Humalog problems

rhinozt47

Hello all,

I’m looking for some input on what is going on with my body.

-5’8
-10ish BF
-training since 14? Experimenting with PEDS since 30.
-running test/deca 700/300
-training: lifting 4x, conditioning 4x weekly
-diet: 90% meat and rice

Anyway, I like to experiment for the fuck of it. I try my best to be responsible with things, but sometimes shit happens. This is my first time trying insulin. I’ve ran 5-10iu humalog with meals varying in size and go severely hypo every time. Yesterday was the worst ever; here’s how it went…

Trained in morning, normal day eating, maybe a little dehydrated. Home from work, shower, inject 5iu Humalog, eat a big bowl of chicken, rice, and avocado. Easily 75-100g carbs. Follow that up with a big bowl of ice cream (100+ carbs) because there is no way I’ll go hypo now.

Then boom, maybe 30 minutes later my heart rate is 140, I’m shaking uncontrollably, and it’s taking all my concentration not to pass out. Downed a shit ton of cereal and came back to earth about an hour later.

This is about the 5th iteration of this scenario since I started. Have used 5iu every time, save for 10 iu once and it was ugly also.

I’m done with insulin for now, it’s not critical to anything I’m doing. But the question remains, why the fuck would I be getting such a severe response from such a low dose? Anybody have any idea what’s going on physiologically?

Thank you all

This is the first I have heard of anybody going hypoglycemic on only 5 iu of insulin.

So you train, then you come home all depleted, take a shower, inject Humalog, then go eat chicken and rice and avocado, which is "easy 75- 100 grams of carbs". That is a difference of 33% from the low to the high end estimate. Maybe start tracking. How long between injecting insulin and actually stuffing rice down into your belly?

I was a preworkout user when I ran insulin. Get a meal, inject pre workout, sip shake with protein and carbs during workout (hope no puke on leg day). Keep extra stuff on hand as a just in case (sugary drinks, pineapple juice, gatorade, glucose tabs), but never really needed them even when doing 12-15 iu. Go home. Shower. Eat big meal of chicken and rice.

I experimented with insulin outside of pre workout before meals and such, but never really did much with it.

The only thing I could see from what you posted is that you did not really know how many carbs you were eating (like I said, track your macros) and maybe you waited too long from injecting while naked in the bathroom to actually getting downstairs with clothes on, preparing your food, and getting it into you belly where you body could make some glucose from it. So, two potential issues I see, but perhaps neither of them is the real issue.

But 5 iu? That's not much for all of the symptoms you describe.

This is the first I have heard of anybody going hypoglycemic on only 5 iu of insulin.

So you train, then you come home all depleted, take a shower, inject Humalog, then go eat chicken and rice and avocado, which is "easy 75- 100 grams of carbs". That is a difference of 33% from the low to the high end estimate. Maybe start tracking. How long between injecting insulin and actually stuffing rice down into your belly?

I was a preworkout user when I ran insulin. Get a meal, inject pre workout, sip shake with protein and carbs during workout (hope no puke on leg day). Keep extra stuff on hand as a just in case (sugary drinks, pineapple juice, gatorade, glucose tabs), but never really needed them even when doing 12-15 iu. Go home. Shower. Eat big meal of chicken and rice.

I experimented with insulin outside of pre workout before meals and such, but never really did much with it.

The only thing I could see from what you posted is that you did not really know how many carbs you were eating (like I said, track your macros) and maybe you waited too long from injecting while naked in the bathroom to actually getting downstairs with clothes on, preparing your food, and getting it into you belly where you body could make some glucose from it. So, two potential issues I see, but perhaps neither of them is the real issue.

But 5 iu? That's not much for all of the symptoms you describe.
I appreciate the input. It’s seems to be a timing issue from what I gather—either the insulin peaking too early or too late I don’t know.

It was most definitely 5iu. Funnily enough I assumed some degree of degradation from shipping.

Anyway, for clarity I am not running the stuff anymore. Was hoping like we all do that maybe I would respond well and see a jump in progress. But like I said, I’m not someone who NEEDS the stuff to take it up a notch.

I appreciate the input. It’s seems to be a timing issue from what I gather—either the insulin peaking too early or too late I don’t know.

It was most definitely 5iu. Funnily enough I assumed some degree of degradation from shipping.

Anyway, for clarity I am not running the stuff anymore. Was hoping like we all do that maybe I would respond well and see a jump in progress. But like I said, I’m not someone who NEEDS the stuff to take it up a notch.
Oh, it definitely makes a jump in progress.

But the timing issue seems to be your issue - coming home after workout, low blood sugar, fast acting insulin, you might need some small amount of fast acting carbs in addition to that later rice.

Oh, it definitely makes a jump in progress.

But the timing issue seems to be your issue - coming home after workout, low blood sugar, fast acting insulin, you might need some small amount of fast acting carbs in addition to that later rice.
its the fucking avocado but the guy doesnt want to listen
"i dont think its the avocado"
try it and youll see goddamn.
you are stubborn, every time someone tries to help you you either ignore them or say it isnt the case although you didnt even try.
close the topic, the guy doesnt want help

Hello all,

I’m looking for some input on what is going on with my body.

-5’8
-10ish BF
-training since 14? Experimenting with PEDS since 30.
-running test/deca 700/300
-training: lifting 4x, conditioning 4x weekly
-diet: 90% meat and rice

Anyway, I like to experiment for the fuck of it. I try my best to be responsible with things, but sometimes shit happens. This is my first time trying insulin. I’ve ran 5-10iu humalog with meals varying in size and go severely hypo every time. Yesterday was the worst ever; here’s how it went…

Trained in morning, normal day eating, maybe a little dehydrated. Home from work, shower, inject 5iu Humalog, eat a big bowl of chicken, rice, and avocado. Easily 75-100g carbs. Follow that up with a big bowl of ice cream (100+ carbs) because there is no way I’ll go hypo now.

Then boom, maybe 30 minutes later my heart rate is 140, I’m shaking uncontrollably, and it’s taking all my concentration not to pass out. Downed a shit ton of cereal and came back to earth about an hour later.

This is about the 5th iteration of this scenario since I started. Have used 5iu every time, save for 10 iu once and it was ugly also.

I’m done with insulin for now, it’s not critical to anything I’m doing. But the question remains, why the fuck would I be getting such a severe response from such a low dose? Anybody have any idea what’s going on physiologically?

Thank you all
Why use insulin ?
Did you measure your blood suger level ? (
If your level is okay, you do not need insulin.

you are stubborn, every time someone tries to help you you either ignore them or say it isnt the case although you didnt even try.
do you think think a little bit of fat in somebody's belly is going to stop sugar from being pumped into cells so much that you go hypo? That's not what's going on here, eating fat and slowing down carbs going in is a myth in practice as fat as I can tell.

What happened here is the exo and endo insulin pumping all of the carbs in too quickly, then later on there is still exo insulin being released and no more sugar in the blood and op goes hypo, this is why you have to sip on a shake/ice cream after the loading meal and shot.

do you think think a little bit of fat in somebody's belly is going to stop sugar from being pumped into cells so much that you go hypo? That's not what's going on here, eating fat and slowing down carbs going in is a myth in practice as fat as I can tell.

What happened here is the exo and endo insulin pumping all of the carbs in too quickly, then later on there is still exo insulin being released and no more sugar in the blood and op goes hypo, this is why you have to sip on a shake/ice cream after the loading meal and shot.
it is the avocado and yes, this "little bit of fat" (we are talking half an avocado) slows the release dramatically.
Do you even have experince with insulin? your second paragraph makes no sense. The quickest exo insulin peaks after 15-30min (fiasp 15, humalog and novorapid 30min).
and we are talking about 5iu.

I’m
I was being polite, but, he ignored my comment. He’s not stubborn, he’s obtuse. He doesn’t want the answer, he’s fishing for the answer he wants to hear.

it is the avocado and yes, this "little bit of fat" (we are talking half an avocado) slows the release dramatically.
Do you even have experince with insulin? your second paragraph makes no sense. The quickest exo insulin peaks after 15-30min (fiasp 15, humalog and novorapid 30min).
and we are talking about 5iu.
Bro, no

And yes, I've taken humalog in every type of way, in every amount, with every variation of macros. Not having any fat in you to sustain your bg during your workout also adds to going hypo. My second paragraph is simple and logical, and is correct. Obviously YOU have little experience with rapid insulin

Last edited:
Bro, no

And yes, I've taken humalog in every type of way, in every amount, with every variation of macros. Not having any fat in you to sustain your bg during your workout also adds to going hypo. My second paragraph is simple and logical, and is correct. Obviously YOU have little experience with rapid insulin
i have enough experience to never have gone hypo.
i have enough experience to use a glucometer and check different scenarios to see how different variables effect blood sugar levels.

to your second paragraph:
he is using 5iu of exo insulin and is eating 200g carbs with this shit.
Do you really wanne tell me his exo 5iu shot leads to hypo because there is not enough glucose in his bloodstream?
comeon, you cant be serious

Do you really wanne tell me his exo 5iu shot leads to hypo because there is not enough glucose in his bloodstream?
comeon, you cant be serious
Yes, exo-insulin is still being released during his workout while those preworkout carbs have already been removed from the blood stream. 5iu slin would send me hypo without an intra-shake no matter if I ate some fat or not preworkout. Some fat in your belly isn't going to slow down your digestion so much (if even noticeable at all, I never noticed it) that those carbs will be being held back undigested with slin clearing out the blood stream and dropping bg, if anything having a bunch of fat preworkout will help sustain bg throughout the workout. Those preworkout carbs are long-past pounded in and gone already.

No fat with preworkout insulin is bro-science along with the whole "taking X amount of carbs with X amount of insulin", sure X amount of carbs with X amount of insulin is fine as long as you consume and absorb those carbs at the same rate that the exo-insulin is being released into the bloodstream, and humalog is hitting for 3 hours, if you take in all the carbs at once you're going to tank bg later on.

This is my experience in practice, somebody fuck me up if I'm wrong. What experiences or evidence do you have for testing your bg during your workout with fat in your preworkout vs no fat in your preworkout to show that it's his reason for tanked bg?

If fat substantially slowed down the digestion of that many carbs, I'd think that it would KEEP him from going hypo with 200 carbs being absorbed closer to the same rate that humalog was being absorbed, instead of the big boom and crash that our bodies already do naturally without any exo-insulin.

Last edited:
So based on your experience you described you were just a few steps away from dying. You could have passed out with No one around to even know you need sugar NOW! Just stay away from insulin. Unless you get a system in place to monitor the hell out of your blood sugar. Glucose on hand always! If no one knows your having an extreme low sugar event you may die before the ambulance gets to you.
Or you can simply pass out and hit your head or something fun like that. This is how diabetics die.

Yes, exo-insulin is still being released during his workout while those preworkout carbs have already been removed from the blood stream. 5iu slin would send me hypo without an intra-shake no matter if I ate some fat or not preworkout. Some fat in your belly isn't going to slow down your digestion so much (if even noticeable at all, I never noticed it) that those carbs will be being held back undigested with slin clearing out the blood stream and dropping bg, if anything having a bunch of fat preworkout will help sustain bg throughout the workout. Those preworkout carbs are long-past pounded in and gone already.

No fat with preworkout insulin is bro-science along with the whole "taking X amount of carbs with X amount of insulin", sure X amount of carbs with X amount of insulin is fine as long as you consume and absorb those carbs at the same rate that the exo-insulin is being released into the bloodstream, and humalog is hitting for 3 hours, if you take in all the carbs at once you're going to tank bg later on.

This is my experience in practice, somebody fuck me up if I'm wrong. What experiences or evidence do you have for testing your bg during your workout with fat in your preworkout vs no fat in your preworkout to show that it's his reason for tanked bg?

If fat substantially slowed down the digestion of that many carbs, I'd think that it would KEEP him from going hypo with 200 carbs being absorbed closer to the same rate that humalog was being absorbed, instead of the big boom and crash that our bodies already do naturally without any exo-insulin.
sorry dude, you didnt even read his post.
He isnt taking his insulin pre workout.
He works out, goes home, shoots 5iu insulin and starts eating the 200g carb meal with fats and protein.
of course 5iu pre workout will send you hypo without an intra shake, this isnt even in question.
why should the fat keep him from going hypo?
lets say he shoots humalog which has an onset of 15min and a peak at 30min. He eats his meal and due to the fats which slows digestion it takes 60min for the glucose to be in his bloodstream.
so the exo insulin hits before the glucose is "ready" to be absorbed.

So based on your experience you described you were just a few steps away from dying. You could have passed out with No one around to even know you need sugar NOW! Just stay away from insulin. Unless you get a system in place to monitor the hell out of your blood sugar. Glucose on hand always! If no one knows your having an extreme low sugar event you may die before the ambulance gets to you.
Or you can simply pass out and hit your head or something fun like that. This is how diabetics die.
Thanks buddy. Wasn’t aware of any of this.

Yeah, I was going to point out the same thing. This is not pre workout. It is post workout, post shower. It is probably the most insulin sensitive time for the entire day, and the lowest blood glucose level for the entire day (but I repeat myself).

So lowest point of blood glucose for the entire day, and bam! injection of fast acting insulin.

Without some fast acting carbs to sip on, immediately, it is not really a surprise that he is feeling hypo, is it?

Getting some rice later (no real clue in this thread how much later) does not increase blood glucose levels quickly enough to keep him from feeling dizziness, and once that starts, it takes a while to get things aright again even if taking in simple sugar.

Back