How do you know if your filter is blown?

borkies

I mean, other than the filter catastrophically bursting at the seams.

I ran a batch of TrenA thru nylon .22u filters, and to me seemed like there was no resistance. I'll preface this with - this is the first time I've brewed TrenA (also 100mg/ml instead of my usual other brews/esters at 200/250) so maybe it filters much easier than other esters? Brew heated to 115F, using MCT - and it just streamed thru the filter no problem. I changed the filter, same issue. Am I overthinking this? Also, its not like it resisted at first, then suddenly started flowing like the membrane ripped. Just boom, out the gate - no resistance.

End product nice and crystal clear like it should be.

Check the temperature limits for your filter. I have tried to filter when brew was too hot for the filter and experienced the same thing. Also, I have applied too much pressure with a caulking gun. Try filtering by hand and you can likely get a better feel for the required pressure. Even mig840, which is practically water, takes slow and steady pressure when filtering by hand.

With practice you get a feel for the right amount of pressure to use.

So I'm assuming it's a bottle top filter your talking about. They will usually run atleast 500ml before you will see the flow slow down.. the cleaner/high quality of your ingredients the longer your filter will last.
Now I don't re use filters. Doesn't matter if I only filter 100ml or a 1000ml once it's done it's garbage. I don't use it then put it in zip lock to use later on again.
I think that answers your questions. Hopefully

This was a 25mm syringe filter, I changed it out just to be sure and same thing. I've also run brews at hotter temps (but higher concentrations / other esters), this was the "coolest" brew I've run thru these filters. I usually change syringe filters every 50-60ml. Also, same batch of filters I've used previously (I have a 100pack of them). Actually ran a batch of MastE right before the TrenA... same amount of pressure, etc. The TrenA just passed thru like water.

Usually I put enough pressure on the gun to have the brew dribbling into the vial, takes maybe 60 seconds to fill a vial. Same pressure with TrenA - shot out like a small stream immediately.

Your idea about doing it by hand to get a better feel for it is good - I usually use the caulking gun method.

I really need to roll a vaccuum / bottle top system. I don't brew much, and the gun method works... but it just feels kinda crackhead ghetto.

Edit: looks like max operating temp for the filters is 100C, so I was within range. Good to know that though for the future.

Last edited:
This was a 25mm syringe filter, I changed it out just to be sure and same thing. I've also run brews at hotter temps (but higher concentrations / other esters), this was the "coolest" brew I've run thru these filters. I usually change syringe filters every 50-60ml. Also, same batch of filters I've used previously (I have a 100pack of them). Actually ran a batch of MastE right before the TrenA... same amount of pressure, etc. The TrenA just passed thru like water.

Usually I put enough pressure on the gun to have the brew dribbling into the vial, takes maybe 60 seconds to fill a vial. Same pressure with TrenA - shot out like a small stream immediately.

Your idea about doing it by hand to get a better feel for it is good - I usually use the caulking gun method.

I really need to roll a vaccuum / bottle top system. I don't brew much, and the gun method works... but it just feels kinda crackhead ghetto.

Edit: looks like max operating temp for the filters is 100C, so I was within range. Good to know that though for the future.
So I've used syringe filters in the past, by hand and they always flowed decent.. very light stream and around 100ml would slow down a good amount. I believe they say in the specs that they are good to 100ml range ish. I've always filtered with 90-120f oil. Much smoother.
What size syringe are you using? I never went higher then 5ml. Smaller the syringe the more pressure/easier to push through filter.
If it was me I would feel comfortable with a slow stream honestly.
Yes bottle top with electric pump is great. But if your not doing more then 10 vials of each compound may not be worth it.

So I've used syringe filters in the past, by hand and they always flowed decent.. very light stream and around 100ml would slow down a good amount. I believe they say in the specs that they are good to 100ml range ish. I've always filtered with 90-120f oil. Much smoother.
What size syringe are you using? I never went higher then 5ml. Smaller the syringe the more pressure/easier to push through filter.
If it was me I would feel comfortable with a slow stream honestly.
Yes bottle top with electric pump is great. But if your not doing more then 10 vials of each compound may not be worth it.
Yeah I think 100ml is what they say too, but I'm kinda weird and change them out sooner anyway. I usually notice them slowing down a little around 60ml anyway.

I use a 60ml syringe put in a caulking gun for pressure. Then I lightly/carefully engage the caulking gun to bring the output to a light dribble. I did it by hand once upon a time when I started a couple years ago, and used 3ml syringes but only brewed maybe 100ml total like that before I got tired of it.

The TrenA I ran thru at 115F. The MastE I ran thru at 140F.

If a small stream is okay then I probably won't worry about it. Maybe it's just the nature of TrenA at 100mg/ml flows easier than heavier esters at higher concentrations.

Yeah I think 100ml is what they say too, but I'm kinda weird and change them out sooner anyway. I usually notice them slowing down a little around 60ml anyway.

I use a 60ml syringe put in a caulking gun for pressure. Then I lightly/carefully engage the caulking gun to bring the output to a light dribble. I did it by hand once upon a time when I started a couple years ago, and used 3ml syringes but only brewed maybe 100ml total like that before I got tired of it.

The TrenA I ran thru at 115F. The MastE I ran thru at 140F.

If a small stream is okay then I probably won't worry about it. Maybe it's just the nature of TrenA at 100mg/ml flows easier than heavier esters at higher concentrations.
The warmer the oil the thinner.. as long as it's safe hotter is smoother.
Good luck bro.
Amazon has vacuum kits cheap.. and the sterile disposable bottle filters are an option as well.. I use glass flasks and just order the top have of disposable bottle top filters.. 500ml size. It's a breeze once you do it. Less then $100 for a basic economy set up. But the filling vials is another story.. I use a bottle top filler that screws right on to flask after I filter.. gets expensive.

The warmer the oil the thinner.. as long as it's safe hotter is smoother.
Good luck bro.
Amazon has vacuum kits cheap.. and the sterile disposable bottle filters are an option as well.. I use glass flasks and just order the top have of disposable bottle top filters.. 500ml size. It's a breeze once you do it. Less then $100 for a basic economy set up. But the filling vials is another story.. I use a bottle top filler that screws right on to flask after I filter.. gets expensive.
Right on - I'm gonna order the stuff and get on the vacuum train ASAP.

Right on - I'm gonna order the stuff and get on the vacuum train ASAP.
My tren a was MUCH easier then test cyp by far, your experience was mine too. I go by hand, and my thumbs kill, but i gauge easier pressure and its fine. But smallish almost stream tren a, slower drips test cyp 200.

I would think a test cyp 100 would do same?

My tren a was MUCH easier then test cyp by far, your experience was mine too. I go by hand, and my thumbs kill, but i gauge easier pressure and its fine. But smallish almost stream tren a, slower drips test cyp 200.

I would think a test cyp 100 would do same?
Thank you for this. Makes me feel like I might not be insane. Maybe. ;)

So I'm assuming it's a bottle top filter your talking about. They will usually run atleast 500ml before you will see the flow slow down.. the cleaner/high quality of your ingredients the longer your filter will last.
Now I don't re use filters. Doesn't matter if I only filter 100ml or a 1000ml once it's done it's garbage. I don't use it then put it in zip lock to use later on again.
I think that answers your questions. Hopefully
I am using sterile membrane filters 0,45um and usually it goes 150ml before start slowing down. But I often have problems with testo enanthate, the filter gets blocked after 20-30ml and slows down a lot. I dont know what is the problem, but it was discussed here on the forum few times in last years and still there is no answer why testo e makes problems like this. Did you ever noticed that bro?

I am using sterile membrane filters 0,45um and usually it goes 150ml before start slowing down. But I often have problems with testo enanthate, the filter gets blocked after 20-30ml and slows down a lot. I dont know what is the problem, but it was discussed here on the forum few times in last years and still there is no answer why testo e makes problems like this. Did you ever noticed that bro?
.45um is not good, you should be using .2um. I believe .45 um isnt sterile. To big pore size. Lets things through.

.45um is not good, you should be using .2um. I believe .45 um isnt sterile. To big pore size. Lets things through.
To be fair though, thats what was commonly used 15 years ago for finaplix homebrews. I never heard anyone from my circle get abscess or infections.

I will not risk it though even if filtering is easier compared to .22um.

I remember that being kinda common when I was using syringes filters years ago.. would start off good and slowly the drops would get slower..
I think it's some what normal..

It might be.. but any lab worth a damn uses .20um filter as final filter. There is no real negative to using the smaller filter.. is there?
If you brew a lot, then filterings time is important, anyway you are right.
I remember that being kinda common when I was using syringes filters years ago.. would start off good and slowly the drops would get slower..
I think it's some what normal..
I am not using syringe filters and this problem happens only with testo enanthate. Already tried a lot ways to fix it and still nothing :p

If you brew a lot, then filterings time is important, anyway you are right.

I am not using syringe filters and this problem happens only with testo enanthate. Already tried a lot ways to fix it and still nothing :p
Oh I'm sorry I missed interpreted your comment. I'm not sure why only your test e is slowing down . I haven't had an issue that extrem. I've had them slow down some but it was normal.