My sterilization process for used media bottles or new ones.

I do not reuse vials.

However I could, I just find the cleaning process of trying to get old oil out very tedious.

1. Clean all glassware in sink with hot water and lots of quality dish sop. WHY? U want all the old oils completely cleaned off and anything else. Sunlight is great for this.

-Use quality bottle brush with foam end, and clean dish cloth for outside of bottle cleaning. WHY? Bristles will not do a good job, you need a sponge and lots of soap to remove oils from the inside of bottles.

2. Rinse very well.

At this point u could choose to place everything in zip lock bags to finish the sterilization process later. If items have lids, put them on and toss in zip lock bags. WHY? Maybe ur in a rush or wish to sterilize later...

Or continue on.

Time to put on medical gloves. I use medical gloves starting now until the end. I go through a lot.

3. Fill large bowl with highest consideration isopropyl alcohol. 91% or better. Wallmart

4. fill another 2 large bowls with distilled water. This will be for your rinsing phase.

5. Begin rinsing all glassware through isopropyl alcohol . If u can cover the top, shake well. Dump out and fill again and shake well again. I also let it soak in the ISO for a short time before agitating it.

6. After Iso rinse, place in first bowl of Distilled water. Rinse well. Don’t let to much ISO get into ur 1st Distilled bowl. You will notice the water looks slimy due to the ISO, give it a few swishes and then place into the 2nd Distilled bath.

NOTE:

Depending on how much you are sterilizing, you may want to toss the 1st bowl and make ur 2nd bowl your 1st distilled wash station and fill another new bowl with fresh distilled water, making a new 2nd distilled rinse station.

7. Rinse well in 2nd bowl of distilled water. Once you move from the ISO to distilled water you will NOT use regular water to rinse. Only clean distilled water in a clean bowl. You should notice that the water on the glassware looks normal now.

8. Place glass into autoclave or, as I use, a large pressure cooker. I set the pressure cooker to steam for 45 to 60 minutes.

9. once finished in the pressure cooker, let cool.

10. Pull biostatic glassware out of pressure cooker and immediately cover all openings with clean tinfoil.

11. Heat oven to 500 degrees Fahrenheit.

12. Poke holes in the tops of tin foil when you are ready to go into oven. WHY? U want the moisture to escape, but don't want any dirt or particles getting into ur glass.

13. make sure your glassware is biostatic glassware. Place in oven for one hour.

NOTE!

DO NOT PUT ANYTHING THAT HAD isopropyl alcohol in it, into your oven, you will blow up ur oven or house... you’ve been warned. It must be rinsed well first.

14. pull out, let cool and inspect. Make sure it looks clean and free of any moisture, oil, dirt or dust.

15. This is the magic, if your not using the glass right away, use a food saver thing to vacuum seal everything for future use. If u get the lids on your bottles at the right temperature, you can create a vacuum seal due to the temperature lowering and air cooling. I still vacuum seal my bottles even when I have a lid on them.

END

I also do this with vials. 7

Ill have the rubber stoppers pre sterilized using the same process minus the oven heat.

As soon as the vials are cooled enough to grab I’ll slap on the rubber stopper and vacuum seal all of the vials with the rubber stopper on them.

Sterilization process of butyl rubber stopper, plastic lids and magnetic stirrer’s.

Follow steps 1 through 9.

- 10 - After you let it cool from the pressure cooker. Toss it all into some tin foil and loosely wrap it up. Not to tight as you want moisture to escape but u don't want contaminants to float in.

- 11 - Toss in air fryer at 100F to 150F MAX, for an hour or until everything is completely dry. If ur unsure, toss in to another 30 minutes.

Rubber stoppers can handle somewhere up to 250F but the plastic lids that screw on to ur biostatic glassware are only good up to 150F I use the air fryer because my oven gets to hot at the lowest setting and melts plastic.

Supplies.

biostatic glassware WHY? it’s meant to handle extreme heat, like 500C to 800 C or 932F to 1472F. Enough heat to kill anything that's left and dry your glass. WHY do I need to dry? Any moisture can fuck with your gear and make it look funky.

Quality dish soap

large clean bowls

Oven that can hit 500F

isopropyl alcohol 91% or better.

Pressure cooker or autoclave.

Tin Foil

Quality bottle brush with some sort of sponge on the end.

Distilled Water.

medical gloves

I have gotten good at multitasking and can have everything sterilized and vacuum sealed in a few hours. But once its done and vacuum sealed, you can leave it be and focus on the brew when u decide to start that process. Having backup sterilized clean glassware is really handy when shit goes south and u need it on hand right away.

Set yourself up for success, just like meal planning, meal timing and everything else you should be doing, this is no exception.

287931459_727130658409776_207688017762921596_n (1).jpg some finished TrenE, a test batch

What’s the point of putting foil on after the autoclaving? Normal sterilisation procedure is to put foil over the openings before autoclaving your media. You also would have steam able to exit and enter, foil is not air tight, and minimise moisture collecting in the glassware.
Because foil isn’t air tight you usually want to open/remove sterile media under laminar flow hood.
Have you ever read a medical/lab guide for sterilisation? if you haven’t they are easy to find.

What’s the point of putting foil on after the autoclaving? Normal sterilisation procedure is to put foil over the openings before autoclaving your media. You also would have steam able to exit and enter, foil is not air tight, and minimise moisture collecting in the glassware.
Because foil isn’t air tight you usually want to open/remove sterile media under laminar flow hood.
Have you ever read a medical/lab guide for sterilisation? if you haven’t they are easy to find.
The point is to simply cover the opening when brining from the pressure cooker to the oven so nothing gets in. Then before placing in the oven you poke small holes.with toothpicks.

The point is to simply cover the opening when brining from the pressure cooker to the oven so nothing gets in. Then before placing in the oven you poke small holes.with toothpicks.
That makes sense, I’m just saying you can do that before pressure cooking to reduce the amount of condensation (From pressure cookers) and contamination (while moving it). Poking with toothpicks is a way to introduce contamination, ideally you don’t want anything giving over the opening that isn’t sterile after pressure cooking has been completed, because your process has a couple of mistakes like Gooper said, and if you do it’s not really sterile procedure.

That makes sense, I’m just saying you can do that before pressure cooking to reduce the amount of condensation (From pressure cookers) and contamination (while moving it). Poking with toothpicks is a way to introduce contamination, ideally you don’t want anything giving over the opening that isn’t sterile after pressure cooking has been completed, because your process has a couple of mistakes like Gooper said, and if you do it’s not really sterile procedure.
Ahhh good point

My sterilization process for used media bottles or new ones.

I do not reuse vials.

However I could, I just find the cleaning process of trying to get old oil out very tedious.

1. Clean all glassware in sink with hot water and lots of quality dish sop. WHY? U want all the old oils completely cleaned off and anything else. Sunlight is great for this.

-Use quality bottle brush with foam end, and clean dish cloth for outside of bottle cleaning. WHY? Bristles will not do a good job, you need a sponge and lots of soap to remove oils from the inside of bottles.

2. Rinse very well.

At this point u could choose to place everything in zip lock bags to finish the sterilization process later. If items have lids, put them on and toss in zip lock bags. WHY? Maybe ur in a rush or wish to sterilize later...

Or continue on.

Time to put on medical gloves. I use medical gloves starting now until the end. I go through a lot.

3. Fill large bowl with highest consideration isopropyl alcohol. 91% or better. Wallmart

4. fill another 2 large bowls with distilled water. This will be for your rinsing phase.

5. Begin rinsing all glassware through isopropyl alcohol . If u can cover the top, shake well. Dump out and fill again and shake well again. I also let it soak in the ISO for a short time before agitating it.

6. After Iso rinse, place in first bowl of Distilled water. Rinse well. Don’t let to much ISO get into ur 1st Distilled bowl. You will notice the water looks slimy due to the ISO, give it a few swishes and then place into the 2nd Distilled bath.

NOTE:

Depending on how much you are sterilizing, you may want to toss the 1st bowl and make ur 2nd bowl your 1st distilled wash station and fill another new bowl with fresh distilled water, making a new 2nd distilled rinse station.

7. Rinse well in 2nd bowl of distilled water. Once you move from the ISO to distilled water you will NOT use regular water to rinse. Only clean distilled water in a clean bowl. You should notice that the water on the glassware looks normal now.

8. Place glass into autoclave or, as I use, a large pressure cooker. I set the pressure cooker to steam for 45 to 60 minutes.

9. once finished in the pressure cooker, let cool.

10. Pull biostatic glassware out of pressure cooker and immediately cover all openings with clean tinfoil.

11. Heat oven to 500 degrees Fahrenheit.

12. Poke holes in the tops of tin foil when you are ready to go into oven. WHY? U want the moisture to escape, but don't want any dirt or particles getting into ur glass.

13. make sure your glassware is biostatic glassware. Place in oven for one hour.

NOTE!

DO NOT PUT ANYTHING THAT HAD isopropyl alcohol in it, into your oven, you will blow up ur oven or house... you’ve been warned. It must be rinsed well first.

14. pull out, let cool and inspect. Make sure it looks clean and free of any moisture, oil, dirt or dust.

15. This is the magic, if your not using the glass right away, use a food saver thing to vacuum seal everything for future use. If u get the lids on your bottles at the right temperature, you can create a vacuum seal due to the temperature lowering and air cooling. I still vacuum seal my bottles even when I have a lid on them.

END

I also do this with vials. 7

Ill have the rubber stoppers pre sterilized using the same process minus the oven heat.

As soon as the vials are cooled enough to grab I’ll slap on the rubber stopper and vacuum seal all of the vials with the rubber stopper on them.

Sterilization process of butyl rubber stopper, plastic lids and magnetic stirrer’s.

Follow steps 1 through 9.

- 10 - After you let it cool from the pressure cooker. Toss it all into some tin foil and loosely wrap it up. Not to tight as you want moisture to escape but u don't want contaminants to float in.

- 11 - Toss in air fryer at 100F to 150F MAX, for an hour or until everything is completely dry. If ur unsure, toss in to another 30 minutes.

Rubber stoppers can handle somewhere up to 250F but the plastic lids that screw on to ur biostatic glassware are only good up to 150F I use the air fryer because my oven gets to hot at the lowest setting and melts plastic.

Supplies.

biostatic glassware WHY? it’s meant to handle extreme heat, like 500C to 800 C or 932F to 1472F. Enough heat to kill anything that's left and dry your glass. WHY do I need to dry? Any moisture can fuck with your gear and make it look funky.

Quality dish soap

large clean bowls

Oven that can hit 500F

isopropyl alcohol 91% or better.

Pressure cooker or autoclave.

Tin Foil

Quality bottle brush with some sort of sponge on the end.

Distilled Water.

medical gloves

I have gotten good at multitasking and can have everything sterilized and vacuum sealed in a few hours. But once its done and vacuum sealed, you can leave it be and focus on the brew when u decide to start that process. Having backup sterilized clean glassware is really handy when shit goes south and u need it on hand right away.

Set yourself up for success, just like meal planning, meal timing and everything else you should be doing, this is no exception.

View attachment 168358 some finished TrenE, a test batch
You killed it, reading that got me all jacked up and ready to sterilize some shit!! Good job bro bro

Your process looks good bro but slightly excessive and unnecessary in some stages and very time consuming.

As for your stage 12....at this stage you could simply line the base of the tray with alcohol swabbed/sterilised foil and put all the vials in upside down instead of covering each vial with a bit of foil and poking holes in the top of each one.

Evaporation of all moisture will still occur and cooling will be easier/safer too with the vials upside down.

Butyl rubber Can handle the pressure cooker or autoclave? Which temperature does your pressure cooker reach?

Absolutely yes!

Sterilization occurs at 121 degrees celsius with presser of 15psi for roughly 30-60 minutes, but 125 degrees celsius at 17psi is best imho!

Butyl rubber Can handle the pressure cooker or autoclave? Which temperature does your pressure cooker reach?
Ya I just looked up the max temperature the rubber stoppers could handle and made sure I didn't go over that. They can handle quite a bit if I remember correctly. Pretty sure they can handle more than the Pyrex plastic bottle caps. Those caps say right on the top that they can handle a max temp of 150 Celsius. So when I go through my process I just don't go over 150C for the temperature sensitive items.

As someone already stated, poking a hole into the foil COMPLETELY defeats the sterilization process.

This is the issue with some of you guys who “brew & sell”, is you don’t know any basic biology.

FB9C2B0F-4173-4C62-8FB9-05422FB5845C.png

So unless you’re poking a hole smaller than a white blood cell, you’re injecting your oven envionrnment. Even if you don’t “see floaters”, doesn’t mean it’s not contaminated.
I don’t care if you don’t use that oven for anything other than vials, it’s still not a controlled sterile environment. Discard every batch you’ve made with that process, or don’t. ‍♀️

Due to my mycology background I will add one little hack to your process

Get mushroom spawn bags , load all vials into one or however many you need
Rubber stoppers in there own , and any other stuff you wana sterilize

Fold the bags around and PC as normal

All items in each bag will be completely sterile and you won’t have to worry about moisture sneeking in

Just my tip

All items in each bag will be completely sterile and you won’t have to worry about moisture sneeking in

Just my tip
OK OK wow. Let me do my research. This could e amazing.

Just my tip
OK so how does the spawn bag In a pressure cooker get rid of the moisture from my previous process of washing everything?

Because I wash with soap. Then isopropyl alcohol and then distilled water.

How would putting these wet vis and such, in the mushroom bags get rid of the moisture in a pressure cooker?

why is anyone using a pressure cooker for this? I don't understand. get rid of the pressure cooker. take off the gloves. you don't need to do any of this sh*t I do not understand remotely why anyone is doing this...

for STERILE or clean as possible gear is why lol.. stop trolling when have NO IDEA about sterile techniques.

I would say try and stay away from holes in tinfoil as unsterile air will enter esp with convection in the oven. BEST would be to dry, THAN PC covered in foil inside a bag to keep steam off the viles(no you dont need steam to touch the entire inside of vials, PC reaches same temp may take an extra 5 min is all unless packed with high mass items like jams meats and use a short cycle, but as long as not overpacked its not an issue, think crowding a deep fryer, takes longer but eventually all will reach temp) as once finished in PC its 99.99999% sterile, when u put in oven its no longer sterile so taking a step backwards.

If need to dry dry inside a STILL AIR box that has been sanitized keeping openings downwards, cover vents in the room and want as little air movement as possible. ideally infront of flow hood.

The issue I think steam from folks trying to use a home oven as a laboratory oven/autoclave its not that and doesn't work the same as ovens bring in outside air. but really PC is all you need to make sterile and can put everything in bags after cover in foil and no issue with moisture. or even just cover dried viles in foil and place in large canning jars and will remain sterile until open the jar.

If dont have a flow hood all transfers should be inside a still air box as described if want cleanest possible vials. no matter how much lysol u spray in the air always crap/germs raining down. really not much harder and gives that extra layer of protection to have stuff uber clean.

the oven thing just adds a step for vials to get dirty and offers nothing in the way of sterility, although pre PC could be used to "burn off" oils but other than that oven is not sterile as moves fresh air constantly. PC is working as an autoclave and thats all dentists or surgeons use for a reason.

EDIT
sorry see some people already addressed some of the stuff I said, but ya to answer your question dry first than put in PC ;) could cover in loose foil to keep chunks and dust getting in your vials and use oven but taking extra time and have upside-down on a rack inside a still air box would be best. obv clean everything and all sides of the box/rack just to keep dust debris down and everything will get zapped in PC. you dont need spawn bags although are nice, turkey bags will work aswell but less robust and usually more money esp buying local or simply use clean canning jars and cover the tops with foil to prevent any chance water or condensation from getting on the lid. you potentially could vac seal the viles aswell the plastic of foodsaver should be heat resistant enough IIRC but double check that and prob more money than spawn bags or jars too.

Last edited:
So I know that when someone says something that defies a belief that you hold or flies in the face of something that you are a practitioner of that people naturally project their anger outward. I mean if you actually do this then you are heavily invested in this process and it would be at a high cost to you personally to admit otherwise. I get it. But this isn't for you specifically but rather for posterity.

For synthetic anabolic steroids to prepared in an oil depot for injection, as long as you filter to .22 microns and use a bacteriostatic agent, you do not need to do anything else to achieve a safe injectable product. Nothing else that you do will make any difference beyond what 1. filtering to .22 microns and 2. using a bacteriostatic agent will do.

you know how they have those things where you can take sh*t water and make it drinkable? that's how they do it. in fact you could take sh*t water and filter it to .22 microns and then inject it into your goddamn vein and you will be fine.