MESO-Rx Exclusive Peter Bond on anabolic steroids and the prostate

MESO-Rx Administrator

Administrator
Staff member
10+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
@PeterBond examines the link between anabolic steroids and prostate growth in his most recent article for MESO-Rx. Bond criticizes the medical dogma that furthered "a particular train of thought in anabolic steroid research and prostate cancer for many decades":

"The dogma would ensure that anyone with prostate cancer, a history of prostate cancer, or at risk of prostate cancer, was denied any prospect of being treated for their testosterone deficiency with TRT. Gladly, the tide would turn in 2004."

Thank you again, @PeterBond you've been prolific lately!

I have accepted as dogma the AAS-BPH link and actually believed it was causally linked. Well, the more you learn.

In one of the citations (PS if you have a way to also place a "Cite as" on your Meso articles I'd be grateful), Nieschlag (2015), it is quoted under the topic of BPH "...As several AAS also have gestagenic activity in addition to androgenic effects, some AAS may prevent testosterone-dependent prostate growth when given in combination and this may explain the low incidence of BPH in AAS abusers."

Has this hypothesis ever been explored more deeply? I wonder specifically about Tren and its progestin activity.

Another question on the matter of tren, is there any indication of any enzymatic, e.g. any sort of 17beta-HSD link to explain its antiglucocorticoid activity analogous to fluoxymesterone's 11β-HSD2 antiglucocorticoid (and potential mineralocorticoid) activity? Is the cited paper in the Book on Steroids on methyltrien the closest we get to such? PS is there a second Book on Steroids out I need to get?

Thank you again, @PeterBond you've been prolific lately!

I have accepted as dogma the AAS-BPH link and actually believed it was causally linked. Well, the more you learn.

In one of the citations (PS if you have a way to also place a "Cite as" on your Meso articles I'd be grateful), Nieschlag (2015), it is quoted under the topic of BPH "...As several AAS also have gestagenic activity in addition to androgenic effects, some AAS may prevent testosterone-dependent prostate growth when given in combination and this may explain the low incidence of BPH in AAS abusers."

Has this hypothesis ever been explored more deeply? I wonder specifically about Tren and its progestin activity.

Another question on the matter of tren, is there any indication of any enzymatic, e.g. any sort of 17beta-HSD link to explain its antiglucocorticoid activity analogous to fluoxymesterone's 11β-HSD2 antiglucocorticoid (and potential mineralocorticoid) activity? Is the cited paper in the Book on Steroids on methyltrien the closest we get to such? PS is there a second Book on Steroids out I need to get?
There is some scarce evidence that progestenic action in the prostate counteracted prostate growth. I never really looked into that to be honest. But I doubt it's really promising at the moment, as I most likely would've picked that up somehow.

With regard to tren; it decreases GR expression in animal models (I'm sure a rodent model, and if memory serves me correctly, sheep too). But the question is to which extent this is specific to trenbolone.

It wouldn't surprise me in the least if trenbolone would bind the MR too. It's also quite ambiguous in its binding; the methyl group on methyltren just seems to increase the affinity for all receptors more in this specific case.

And to answer the question about the book: there's no second edition yet, but it's in the making! You can drop your email address here to be notified when it's released: 2nd edition Book on Steroids? And some more coming up

But this will likely be somewhere in 2023. I'm currently still compiling research. I'm aiming to include SARMs, PPARs, thyroid hormones, GH, and some cutting agents like DNP, clenbuterol and salbutamol. And, of course, I'll be revising all sections. If time allows, I might also introduce some new AAS sections with regard to tendons/injuries, cardiac electrical conduction and the nervous system.