HGH Administration While On Tamoxifen

TurtleTank

Hey guys,

I know this subject has come up quite a bit, but I couldn’t find a definitive answer from our resident geniuses.

When I look up research papers, the Tamoxifen effect on IGF is well documented, though the cause is always speculative.

However, all the speculation I find is that estrogen plays a role in the signaling of GHRH to release GH. Example:

“Estrogens appear to play a permissive role in growth hormone (GH) release by the pituitary gland and GH is known to stimulate IGF-I expression by hepatocytes. It is therefore possible that blockade of estrogen receptors in the hypothalamic-pituitary axis by tamoxifen interferes with GH release, leading to reduced hepatic IGF-I expression.” Tamoxifen reduces serum insulin-like growth factor I (IGF-I) - Breast Cancer Research and Treatment

Another:

“Our study confirm the inhibitory effect of tamoxifen on IGF-I and suggested, as shown in previous in vitro data, that its suppression could be directly related to GH reduction in response to GHRH stimulation.”

If that is the case, wouldn’t exogenous administration of GH negate the impact on IGF and effectively eliminate this as an issue for bodybuilders taking GH?

If that is the case, wouldn’t exogenous administration of GH negate the impact on IGF and effectively eliminate this as an issue for bodybuilders taking GH?

I see your line of reasoning and it seems to make sense. Tamoxifen isn't inhibiting hepatic IGF-1 production so replacing the GH exogenously should still have an effect (plus IGF-1 independent effects of GH).

IGF-1 testing on tamoxifen before and a few weeks after GH should give us a hint. (preferably also before tamoxifen but that's a big ask)