My proof of concept for vaccume filtering

You can sterilize the gl45 glassware and silicone stoper, converting the gl45 receiver as a giant sterile vial. Use a long ass needle to transfer the filtered gear to smaller presterilized vials.
fucking hell, i am so embarassed. I spent days and days looking to find this exact thing but the only stoppers i could find were from a pharma company, ill link pic below.
Thanks so much Narta you are a gentleman and a scholar.
Would you mind linking the bottle top filters you use? Also what kind of needle do you use to draw from the bottom of big ass GL45 bottles :p

1725615756085.png

fucking hell, i am so embarassed. I spent days and days looking to find this exact thing but the only stoppers i could find were from a pharma company, ill link pic below.
Thanks so much Narta you are a gentleman and a scholar.
Would you mind linking the bottle top filters you use? Also what kind of needle do you use to draw from the bottom of big ass GL45 bottles :p

View attachment 294758
I don't use bottletops but anything reputable that has a gl45 neck would do. Opt for PTFE hydrophilic with PVDF being a second option. .22microns

As for needles you don't need long ones, just think that the gl45 with the septa is a big ass vial, so just flip and draw :D

There are long needles but usually they need sterilization between each batch and it's a pita. Search for 100mm dispensing needles

Last edited:

You can sterilize the gl45 glassware and silicone stoper, converting the gl45 receiver as a giant sterile vial. Use a long ass needle to transfer the filtered gear to smaller presterilized vials.
I can get it all pre sterilized here in Germany right from the manufacturer. But to my understanding if I take the bottle top filter off the glass bottle and put the pre sterilized silicone stopper on it there is a small risk of contamination by not using a flow hood, right? Like some unfiltered air is going in during the 2-3 seconds of changing the bottle top filter to a silicone stopper.

Thats the actual reason I am still using vials and syringe filters as I have no place to hide a flow hood this size anywhere, my son will find it and I honestly can not tell if its a risk or not to do it without a flow hood.

I can get it all pre sterilized here in Germany right from the manufacturer. But to my understanding if I take the bottle top filter off the glass bottle and put the pre sterilized silicone stopper on it there is a small risk of contamination by not using a flow hood, right? Like some unfiltered air is going in during the 2-3 seconds of changing the bottle top filter to a silicone stopper.

Thats the actual reason I am still using vials and syringe filters as I have no place to hide a flow hood this size anywhere, my son will find it and I honestly can not tell if its a risk or not to do it without a flow hood.
I am happy enough to take the chance of a tiny bit of unsterile air getting into the bottle tbh.
You could always mist the air around the bottle top with isopropal alcohol a few seconds before opening for peace of mind?