Material Compatibility: Using the right filter material for brewing

AlphaEdge

Came across a small discussion on materials to use for filtering
(Thanks Laxbro88 Jurgen)

Instead of letting this info get lost into the depths of a 1450+ page long (and counting thread), I thought it would be a good idea to create an individual thread for this.
Material compatibility is pretty important in brewing if you want to ensure that your end product is safe and free of unwanted materials.
The most popular 0.22um syringe filter on Amazon uses PES which is incompatible with BB

Membrane Filter Chemical Compatibility Chart
According to this there is little reason to use anything other than PTFE materials to filter your solvent laden brews.
Nylon seems compatible as well with BA/BB but does not seem as widely compatible as PTFE with other stuff.

Hopefully this would help you reconsider the materials you use in all steps of your brewing process.
Nobody wants to inject plastic.
Cheers.

Depends on % of solvents and volume of brew.

Even PES filter will work for 50ml brew on 1/10 ba/bb. Incompatibility is for filtering pure or high % ba or bb.

If PTFE is available, choose that, then PVDF/Nylon and last option is PES. But PES doesn't mean you can use it in a pinch

I have a hard time finding 500ml .22 ptfe bottle top filters. If I do find them they are by the case. I don’t need but maybe two a year.

Nylon and PTFE have been scarce lately for me as well. Pes is everywhere, cases are dirt cheap on eBay.