Performance enhancement via transcranial direct current stimulation at 2016 Rio Olympics

Millard

Elite
Staff member
10+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Performance Enhancement via tDCS (Halo Sport)?

"At the upcoming Summer Olympic Games in Rio at least five athletes will be competing using a strange and unproven technology, transcranial direct current stimulation, or tDCS. The (ahem) brainchild of San Francisco-based Halo Neuroscience, tDCS shoots a 1.5 to 2 milliamp current to the brain’s motor cortex with the idea that it will boost the neurons there, making them more easily fired and the athlete that much faster and stronger. The headset also resembles a pair of Beats headphones, so you can be stylish while zapping your grey matter."

Source: http://www.geek.com/science/forget-doping-olympic-athletes-are-now-shooting-electricity-into-their-brains-1664830/

Athletes using Halo Sport at 2016 Rio Olympics:
  • Hafsatu Kamara, the female 100m sprinter from Sierra Leone in Africa participating in her first Olympics in Brazil;
  • Michael Tinsley, a United States 400m hurdler and silver medal winner at the 2012 London games in the UK;
  • Mike Rodgers, a 4x100m relay sprinter for the United States and winner of a 2015 World Relay Championships gold;
  • Mikel Thomas, the 100m hurdler from Trinidad & Tobago who made his first Olympics appearance in the 2008 Beijing Olympics, and
  • Natasha Hastings, an American 400m woman sprinter and Olympic gold medal winner in the 2008 women’s 4x400m relay in China.
  • Samantha Achterberg from Denver , she competes in the modern Pentathlon which consists of fencing, pistol shooting, swimming, horse riding, and cross-country running while training at the USOC facilities in Colorado Springs.
Source: Halo Neuroscience Rio Olympics Partnerships | Sports Techie

Now only if drouds will become a reality and is a device that plugs into a socket on a person's head to provide stimulus to the brain directly. This comes from Larry Niven's book Ringworld. Imagine that!

Wait? I'm confused, how is this sort of enhancement ok and others not? It's ok for an athlete to enhance themselves with electricity but not chemistry?

Wait? I'm confused, how is this sort of enhancement ok and others not? It's ok for an athlete to enhance themselves with electricity but not chemistry?

I was just thinking that. What if one of these athletes takes 1st? Do they get the medal or no

I was just thinking that. What if one of these athletes takes 1st? Do they get the medal or no

Exactly, if one of them took first, the first thing everyone would say is "would they have taken first if they didn't use that device". And at that point what does it matter if it was some newfangled tech bombarding their brain with electricity or a big ass shot of test? But for the enhancement, whatever it may be, would they still have won.....

Exactly, if one of them took first, the first thing everyone would say is "would they have taken first if they didn't use that device". And at that point what does it matter if it was some newfangled tech bombarding their brain with electricity or a big ass shot of test? But for the enhancement, whatever it may be, would they still have won.....

I remember reading somewhere that if an athlete could prove they would not take 1st in an event, they could use PED'S, or at least that was up in the air for discussion.

Guess we will find out!

it's so new that they don't have any laws against it. Just like flying drones. That's why the first people who took steroids and placed first kept the medal.

it's so new that they don't have any laws against it. Just like flying drones. That's why the first people who took steroids and placed first kept the medal.
But watch the wingnuts at WADA or even the bb/pl feds try to ban something like this.

Sponsors