Re-filter ugl with non sterile filter

TomGlass

Yes I know..search bar and I've used the fuck out of it but I cant find a definitive answer. When using a 60cc syringe to refilter ugl gear into new sealed sterile viles using a ptfe 33mm .2um syringe filter, do the filters theirselves have to be sterile, when any solution run through .2um is deemed sterile after filtration?

Maybe I'm thinking about it too much maybe not. can someone please add some input here. I would greatly appreciate.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B09P8F2J39?ref=ppx_pt2_mob_b_prod_image

Also, what's the biggest gauge needle you would use on the filter output on a rubber stopper to not core it? Is 18 Guage too big, but 23 or 25 gauge OK? This is for oil based gear.
Some say 18g is too big. I ordered 20g but with the vials, all ypu need to do is wipe the rubber before and after each use with ipa. No need to recover or put a new top on. I just bought empty pre sealed sterile viles off amazon to refilter my kits

Just to be clear, is the general consensus PTFE over PVDF? and PTFE over nylon? Iv read pvdf can be slow. Hydrophilic over hydrophobic?
I use CA filters and never had an issue. They have limited capatibility with BA but at only 1% it’s not an issue. They have very fast flow rate, can filter at up to 100C & up to 100ml. Most other are 50C and only 20ml and slow as hell.

Yes. There is no data on bb compatibility with pvdf. There is with nylon or ptfe
I just make sure to run 1 mL oil through prior to using to wet filter and get it primed….i only have problems with each filtler of the biomed past 60mL, at 100 mL one popped due to pressure and being clogged, makes pressed way to hard. So i usually stop at 60 mL and then use a new one.

So i would just change the filter every 60 mL.

Also slight heat to the beaker warm to touch helps tremendously.

Not worth it, if the filter doesnt filter melted poweders, how is it going to filtrr a melted filter?
I filtered 20ml of npp 20ml primo and 20ml testc. I trashed them! Lesson learned. I knew something wasn't just right when I was filtering the npp something happened and it started pushing through real easy like the insides of the filter broke down. Then when filtering the test c toward the end I guess the filter stopped up. So I starting re reading filtering techniques and realized I had the wrong filters. Really the gear probly didn't need filtering anyway I was just doing it to be safer. Thanks for the replies guys.

Although I did the flashlight test and didn't see any floaters I tried to do some filtering.
Filtered some test e with the nylons and lost roughly 1-2ml. Obviously some was left in the filter (BA hasn't come in yet) and then towards the end I didn't notice I had push the breather down into the oil and some came out the breather. O well, Ill know next time, and doing it by hand is annoying.. Fuck it might as well buy raws if im gonna refilter and have to keep doing this shit.

Although I did the flashlight test and didn't see any floaters I tried to do some filtering.
Filtered some test e with the nylons and lost roughly 1-2ml. Obviously some was left in the filter (BA hasn't come in yet) and then towards the end I didn't notice I had push the breather down into the oil and some came out the breather. O well, Ill know next time, and doing it by hand is annoying.. Fuck it might as well buy raws if im gonna refilter and have to keep doing this shit.
Yea brewing is the way to go

My 23 gauge is certainly coring, am absolutely done with 23 gauge even though i have a whole box of BD 23 gauge, they are not working.
I ordered these for re-filtering and forget what gauge they are I think 20g but I can decipher the table.

Attachments

• 20240325_221339.jpg
    20240325_221339.jpg
    957.7 KB · Views: 10
  • 20240325_221850.jpg
    20240325_221850.jpg
    222.1 KB · Views: 10
I filtered 20ml of npp 20ml primo and 20ml testc. I trashed them! Lesson learned. I knew something wasn't just right when I was filtering the npp something happened and it started pushing through real easy like the insides of the filter broke down. Then when filtering the test c toward the end I guess the filter stopped up. So I starting re reading filtering techniques and realized I had the wrong filters. Really the gear probly didn't need filtering anyway I was just doing it to be safer. Thanks for the replies guys.
What filters do you use ? Nylon? That's what I'm doing. I may be f-ing it up. Lol