Protonmail currently under massive DDoS attack - out of service 36 hours and counting.

Discussion in 'Security, Privacy & Anonymity' started by Millard Baker, Nov 5, 2015.

1. LifeSTRONG

LifeSTRONG Member AnabolicLab.com Supporter

Lol I'm still waiting on my account lol so I guess I won't log in for a while, probably takes years to get a account now with everything going on

2. MindlessWork

MindlessWork Member AnabolicLab.com Supporter

I was able to get into my Protonmail yesterday evening but not tonight...seems these DDoS people are playing for keeps.

3. ROB581211

ROB581211 Member AnabolicLab.com Supporter

I was able to earlier today. They just posted that they are working on their infrastructure to resolve the problem

4. OdieM

OdieM Banned

You guys are able to sign in now? I haven't even been able to get to the login page since Wednesday. All I keep getting is " cannot open this page"

MindlessWork and strongsafety41 like this.
  5. MindlessWork

I wasn't able to login for past 2 days myself. Fuck all this DDoS crap :mad:

strongsafety41 likes this.
  6. ROB581211

ROB581211 Member AnabolicLab.com Supporter

I was able for a few hours Friday morning/afternoon but nothing since. They apparently have something in the world to fix the issue

7. Bradly

Bradly Member

Im a dummy about this kinda stuff but couldnt they have just hired cloudfare with that ransom money?

MindlessWork likes this.
  8. jaymaximus

jaymaximus Member

I got back on today. Then saw that all the emails I had sent out days ago hadnt gone out yet. This is a mess!

9. OdieM

OdieM Banned

I was able to finally log on today. Hopefully it stays that way

Darman likes this.
  10. MANWHORE

MANWHORE Member

Safemail is down too ..
    I knew it!!!
    The mothership is arriving and all telecommunications are dropping due to the ..

I'm going back to bed
    My butt still hurts from last night

11. MindlessWork

Ditto...finally also able to get into mine.

12. Bradly

Bradly Member

@Millard Baker

would couldfare not be able to mitigate this attack? too big?

also Ive seen before where they've changed the DNS to bounce the attack to say fbi.gov, attack stops shortly there after

ironic a bunch of mit and cern guys cant sort this out

13. MindlessWork

I can imagine how Millard would have handled a DDoS attack on Meso for example. Cloudflare can only handle so much.

heady muscle likes this.
  14. Bradly

Bradly Member

interesting
    welp, trying to pay these guys off was a terrible mistake. the unfortunate thing to do, would be just to try and wait out the attack, which could take weeks. these things just dont go on forever. I would think that $6000 could buy the best package cloudfare has to offer and then some.

kinda scary concept to think some of these same guys are tearing at the very fabric of the universe

heady muscle and MindlessWork like this.
  15. Millard Baker

Millard Baker Member

I'm sure Cloudflare could have done a much better job that Protonmail did. Maybe using Cloudflare introduces additional security risks to have a third-party company -- and a U.S.-based company at that -- cache protonmail files on potentially hundreds of servers around the world. I don't know.

heady muscle and MindlessWork like this.
  16. Millard Baker

Millard Baker Member

Cloudflare offers several DDoS protection packages - free, pro ($20/month), business w/ advance DDoS protection ($200), and enterprise-class (reportedly several $1000s per month).

MESO has had a few DDoS in the past (obviously nothing on the scale of Protonmail attack) and web host insisted they could mitigate without the need for the Cloudflare business package.

MindlessWork likes this.
  17. Millard Baker

Millard Baker Member

Protonmail once bragged that its data center - Deltalis Swiss Mountain Data Center - could withstand a nuclear attack because it was located deep inside a military bunkers under a granite mountain near Attinghausen in the Swiss Alps. Yet it was a cyber attack that brought it to its knees.

http://www.deltalis.com/facility/
    https://protonmail.com/blog/protonmail-at-swissnex-san-francisco/

It's physical security is still impressive. Although I wonder what the open request on Twitter for a new datacenter "brave enough" to host its servers means for the future of Protonmail.

MindlessWork likes this.
  18. Bradly

Bradly Member

interesting. if this was state sponsored like its alleged, perhaps that was the strategy. know what im sayin?

19. Millard Baker

Millard Baker Member

Yes. It did concern me when they suggested they may have been looking to move their servers to other datacenters. Did Deltalis ask them to leave? Did they lose confidence in Deltalis? I'm all for transparency but that was a disconcerting question to post publicly.

MindlessWork likes this.
  20. MANWHORE

MANWHORE Member

Safemail says they are dropping accounts with illegal activity ..
    Something like that