and not hydrophilic though. These are 47mm, but I think they have 90mm to. let me look.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/384972232992?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=w4lbW71KSqy&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=w4lbW71KSqy&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

No just more 47mm PTFE which is what I suggest over PVDF. Although PVDF wull work fine. I like them too. Again as long as they're hydrophobic

Any other questions just let me know. I'm always trying to help

https://www.ebay.com/itm/384969481354?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=w4lbW71KSqy&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=w4lbW71KSqy&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

If you really want to do it right and on a bigger scale I would say use one of these instead. You could do up to 10,000ml in one shot. Oh and in 20 minutes.lol just a thought

https://www.ebay.com/itm/385057481941?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=w4lbW71KSqy&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=w4lbW71KSqy&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

That is false. Oil filtration needs hydrophilic filters. Hydrophobic filters are used for gas filtration
Here we go.. And how long have you been brewing for? Hydrophobic membranes are actually the best for filtering gear considering the aggressive solvents such as BA, BB, or EO and G. Are hydrophobic filters meant for filtering gasses as well? Yes they are you're correct, but if you did a little more research you would also see they are used for filtration of aqueous solutions.

Yes you put a hydrophobic 90mm PVDF filter membrane next to a PBDD hydrophilic membrane of the same size and try to filter, and see what the results are. Yes in the time it would take for you to filter 100ml I would already be done with 2000ml. The only time hydrophilic is any good is if you're using a capsule filter such as a whattman polycap 36as, but if we're talking about regular membranes for a glass filtration set up or something hydrophobic is way more Superior.

I would like to think you're speaking from experience and not from something you read on the internet. However just in case it is something you read on the internet here's a little something else you can read.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221004-084649_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20221004-084649_Chrome.jpg
    680 KB · Views: 50