• ATTENTION New Members: Please take a few moments to introduce yourself, show your commitment to harm reduction, and chat with the community in the "New Member Introduction" subforum. This will help unlock access to additional forum features and privileges.

Reconstituting peptides/melanotan-2 with regular saline versus bacteriostatic/preserved saline (i.e. with benzyl alcohol)?

ThyroidMan2020

I recently discovered that benzyl alcohol can definitely impact the efficacy/effectiveness of other freeze-dried injectables (botox in my case).

It can actually neutralize it entirely.

Now obviously botox and melanotan are entirely different, however I suppose what I'm questioning at this point is:
  1. as I use melanotan by way of a nasal inhaler, is there any additional benefit to re-constituting it with bacteriostatic saline versus normal, unpreserved saline?
  2. some contend bacterial growth/formation can degrade the peptide quicker, but others contend the preservative merely acts to keep it sterile, may not impact efficacy?
Any thoughts/experiences?

Re alcohol effect:

GBKDZIJ.png

Wow. Thank you for this information. Can you tell me more about how you figured this out? Did your botox not work?

benzyl a shouldn't destroy botox as doesn't KILL just prevents proliferation of bacteria. vs ethyl alcohol that "cooks" protein.

in fact, quick search and no bacteriostatic water does not destroy botox.(in fact is preferred as has slight anesthetic effect) u have to be more careful, seem like running alot of half baked experiments and drawing strange conclusions with minimal research.

and yes ALWAYS ALWAYS use bac water if storing or reusing a peptide for injection.. only if making nasal spray can u use saline.

Wow. Thank you for this information. Can you tell me more about how you figured this out? Did your botox not work?

I was browsing a DIY skincare facebook group and someone mentioned it.

I've stopped adding BA when making up botox now and no problems.

I think it works better also, in fact it definitely does.

The botox I injected with too much BA didn't work.

benzyl a shouldn't destroy botox as doesn't KILL just prevents proliferation of bacteria. vs ethyl alcohol that "cooks" protein.

in fact, quick search and no bacteriostatic water does not destroy botox.(in fact is preferred as has slight anesthetic effect) u have to be more careful, seem like running alot of half baked experiments and drawing strange conclusions with minimal research.

and yes ALWAYS ALWAYS use bac water if storing or reusing a peptide for injection.. only if making nasal spray can u use saline.

I froze the botox that was reconstituted and it worked fine.

I think freezing inhibits bacteria growth.

It definitely seems more powerful without the BA.

I'm since wondering whether melanotan 2 could be more powerful without the BA also. I use this in nasal spray only.

Be aware that some peptides, including I believe Melanotan 2, are acetate based, and saline can cause a reaction causing sodium acetate to precipitate, destroying some of the peptides and reducing the effectiveness. I noticed this when using PT141 with a .9% saline with .9% BA water. It didn’t fully dissolve and there were hard flakes of an off-white color.

I was browsing a DIY skincare facebook group and someone mentioned it.

I've stopped adding BA when making up botox now and no problems.

I think it works better also, in fact it definitely does.

The botox I injected with too much BA didn't work.
Question: I went back and reviewed some of your posts, and I saw that you had the covid-19 vaccine. Are you aware that the vaccine has been reducing the effectiveness of botox?

Did you notice this Botox failing with BA since you had the covid-19 injections?

Question: I went back and reviewed some of your posts, and I saw that you had the covid-19 vaccine. Are you aware that the vaccine has been reducing the effectiveness of botox?

Did you notice this Botox failing with BA since you had the covid-19 injections?

It's possible, but its impact seems fairly low and is largely inconclusive.

Nothing to compare my failure of botox to since that was the only time I reconstituted using too much BA, and have since used it without BA and it worked well.

Be aware that some peptides, including I believe Melanotan 2, are acetate based, and saline can cause a reaction causing sodium acetate to precipitate, destroying some of the peptides and reducing the effectiveness. I noticed this when using PT141 with a .9% saline with .9% BA water. It didn’t fully dissolve and there were hard flakes of an off-white color.
This is interesting. Will have to look into this further.

not using the sterile/saline solution they provide as that stuff makes it degrade so much faster then bac water

As of last week I started using bac water instead of bac saline for mt2.

I dosed like I normally would.

Holy crap some heavy side effects.
It may have been the mt2 itself, bad batch?

But I had a mild panic attack first, then depression onset rest of the week.

I only noticed on Sunday when it got bad enough, I the anxiety spike cause my mild tinnitus to get way worse.

Hopefully it's just the mt2, maybe a contaminant in it?

Got a great tan from it though.

Suffice to say that yes, saline definitely does weaken mt2, no doubt.

Bac water is fine with it, saline = NA.

NEVER EVER USE SALINE IF REUSING A VILE>>> Jesus dude. never reconstitute peptides without BA ie bacteriostatic water.

yes folks note a flush and lack of appetite following MT2.. depression/flat mood is pretty frequent with many of popular peptides...

NEVER EVER USE SALINE IF REUSING A VILE>>> Jesus dude. never reconstitute peptides without BA ie bacteriostatic water.

yes folks note a flush and lack of appetite following MT2.. depression/flat mood is pretty frequent with many of popular peptides...

When I said saline I meant bacteriostatic saline;

As in I mix b-alcohol with saline, filter it to make bac-saline.

I had been using that but saline weakens mt2 (acetate -> sodium acetate, as per dude above).

ahh u make your own. as no commercial saline bac water at least common. its either saline or bac water (that sometimes may have buffer salts)

I actually noticed this this evening mixing mt2 with saline.

It formed a kind of an "off white" layer on the side of the vial that didn't dissolve when mixed with saline, but normally it just dissolves entirely with regular bac water.

Just from curiousity, how did you experience the PT141 effects with saline vs BA water?

Did you notice it was weaker or there was some other difference in its effects?