Is exogenous insulin unhealthy compared to no slin use? Is it worth using?

Even the smallest dose of post workout humalog drives my blood pressure up by 10+ points for an hour and my heart rate 10+ higher as well. I'm know I'm not the only one. I've seen other dudes reporting this as well.

On top of that it seems to increase water retention by 5-10 lbs and only dieting or going off slin for a while can drop it.

So why use it?

I'm assuming it's causing some magical growth from increased IGF coupled with a small dose of GH. But I'm not even sure. If I go by "feelz" it certainly feels like increased recovery.

In diabetic rats, it seems to improve lipids and decrease atherosclerosis

After 8 weeks on HFD, ApoE−/− mice were subcutaneously implanted with control (sham) or insulin pellet, and phlorizin, a sodium glucose cotransporters inhibitor (1/2)inhibitor, for additional 8 weeks. Intraperitoneal glucose tolerance test showed that plasma glucose levels were lower and insulin and IGF-1 (insulin-like growth factor-1) levels were 5.3- and 3.3-fold higher, respectively, in insulin-implanted compared with sham-treated ApoE−/− mice. Plasma triglyceride, cholesterol, and lipoprotein levels were decreased in mice with insulin implant, in parallel with increased lipoprotein lipase activities.

But we're not rats, we're vain bodybuilders who take drugs to look better.

Does insulin have cardioprotective benefits in diabetics? It's unclear and even if it did, again, we're bodybuilders without insulin resistance
Despite promising experimental data and evidence of benefit from single-center randomized clinical trials, clinical evidence supporting the cardioprotective effects of insulin from a multicenter randomized clinical trial is still lacking.

All of this begs the question, does insulin drive more gains if you don't need it?

Some bodybuilders talk about a theoretical 800g of carbs per day limit which is the max a pancreas is able to handle. In that case, I could see it being useful for large off-season bodybuilders pushing 4000+ calories a day.

I know there's endless insulin in bodybuilding threads, I wanted to focus on the heart disease aspect of it, assuming there is any.

Last edited: