Oral Steroid and Cholesterol

Most androgens in general will have a negative effect to some degree for most guys. Cholesterol is absorbed in the stomach and made in the liver, so I’m assuming there’s an up regulation of an enzyme in the liver. Maybe @Type-IIx or someone knowledgeable and articulate can chime in.

Reactions: T&H
Anabolic steroids stimulate the activity of HTGL, an enzyme that facilities catabolism of HDL [2] and produces significant decreases of HDL-C and Apo-A-I concentrations [11,12].

With respect to lowering HDL-C, this ↓ is caused by an ↑ hepatic triglyceride lipase activity (HTGLA). Hepatic lipase (HL) is a liver-secreted enzyme that liberates FAs from lipoprotein constitutents (e.g., including HDL), therefort this induces a shift towards breakdown ∴ reduced HDL.

The 17AAs, because they are either nonaromatizable or resistant to aromatization and thus lack estrogen benefits to lipids (estrogens ↓HTGLA), and because they are metabolized primarily in liver, having greater effects on hepatic proteins (e.g., HL), are worse than parenteral androgens (especially T).

With respect to increasing LDL, 17AAs may ↑Apo B in particular, which is associated with VLDL & gives insight into LDL actually in bloodstream circulation, perhaps by ↑ liver secretion of these lipoproteins directly.

Thanks for the reply. On the topic of lipids, what effect do androgens have on LP(a)? I heard that exogenous hormones may actually be suppressive to that specific lipoprotein.

Thanks for the reply. On the topic of lipids, what effect do androgens have on LP(a)? I heard that exogenous hormones may actually be suppressive to that specific lipoprotein.
Yes, that appears to be the case, but the clinical relevance (whether that results in any reduction to CVD risk) is unknown.

Here is a great Table summarizing the effects of AAS (17AAs & i.m.) on lipoproteins and cholesterol efflux capacity (CEC) associated with CVD risk. I urge you to read this great paper of his: [link] for more information about your questions in this thread.

AAS-17AA-parenteral-effects-on-lipoproteins-cholesterol-efflux-capacity-Table.MesoRx.png

Back