• ATTENTION New Members: Please take a few moments to introduce yourself, show your commitment to harm reduction, and chat with the community in the "New Member Introduction" subforum. This will help unlock access to additional forum features and privileges.

Oldschool’s Old Man Training Thread

Oldschool

A thread for older members who have been there and done that. Members that have been through the changes that come with age. The alterations in gear use/doses. The changes in training(reps, weight moved, frequency). Injuries and how to train around them. Etc. Etc. Etc.
Younger members welcome of course but looking forward to reading and learning about older members experiences in regards to changes made in this lifestyle(good and bad).

For me, I have been back to the lifestyle for 4 years after a 12 year layoff. The biggest issue I have is the old joints. My muscle says go go go, the joints say no no no. I have to limit how heavy I can push based off how my joints feel that particular day. I have always been a Deca guy, when I was younger I liked the mass and strength from it. Now I like it mostly for the feel good joint effect. It’s nice to be able to push hard,and set new PR’s without the aching joints. To me, that is the biggest challenge “so far” . Of coarse the problem is- can’t run Deca year round. That’s when I focus more on volume and pump. I vary between power, and volume workouts throughout the year.

Same here. After my last injury(bicep blow out) I started from scratch. Literally started with 5 pound dumbbells. I would do high reps for the week. Next week move to ten pounders. So on and so forth. Found out it was very friendly with my other aches and pains. Humbling but after a few months I was feeling pretty good. Old shoulder injury wasn’t hurting much at all. Felt good all around. Training three days a week to allow for recovery. Starting to incorporate resistance bands into my training. Really changes things up. The tension at peak contraction is amazing. What does your typical blast consist of?

Same here. After my last injury(bicep blow out) I started from scratch. Literally started with 5 pound dumbbells. I would do high reps for the week. Next week move to ten pounders. So on and so forth. Found out it was very friendly with my other aches and pains. Humbling but after a few months I was feeling pretty good. Old shoulder injury wasn’t hurting much at all. Felt good all around. Training three days a week to allow for recovery. Starting to incorporate resistance bands into my training. Really changes things up. The tension at peak contraction is amazing. What does your typical blast consist of?
As far as blasts, i am still experimenting with compounds that I haven’t used sence I was in my 20’s and 30’s, and some that I have never tried before. I just finished a summer blast with 650 test- 400 mastE and 25mg oral winstrol pwo. Ran the winstrol last 50 days. First time running mast. I liked it, the winstrol was hard on my joints though, I won’t run win again. Loved it when I was younger, just too dry now. Mast was great, good feel to it, I actually gained weight lol. That feel good effect made me hungry as hell. I plan on running mast again probably stacked with npp. Typically I stick to Deca in the 400 to 600 mg range, and raise test up to the 500 to 750 range, usually an oral on the tail end, low dose Dbol or Adrol. That’s my typical blast. I still want to try a trenA run again, and a few others ( superdrol- primo- tbol- exc.

Well I'm only 35, but my regimin has changed a lot already. My blasts are much shorter now with short esters only. The max I'll go is 8 weeks. Orals are pretty much completely out except maybe a little anavar preworkout here and there. They're just too hard on my blood pressure. I'm concerned much more about my cardiovascular health now too. My consistent supps are ubiquinol, circumin, K2 m-7 with vit D, and Liv-52.

Just started a 6 week blast today to bump the cutting along. 600mg test, 300 mast p, 200 tren a, bump GH up to 4iu daily. I'll never go above probably 350 tren ever again and won't run it for too long.

Total amount of gear probably a bit higher than right now, but not by much. It just makes me feel crappy when I go to high or too long on anything.

It's just not worth it to me anymore. I'd rather stay in top shape health wise and be there for the kids/grandkids. I don't have the genetics to be a good bodybuilder, so there's no point.

As far as training, I'm still pushing hard but the lower rep pressing is out. No less than 8 reps so my shoulders and joints don't get hurt. Only one progressive overload exercise per body part each week, except back where I do one rowing one and one pulldown. Basically a Mountaindog style. Seems like I respond best to DC rest pause style of overload but can't handle too much overload volume. The rest is metabolic/pump work to get the nutrients where they need to go.

Right now I'm doing a heavy pull/heavy push/off/legs/off/upper pump/off split and it seems to be working really well. The knee can't handle multiple leg days each week so only a single higher volume MD style leg day. Plenty of warmup before the heavy sets.

Gotta keep it manageable so I can have some longevity in doing this stuff. Otherwise I'll be in a wheelchair in 10 years

Let me tell you about being older.....

Effing had a camera shoved up my ass today.

I know oldschool was asking training but damit man I was not ready for that this morning.

Welcome to getting old fellas

I know oldschool was asking training but damit man I was not ready for that this morning.

I feel ya man, I just got the shingles vaccine today lol. I’m sure I will have the camera in my ass soon too :(

Ugh yeah I had one last year. They got me all spun on fentanyl and propofol. Then I kept waking up and trying to talk while they were doing it. Then I went home, felt great, so I decided to burn my burn pile. That lasted about 10 minutes because it was raining, then I got sick and puked all over the back lawn. Then the chickens ate it.

It was an eventful day to say the least

All things “old” welcome here. All part of it. I’m in line for these things shortly. Lived my life like every day was my last only to live longer than I expected. Lol. Now I have five kids that depend on me so time to tighten things up a bit. Hope tomorrow is less “intrusive” for you. :D

Congrats @Oldschool , we"ve needed a "older weightlifter" thread here ; now I dont have to start one ! ;)
Goodluck and I"ll be dropping advice here for sure . Just turned 60 and my lifts are still improving...WFL (Weightlifter For Life) ~Ogh :D

Ugh yeah I had one last year. They got me all spun on fentanyl and propofol. Then I kept waking up and trying to talk while they were doing it. Then I went home, felt great, so I decided to burn my burn pile. That lasted about 10 minutes because it was raining, then I got sick and puked all over the back lawn. Then the chickens ate it.

Wtf lol

I mean damn dude, this seriously had me lol.
Still laughing, not in a disrespectful way but damn

The chickens, man i am effing dying here

I mean damn dude, this seriously had me lol.
Still laughing, not in a disrespectful way but damn
The chickens, man i am effing dying here
Haha dude it was ridiculous. I thought I was totally fine, my fiancee knew I was fucked up but I'm stubborn as shit so she just let me do it lol. I had eaten homemade chicken noodle soup too. Puked it all over the lawn and about 10 of them ran over and ate it all. They're disgusting little animals lol

I was so fucked up after that lol

Thought I would share what I have been doing in regards to lifting and gear. I have really been enjoying it. I like to blast for a max of eight weeks. Sometimes six. After taking off for however long I usually start my blast by taking a week to knock the rust off so to speak. I will pick a lift or two per day and assess my strength to get a starting weight for each lift I plan on using. Then the fun starts.

Everything happens on Monday,Wednesday and Friday. Workouts and pinning.
Currently using Test Cyp, Test P, Anadrol and gh.
Currently running test cyp brewed at 250 and prop at 150. I will pin 125 cyp, 75 prop and take 50 mgs anadrol M,W,F about an hour or so before I workout.
Before bed on M,W,F I will take 50 mgs anadrol and pin 4 ius gh.

Training is based off of the Greyskull LP program with a few change ups.
Monday’s workout would consist of two main exercises and two to three accessories. Monday’s big lifts are military press and Squat.
Add accessories as I see fit.
Wednesday is Bench and deadlift with a few accessories.
Friday is press and squat. Same with accessories. Following week stays the same but two days of bench and deadlifts and one day of press and squat. Then back to two days of press and squat and one day of bench and dead’s.
I build up slowly with lots of warm up sets to my working weight. Then hit two sets of a chosen rep range. Usually 6-10. Then hit the working weight to failure. I keep good track of my weight and reps to make sure the next workout I am doing either more weight or more reps with the same weight. The days off really help keep the nagging injuries at bay. Sometimes I will do this type training for 4 weeks and then hit the Creeping Death plan for 4 weeks to up the intensity a bit and use the new strength to eek out some more progress. Look forward to seeing what some other guys do.

A thread for older members who have been there and done that. Members that have been through the changes that come with age. The alterations in gear use/doses. The changes in training(reps, weight moved, frequency). Injuries and how to train around them. Etc. Etc. Etc.
Younger members welcome of course but looking forward to reading and learning about older members experiences in regards to changes made in this lifestyle(good and bad).

The older I get, the more I respect my rear delts. They're not a popular muscle to train because they don't make you look huge at the beach, but since I've started training them hard, my shoulder issue has improved probably 90%. The amount of stabilization that they provide can't be overlooked as an older lifter.

I've also dropped a lot of my low-rep work from certain lifts (bench and squat, mostly) and incorporated a lot of high-rep, rest-pause stuff.

Ultimately, I think that as you get deeper and deeper into "old fucker" territory, the more important exercise selection becomes. At 25, you can basically just slam heavy weights around and get huge. At a certain point, you have to strike a balance between killing it at the gym and not killing yourself at the gym.

The older I get, the more I respect my rear delts. They're not a popular muscle to train because they don't make you look huge at the beach, but since I've started training them hard, my shoulder issue has improved probably 90%. The amount of stabilization that they provide can't be overlooked as an older lifter.

I've also dropped a lot of my low-rep work from certain lifts (bench and squat, mostly) and incorporated a lot of high-rep, rest-pause stuff.

Ultimately, I think that as you get deeper and deeper into "old fucker" territory, the more important exercise selection becomes. At 25, you can basically just slam heavy weights around and get huge. At a certain point, you have to strike a balance between killing it at the gym and not killing yourself at the gym.

Can’t live without this for shoulders. Do this before every pressing workout.
Oops. Here it is.