How to stop Binge Eating?

Carbohydrates increase appetite. Protein and fats satiate. You won't binge eat if you are eating avacados and beef....because that fat is going to get you full fast.
There's lots of ways to balance out your needs.

That said controlling your hunger is more about not having access to food.

I can sit down and eat 5 avacados easily. Beef is mighty tasty and can be eaten in excess.

Honestly for me having a bowl of steamed collards will shut down my hunger and provide very few calories if I'm trying to strip fat.

When it comes to meat I have to control myself because it tastes so good, where's collards get old quick, but does hardly nothing to the blood sugar, gives you great shits and stays with you.

I can sit down and eat 5 avacados easily. Beef is mighty tasty and can be eaten in excess.

Honestly for me having a bowl of steamed collards will shut down my hunger and provide very few calories if I'm trying to strip fat.

When it comes to meat I have to control myself because it tastes so good, where's collards get old quick, but does hardly nothing to the blood sugar, gives you great shits and stays with you.

Yeah, collard green shits are the best. I do agree.

Carbohydrates increase appetite. Protein and fats satiate. You won't binge eat if you are eating avacados and beef....because that fat is going to get you full fast.
You know from a physical perspective you are spot on, but binge eating is also psychological and some people just eat even though they're full. Mental health has a lot to do with binge eating, I'd even go as far as to say that binge eating is at least 60% psychological in nature.

Last edited:

You're spot on coming from the perspective of a physically and mentally healthy person. You are in control of what you want to eat and how you go about it. But there's an element of mental health concern which greatly influence binge eating. For some people with depression & anxiety issues, binge eating is a way out of their state of mental health. These people aren't too concerned about what or when they eat, they just eat, and eat, and eat without control. So while you're absolutely right on what works for you (to achieve satiety), it is not necessary how a mentally troubled individual would see it.

You're spot on coming from the perspective of a physically and mentally healthy person. You are in control of what you want to eat and how you go about it. But there's an element of mental health concern which greatly influence binge eating. For some people with depression & anxiety issues, binge eating is a way out of their state of mental health. These people aren't too concerned about what or when they eat, they just eat, and eat, and eat without control. So while you're absolutely right on what works for you (to achieve satiety), it is not necessary how a mentally troubled individual would see it.
It has more to do with lifestyle.

When I was a kid I was extremely active, probably 10hrs a day of exercise. When I was a young adult in college that suddenly changed over night when I was expected to study for hours everyday and then transition into a job that was 12hrs a day. I did have the benefit of a being a competitive cyclist, but that had me set up to eat thousands of calories everyday because I was training 50 to 100+ miles everyday so I could eat anything I wanted and never gain a pound.

When I was growing up in the 70's and 80's people worked physically hard, we didn't have obesity we have now even though personally I consider the food back in those days not very healthy with all the criso and sugar we consumed contrary to popular belief.

Physical activity is what occupies the mind, even great zen masters that champion sitting meditation as the key to pure consciousness will suggest hard physical exercise(practical work in their case) instead for those that have mental problems because sitting still is actually counter productive to a mind that won't calm down.

We have created a world where sedentary lifestyles are not only the norm, but are something to be striven for with many hours of sedentary education chasing as many credentials as possible in order to obtain a cushy position in life where you can look forward to more sitting and less activity until you roll into retirement with a pot belly and soft mushy bones.

Humans as we know them have been around for at least 50,000 years, perhaps 200,000 years and our ancestors go back millions of years in one form or another. Being sedentary is something our biology hasn't had enough time to evolve for, we were meant to be active for probably at least 25% of the day doing hard physical exercise to survive.

Take an elephant out of the wild and put him in a cage with a chained foot and feed him all day long and he'll become obese. Same thing for a Grizzly bear. We're no different, it's not a mental disorder, it's a modern over-socialization-civilization disorder.

Humans need water, food, shelter, basic tools, basic education and very basic healthcare. We have moved far past this point and because of that we have created a civilization that is way over populated and over fed with minimal effort.

It has more to do with lifestyle.

When I was a kid I was extremely active, probably 10hrs a day of exercise. When I was a young adult in college that suddenly changed over night when I was expected to study for hours everyday and then transition into a job that was 12hrs a day. I did have the benefit of a being a competitive cyclist, but that had me set up to eat thousands of calories everyday because I was training 50 to 100+ miles everyday so I could eat anything I wanted and never gain a pound.

When I was growing up in the 70's and 80's people worked physically hard, we didn't have obesity we have now even though personally I consider the food back in those days not very healthy with all the criso and sugar we consumed contrary to popular belief.

Physical activity is what occupies the mind, even great zen masters that champion sitting meditation as the key to pure consciousness will suggest hard physical exercise(practical work in their case) instead for those that have mental problems because sitting still is actually counter productive to a mind that won't calm down.

We have created a world where sedentary lifestyles are not only the norm, but are something to be striven for with many hours of sedentary education chasing as many credentials as possible in order to obtain a cushy position in life where you can look forward to more sitting and less activity until you roll into retirement with a pot belly and soft mushy bones.

Humans as we know them have been around for at least 50,000 years, perhaps 200,000 years and our ancestors go back millions of years in one form or another. Being sedentary is something our biology hasn't had enough time to evolve for, we were meant to be active for probably at least 25% of the day doing hard physical exercise to survive.

Take an elephant out of the wild and put him in a cage with a chained foot and feed him all day long and he'll become obese. Same thing for a Grizzly bear. We're no different, it's not a mental disorder, it's a modern over-socialization-civilization disorder.

Humans need water, food, shelter, basic tools, basic education and very basic healthcare. We have moved far past this point and because of that we have created a civilization that is way over populated and over fed with minimal effort.
I couldn't agree more. Lifestyle changes is certainly up there. And that's the thing, there's no fixed reason or cause that can be attributed to why a person would binge eat. Most times its a combination of so many stuff. But even without the right mental attitude/inspiration/drive (call it whatever you want), you cannot achieve physical goals. Ultimately the brain drives the body in the end. Lol...it's true about the food in the 70s and 80s, I guess it was a time when we really didn't know much about the health implications of many canned and processed food.

I couldn't agree more. Lifestyle changes is certainly up there. And that's the thing, there's no fixed reason or cause that can be attributed to why a person would binge eat. Most times its a combination of so many stuff. But even without the right mental attitude/inspiration/drive (call it whatever you want), you cannot achieve physical goals. Ultimately the brain drives the body in the end. Lol...it's true about the food in the 70s and 80s, I guess it was a time when we really didn't know much about the health implications of many canned and processed food.
Mental attitudes, drive and inspiration just aren't innate to our biology. These are artificial constructs and surrogates foisted on us by civilization that wants us to continue on with what is unnatural. A normal human quits when he meets his needs, a capitalist keeps grinding away storing up his nuts far in excess of what he will ever need and is applauded for his/her efforts.

Civilization has goals that need to be met, mostly you doing what is expected to support a system that feeds off you like a parasite.

Most of what man does is utter madness and for that reason we are shocked when a person takes their life, but I ask instead why more people aren't flipping out at a system that is clearly no longer in the best interests of the individual and is now more of a sadomasochism that is all about projecting an image to others that you won't crack under the pressure, even when life is basically absurd and pointless for millions of alarm smashers that experience a soul crushing groundhog day everyday to the trumpet of society clapping as you do everyday what would cause an animal to chew off his own leg to escape.

So diet is the least of our problems, we're in a hellscape and it should come as no surprise people use all sort of activities to escape.

Unpopular opinion; you just fucking stop. Binge eating is a loss of control. Learn better control. Build habits that contribute to discipline and it spreads to all areas of life.

Unpopular opinion; you just fucking stop. Binge eating is a loss of control. Learn better control. Build habits that contribute to discipline and it spreads to all areas of life.
I like this... everyone struggles with mental health issues sometimes.

Instead of eating bad foods to feel better... try reframing your mindset to get the same positive feelings from having a great workout.

Instead of eating bad foods to feel better... try reframing your mindset to get the same positive feelings from having a great workout.
I basically hate the place society is in where the idea that discipline being a learned and honed skill is frowned upon. It infects all areas of life and discussion. Discipline is a practice. We’re teaching everyone, starting as kids, that accountability to self isn’t important. The ability to have those mental lapses and understand it is an emotional response, to a rational stimulus or not, and AT WORST place your long term goals over short term satisfaction by minimizing how much you’re derailed by it or IDEALLY redirect that into positive behavior is a lethal skill to have.

You're right about discipline and control, but unfortunately not everyone is mentally strong enough to take that step on their own. Sometimes all it takes is a little push!

You're right about discipline and control, but unfortunately not everyone is mentally strong enough to take that step on their own. Sometimes all it takes is a little push!

Not everyone has it currently. Everyone is CAPABLE of having it. We shouldn’t be devising strategies to mitigate the impact of the act itself but strategizing on how to prevent it from happening again. Every undisciplined decision builds momentum in that direction, both emotionally and Chemically/physically in the brain. Same for disciplined action.

Binge eating disregards satiety, cravings, etc. More protein and veggies doesn’t keep people from it.

Last edited:
Great Post @Jayne Scott
I'm not sure of the first step being to see a professional therapist / psychologist. Here in North Europe, it's easily €150 per hour with an actual psychiatrist (not some therapist who's taken a few courses). 6 sessions adds quickly up to €1000 / $1000 and I can't justify spending that every time I have a behavioural issue. I'm not shooting down those who do go to psychiatrists, but I'll prioritise feeding and housing my family and schooling my children.

Every undisciplined decision builds momentum in that direction, both emotionally and Chemically/physically in the brain. Same for disciplined action.
I think you're spot on. My theory is that every time in life you're given a difficult decision, you condition yourself to follow similar decision next time. The difficult but right option vs avoiding the issue. Making the thought but right choice gets easier each time. Or condition yourself to being spineless.

I think you're spot on. My theory is that every time in life you're given a difficult decision, you condition yourself to follow similar decision next time. The difficult but right option vs avoiding the issue. Making the thought but right choice gets easier each time. Or condition yourself to being spineless.
Such decisions are always difficult to come by. But fidelity and correctness, or the notorious necessary, requires courage.