Pressure cooker fir sterilization

Seems there are multiple ways to get the same results. You should continue with what works for you. I don't worry about dust or flakes as my filtering takes any thing like that out. and i use presterilized vials so i don't have to worry about those. I just need to sterilize my glassware.
Yeah it seems a lot of people like using the pre sterilized vials. I don't do that I'll just wash out my vial or media bottles (got to be careful what I call them around here). I use an ISO rinse. 100-500 and 1000ml vials or media bottles. I've got 2x 1 ltr media bottles now full of test prop and test c cooked up maybe a decade ago. I've used off and on in has remained totally sterile. Those bottles I simply rinsed in ISO placed the butyl septum gl45 caps on loosely and ran through the pressure cooker. When it's time to transfer the filtered oil from the vac filter beaker I just quickly pull off the cap, pour off the oil and recap. Pressure cooker method is simple for crimp top vials as well. Rinse with ISO, dry under cover, loosely place butyl stoppers on top and pressure cook.

Yeah it seems a lot of people like using the pre sterilized vials. I don't do that I'll just wash out my vial or media bottles (got to be careful what I call them around here). I use an ISO rinse. 100-500 and 1000ml vials or media bottles. I've got 2x 1 ltr media bottles now full of test prop and test c cooked up maybe a decade ago. I've used off and on in has remained totally sterile. Those bottles I simply rinsed in ISO placed the butyl septum gl45 caps on loosely and ran through the pressure cooker. When it's time to transfer the filtered oil from the vac filter beaker I just quickly pull off the cap, pour off the oil and recap. Pressure cooker method is simple for crimp top vials as well. Rinse with ISO, dry under cover, loosely place butyl stoppers on top and pressure cook.
I am more lazy. And don't want to spend more time then i have to. My way takes a couple minutes ordering on the internet!

Same thing, I don’t need to be fancy. Wash your beaker with water and soap, alcohol, distilled water then heat it in the oven to dry out.

Brew a few batches of 100ml compounds then filter into premade sterile vials. You can do 500ml in 2-3 hrs, its simple and straightforward as it comes. Downside is forearm pumps from the filtering process unless you’ve got a set up like spaceman spiff utilizing the caulking gun.

…. You brew 100ml batches & hand filter through a 0.22um with no caulk gun?

…. You brew 100ml batches & hand filter through a 0.22um with no caulk gun?
Yes sir, i’ve blown out a couple of filters using caulk gun by being an impatient mofo lol. I know it’s tedious and tiring but small enough batches not to kill my forearms. Worse thing that can happen is I have to reheat it again if I get tired of it and need to take a break.

Yes sir, i’ve blown out a couple of filters using caulk gun by being an impatient mofo lol. I know it’s tedious and tiring but small enough batches not to kill my forearms. Worse thing that can happen is I have to reheat it again if I get tired of it and need to take a break.
With the 60ml syringes??

Damn dude, I’ve done 50ml by hand before I think it took me 2 hours.

You’re wild, that’s a whole forearm day and a half right there

With the 60ml syringes??

Damn dude, I’ve done 50ml by hand before I think it took me 2 hours.

You’re wild, that’s a whole forearm day and a half right there
Haha filter it while its hot so it flows better. I can get 90-120 ml per filter, maybe struggle on my second third vial and sometimes need to switch to a new filter before the fourth 30ml vial is full.

Haha filter it while its hot so it flows better. I can get 90-120 ml per filter, maybe struggle on my second third vial and sometimes need to switch to a new filter before the fourth 30ml vial is full.
Yeah I need to get a temp gauge for my hot plate. I’m worried about over heating the compounds so I rarely apply heat, just let it magstir to solution. Ill do that next brew.

Just getting into homebrewing, reading and learning as I go. I've used a pressure cooker to sterilize glassware before. Does anyone here do that when homebrewing?
You can indeed use a home-grade pressure cooker for sterilizing glassware, which is a crucial step in homebrewing, especially when working with sensitive substances. However, it's important to consider specific specifications to ensure effective sterilization:

Pressure Requirements:
1. Ideal Pressure:
The pressure should ideally be around 14.7 psi or 100 kPa, which is optimal for maximizing sterilization efficacy.
Pressure Rating: Avoid pressure cookers that do not specify a capability of 100 kPa; these often only support up to 80 kPa and might not be effective for complete sterilization.
2. Valve Specifications:
Initial Pressure Valve:
This valve closes when water begins to boil.
60 - 80 kPa Pressure Valve: Allows for lower pressure cooking.
100 kPa Pressure Valve: Suitable for effective sterilization.
140 - 160 kPa Pressure Valve: Acts as an emergency release to prevent potential explosions.
3. Pressure Selection:
-The cooker should allow for selectable pressure settings between 80 and 100 kPa, with 100 kPa being preferable for sterilization purposes.
4. Types of Autoclave Operations:
Wet Autoclave
: After the cycle finishes, release the pressure valve without opening the pot. This method retains moisture inside, which can be beneficial for certain sterilization processes.
Dry Autoclave: After releasing all pressure, open the pot and allow everything inside to evaporate fully. This method is akin to a drying cycle in a traditional autoclave and can be useful for drying glassware post-sterilization.
5. Advantages of Using a Pressure Cooker Over a Conventional Autoclave:
- Pressure cookers are not only effective but also more practical for home and occasional use. They are generally lighter and easier to handle compared to lab or industrial autoclaves. The convenience of the lid mechanism on a pressure cooker, which is much simpler to operate, makes it a preferable choice. Additionally, pressure cookers are easier to clean and maintain, making them ideal for those who do not need the high frequency use that a conventional autoclave would support.

Good evening. Sorry for old post .
Why don't any of you use Medical Self Sealing Sterilisation Pouches (90mm x 260mm) BOX OF 20 (for example) when autoclaving? There are many different sizes of them. Vacuum drying is necessary so that the tools do not rust in the bags and so that they do not need to be dried separately. But sometimes this happens, and then the doctor's assistant simply opens the door of the autoclave and waits for them to dry and cool down. In these bags, you can perfectly sterilize the lids for vials. Tools and vials. And store in bags, keeping them steri

If you're worried about dust when using a magnetic stirrer with hot plate, why not cover it up ? A glass aquarium (new) round or regular is great for . Put all this on a sterile disposable surgical napkin (or sterilize something not woven) and it will be closer to laboratory conditions.

By the way, if you use sterilization pouch IMG_3249.jpegin Insta pot, you will never have any questions about whether the instruments are sterile or not. These bags have indicators that show whether the sterilization process was successful.