Pendlay Row vs One-Arm Dumbbell Row for lats?

rthor4573

Most programs are what 8-12 weeks ish? Doubling it when you're new, getting your newbie gains that first year, when your body doesn't need a ton of variety I dont think is a terrible idea. Your weight lifted will increase the whole time, likely, as a newbie. And especially when running a strength program.

I just think doing a specific programming for a longer streak when you are starting out puts you at a better vantage point to gauge future training decisions.

This is all my opinion, but in retrospect, I wish I'd have followed a model more like this when I started out. I jumped around a bit, admittedly likely too much.

Oldschool

Really depends on goals. For me for example I’ve been running the same strength/Hypertrophy hybrid program for about 8 months. Just because it’s the same program (mapped out for 12 months) it runs different phases of reps/sets and rotates different movements all based on strengthening my main compound movements.

I think that constantly changing programs when “you’re newish” sets you up for bad habits. People tend to blame the program first before really looking at their diet, sleep, etc..

Everyone’s different though, not written in stone. If a program is really bothersome and I hate it - been on it for at least 3 months and gave it a shot I’d be open to changing it. Nothing wrong with changing something that isn’t working. I just feel that giving something at least 3 months is best to gauge your results.
I hear you. Three months I’m good with. 6 months not for me. I love switching between Creeping Death II and Greyskull LP OG plan. Run a powerlifting style program for awhile. Hit a bodybuilding type workout for awhile. In my opinion it’s best to hit the gear hard along with both style programs while you are young. Build a solid base in both aspects. Then adjust as you get older to what works best for you. Take advantage of your youth while you can.

rthor4573

@Oldschool I wouldn't recommend sticking with a program for 6 months to someone who's been training more than, say, a year. Generally, no, I dont think its a good idea. But specific to his situation, I think it can be applied.

rthor4573

I hear you. Three months I’m good with. 6 months not for me. I love switching between Creeping Death II and Greyskull LP OG plan. Run a powerlifting style program for awhile. Hit a bodybuilding type workout for awhile. In my opinion it’s best to hit the gear hard along with both style programs while you are young. Build a solid base in both aspects. Then adjust as you get older to what works best for you. Take advantage of your youth while you can.
I'm about to start CD2! I'm excited

Code:
https://blackironbeast.com/5/3/1/calculator

The basic idea is:

Monday
OHP main lift then 5-8x3 at starting weight
bench variation 10x5
chin-ups 10x5

Tuesday
Deadlift main lift then 5-8x3 at starting weight
squat variation 10x5
ab wheel 10-20x3

Thursday
Bench main lift then 5-8x3 at starting weight
OHP 10x5
dumbell rows 10x5

Friday
Squat 531 then 5-8x3 at starting weight
deadlift variation 10x5
hanging leg raises 10x5

That's the core program. You can do accessory work however you want. I always liked doing triceps and facepulls with OHP/bench and biceps and mid delts with deadlift/squat. Just pick a couple accessories and do them for a couple sets

Like @rthor4573 said, it's important to stick with it whatever routine you choose. I wouldn't have even said anything but Stronglifts is an objectively terrible program... especially if you're lifting to look good

That stuff looks cool thanks. I may need to dm you as well about how to use calculator cause I am stupid and don't have the 5/3/1 book lots of things they typed there are confusing to me :D

I want my lats to grow. I like lifting heavy weights but I must say Pendlay Row is a bit of an awkward exercise. It is included in StrongLifts 5x5. I'm only interested in hypertrophy (do not have intentions to ever become a powerlifter). Do you think I should substitute Pendlay Rows with One-Arm Dumbbell Rows? Are those two equally good for building big strong back muscles? If you think Pendlay Row is a really decent exercise over OADR though I am willing to learn dedicate myself to it.
Mixing things up creates muscle hypertrophy. I constantly sub one workout for another. Are you keeping a log book? I would highly recommend it.

Working out 4 days a week with compound exercises is fine for a natural lifter. Just pace yourself and you'll be alright.

The 5/3/1 boring but big variant is a good 4 day option for building muscle and getting stronger at the same time. I highly recommend the "first set last" variant where you do 3 sets of 5-8 after your main sets. That variant gives you more volume in the "hypertrophy range" and should suit your goals well. I've seen it work magic for beginners. People will say that 5/3/1 is more of an intermediate program, but it's amazing for starting out because it teaches you the lifts and the progression is super easy to follow.

As a bonus, there are about a million good apps for tracking 5/3/1.

I wouldn't recommend my program that I told you about before. You're going to want to learn to squat and deadlift with fresh legs. My routine leaves your legs a bit sore for the next workout.
I was going to suggest the same 5/3/1 variation.
OP, I don’t know how long you’ve been lifting, but if you’re just getting going (year or less) and don’t have much experience with the big 4 lifts, 5x5 is a decent program. IMO, everyone should start out working on a basic foundation of strength, which I think builds overall mass. Without a decent level of strength and the mass that goes along with it, hypertrophy work makes people look kinda disproportionate. Getting strong in your squat, deads, bench, and press will grow mass in the legs, back, chest, and traps that, IMO, is essential to really looking like you lift.
I recall some story about Ronnie Coleman and some kid who asked him what he should do to get bigger arms. Ronnie’s answer: squat more.

I was going to suggest the same 5/3/1 variation.
OP, I don’t know how long you’ve been lifting, but if you’re just getting going (year or less) and don’t have much experience with the big 4 lifts, 5x5 is a decent program. IMO, everyone should start out working on a basic foundation of strength, which I think builds overall mass. Without a decent level of strength and the mass that goes along with it, hypertrophy work makes people look kinda disproportionate. Getting strong in your squat, deads, bench, and press will grow mass in the legs, back, chest, and traps that, IMO, is essential to really looking like you lift.
I recall some story about Ronnie Coleman and some kid who asked him what he should do to get bigger arms. Ronnie’s answer: squat more.

That's by far the most well explained response I got from anyone on this forum xD

Sponsored Links