My Caulking gun method

would this setup also work with castor oil? or would the thicker oil mean too much pressure, tearing the filter disks?

@Spaceman Spiff, might I also receive that pm about the IV with the lock?
Thank you!

This is one of the better ideas I’ve seen in awhile. Going to have to order those filters and give it a shot. I’m tired of sitting there forever squeeze, hold for 10 minutes, over and over again. You’re a god send @Spaceman Spiff Now, I just Need to a find a good new raw source.

I utilize IV extension tubing to allow it to lay on its side so I dont have to hold up the stupid gun.
Dude this is one of those life hacks that is simply genius. Here I am holding the syringe over the vial for hours trying not to knock it over or get a cramp and drop it.

I did this at first but soon went bottle top with a vacuum pump.. kits are fairly cheap and they work really good. But if your not doing more then say 100ml maybe it's not worth it. Also I'm sure you have seen the bottle top fillers? Mine was expensive but between the bottle top filter and the filler it made the whole experience so much better. I didn't buy them all at once but my heated magnetic stirrer, bottle tops filters, and bottle top filler probably invested total of $600-$700 ish..
I seen your other posts your doing great man. Enjoy.

I did this at first but soon went bottle top with a vacuum pump.. kits are fairly cheap and they work really good. But if your not doing more then say 100ml maybe it's not worth it. Also I'm sure you have seen the bottle top fillers? Mine was expensive but between the bottle top filter and the filler it made the whole experience so much better. I didn't buy them all at once but my heated magnetic stirrer, bottle tops filters, and bottle top filler probably invested total of $600-$700 ish..
I seen your other posts your doing great man. Enjoy.
I would rather keep it a closed system. I don't have a flow hood, and I don't have an autoclave

I would rather keep it a closed system. I don't have a flow hood, and I don't have an autoclave
I was worried at first ..when I go from filter to filler there's small air exposure.. and then filling vials there's also small exposure. It's not perfect but I accept it because it's just for myself. Flow hood is on the wish list.
The filler can be flushed/cleaned by running an alcohol solution through it if I remember what the book said but I have a friend who works in a college lab ..he takes it and sterilizes it for me. I receive it back in a sealed package kinda like my sterilized filter tops.
I'm at a point where going any bigger would be pointless. Already it's more then nessacary.. I just got tired of the syringe filters.

I've seen 2 really elaborate closed systems that went right from filter to vial .. larger scale obviously but seeing how it operates was beautiful.
I brew originally for control and costs. Now it's that but it's a weird love/peace I have when im brewing for myself. It's fun to learn

Awesome I really like the clear tubing that’s a great idea where can I order?
I just ordered mine yesterday on Amazon. They are "IV extension tubes" they are usually 7" long and have male/female luer lock ends. They have single units for like $4, and 10 packs for like $30. You can also chain them together to make longer extensions if needed.

I just ordered mine yesterday on Amazon. They are "IV extension tubes" they are usually 7" long and have male/female luer lock ends. They have single units for like $4, and 10 packs for like $30. You can also chain them together to make longer extensions if needed.
Make sure you are buying them sterile. I've noticed most don't even say they are sterile...even though you'd think all are. You cannot assume

I've been using iv starters. 21g butterfly with a luer lock on the end of a 4in tube. Made by BD and sterile

Make sure you are buying them sterile. I've noticed most don't even say they are sterile...even though you'd think all are. You cannot assume

I've been using iv starters. 21g butterfly with a luer lock on the end of a 4in tube. Made by BD and sterile
cool! do you have a link for me?

This is great. Thank you for posting!!! Can you send me the link for the Caulk Gun and the IV tubing.

Thank you!

Sponsors

Latest posts